DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I need a Star Wars craft idea

JenniferL

My students have earned a reward day this Friday and I've offered to run a "Star Wars" day as the on campus option. (Off campus is go kart racing)

This needs to be an absolutely awesome day. Most of the kids participating are doing so because they didn't earn the go karts. However, there is a significant group who are staying behind out of choice, because they loooooove Star Wars.  I've already had to tell some of them that it's okay to dress up, but no lightsabers. The temptation for me to take them away and bean them in the back of the head is far, far too great.

This is all for middle school, BTW.

So far this is what I've got:

-Watch the original trilogy while doing a Star Wars trivia quiz.

-Design our own Death Stars using foam craft balls and paint

-Jedi fashion show (I'll bring my Goodwill box and let them play dress up)

-Jedi Training Obstacle Course

I'll probably make some word searches and coloring sheets to do while they watch the movies too. Ideally, they'd watch movies all day. Realistically, I need as many activities as possible.

Ideas??

Oh i have an idea, you know the starwars book series right?

pick something like around the Yuusian Vong (my spelling of that is a massacre) era or maybe one of the early age books like "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" and have the be a reward for your different quiz's and trivia (and see if you can write it off as a school expense if they'll let you)

How long are they in class with you? because between all 6 movies thats like 10 to 13 hours, so theoretically you could play movies all day while having other activities going on.

Also, the Jedi Training Obstacle course sounds awesome

I want to go back in time and have you as my teacher Kat. 

Watching the movies and having some star wars trivia is probably you're best bet.  Book trivia might be a bit obscure for the middle schoolers.  They're probably not into that, plus I'm boycotting* the books since Mar...erm, that one chick died.  I mean really Zahn created awesome characters and then everybody came and f'd up their storylines.  Bah, Bah I say.  But I'll digress.

Um, if you can find star wars snacks you could always serve those, and just generally sprinkle as much star wars stuff around the place as possible.  I have a wicked awesome collection of the star wars CCG cards you could borrow, but I'd need them back in good condition.  You know I still haven't found one person to play that with me.  Bah again, Bah I say.

That's what you should do.  Star wars CCG.  And then let me come and play, so I can beat the kids and taunt them mercilessly and call them poopyheads.

*nods*

JD,

Helpful

*  Boycotting by reading every single one of them on the day they come out, but then stating how much more awesome they'd be if the (i don't want to write in a spoiler) girl died.

Given the rampant dyslexia in our student population (I teach at a school for students with special needs), anything book related is a BAD idea.  But my AP says there's a giant box of popsicles in the freezer I can hand out as prizes. I may run by Party City tonight and get a few trinkets as well.

I like Barm's idea, but I think I'll turn it into Star Wars Pictionary.  The teams will be Rebels verses Empire, obviously.

Lightsaber duels are right out.

Alright, here's the plan for tomorrow:

-Original, pre-special edition movie marathon. While we do that, we will:

-Paint our Death Stars (I have foam craft balls for this)

-Work on a Star Wars trivia quiz

-Work on Star Wars word puzzles and coloring sheets

-Make Dagobah stew

Lunch

-Star Wars Pictionary team competition

-Jedi Training obstacle course (They have to run around cones, jump into hula hoops, etc. It's meant to be like Luke's training sequence on Dagobah)

Go Home

Aw, I didn't see this until now :( That's what I get for hiding in my ajah. Well, I have another idea anyway. Students come up with an alternate ending for the movies, and create a comic strip/comic book of it. The only extra preparation on your part would be to grab a ream of paper and some rulers (since you already have coloring supplies?), if you like the idea.

...plus I'm boycotting* the books since Mar...erm' date=' that one chick died.[/quote']

I've only been into the EU for a few months, but I've already decided I'm not going to read LotF for that very reason. :P Girl-who-died is one of my favorite characters, next to Luke and R2.

I want to go back in time and have you as my teacher Kat. 

Watching the movies and having some star wars trivia is probably you're best bet.  Book trivia might be a bit obscure for the middle schoolers.  They're probably not into that, plus I'm boycotting* the books since Mar...erm, that one chick died.  I mean really Zahn created awesome characters and then everybody came and f'd up their storylines.  Bah, Bah I say.  But I'll digress.

Um, if you can find star wars snacks you could always serve those, and just generally sprinkle as much star wars stuff around the place as possible.  I have a wicked awesome collection of the star wars CCG cards you could borrow, but I'd need them back in good condition.  You know I still haven't found one person to play that with me.  Bah again, Bah I say.

That's what you should do.  Star wars CCG.  And then let me come and play, so I can beat the kids and taunt them mercilessly and call them poopyheads.

*nods*

JD,

Helpful

*  Boycotting by reading every single one of them on the day they come out, but then stating how much more awesome they'd be if the (i don't want to write in a spoiler) girl died.

Justen, if you were female and my wife - heck, just female, I'd ask you to marry me on the spot.  I'm not kidding.  To heck with not knowing a single thing about you.

The Emperor's Hand is my favorite Star Wars character and I'm severly annoyed about it.  And, I also have Star Wars CCG cards and nobody to play with.  I too want to taunt little kids after beating them time and again because they have no clue how to play.

Kath, I think the 'making your own Death Star' is a fantastic idea!!!!  Just make sure they include a 2 meter (adjusted to scale of course) exhaust port somewhere at the end of a trench, thereby beckoning somebody to fire a missile into that exact spot and blow the whole damn thing up.  As an aside, for the amount of technology involved, you'd think the Empire would have had some common sense.  :-\

So Star Wars Day went off without a hitch. I totally over planned and had way more activities than we could do. Also, I under estimated the length of ANH by about an hour and a half.  So we spent most of our day watching that. I did offer other activities, but all twenty of them insisted on watching the movie.  They begged to watch Empire after that, but time was short and we'd never finish it. So instead we played Star Wars Pictionary and did the Jedi Fashion Show.  I'm sad we didn't get to do the training course or Death Stars, but I told them that I'd be all for running this Payoff again and we'd do those things first that time.

Oh, and we made a Dagobah Stew. I just grabbed random cheap veggies at the store last night, as well as a soup bone. I showed them how to boil the bone to make broth, then we chopped the veggies and added them to the pot along with a bunch of rice. I refused to touch it, because it looked like dishwater, but one kid ate three bowls of it. So it couldn't have been poison.

I just had to pop in and say how much I would have LOVED you as a teacher...actually I just couldn't help but post in a thread that had the words "Star Wars" in the title (I've been helplessly obsessed since I was about 5 :D) Justen, I "boycotted" the books the same way lol. Girl-who-died was in fact a phenomenal character, but they decided to mess with us in Legacy of the Force...lots of drama!

Back to the students though, the Dagobah stew sounds like a great idea...though you have to admit, that stuff looked nasty in tESB

*thirds her vote for Kathana as awesome teacher and wishing she had her!*

Anyone who loves Star Wars should join The Dark Jedi Brotherhood! Cuz its awesomness incarnate and Seggy and I are there! http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com PM me if you want to know more about it :D We're doing a big thing for Dcon this next year, I can't wait! I"m already pulling together stuff for my Sith costume ^^ If you decide to join without pming me be sure to use the pin # 5552 ! So you can get in the cool Clan, Naga Sadow.

I actually had a teacher show Star Wars ANH in sixth grade. We had field day, and I wasn't technically in his homeroom (I was in his history class), but I definitely stayed inside to watch the movie in his classroom. And he got me out of class the next year to watch it with his new class :) I think he was impressed by the SW books I was always carrying around... Oh and he tried all year to convince me that he was a Sith Lord, that he trained Yoda, and that Yoda betrayed him.

Each teacher is required to sponsor a club that meets one Friday a month as part of our system of rewards. Last year, I did "Roleplaying Games" and we played DnD. I nearly strangled them. Never, ever play DnD with a bunch of hyperactive middle schoolers who "just want to kill something!!!!".

This year, my club is "NameofSchoolCon", which means I get to do whatever nerdy thing my heart desires.  Last month we watched old episodes of Star Trek and debated Kirk vs. Picard (The kids thought Kirk was "emo".) I'm planning a comic book day next. We'll do a Heroes Season One marathon and make our own comic books. I'm think about doing BritComs too. And we're definitely doing an anime day along with the Japanese culture club.

*lol* Tifa, your teacher sounds just a little on the creepy side.  ;) :)

Don't forget "Black Adder", "Are You Being Served?", and "The Goodies". *remembers they're middle schoolers*  And then again maybe not... Wallace and Gromit?

Archived