DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Repeating after book 8?

mathias92

Not at all. On the contrary, the series evolves during the books quite much, you'll notice that soon, you can look forward to different things in different books, also the latter books in the series. Should you expect them to stay the same, you might find what you expect there to be to slow down, but there is as much new things happening in the later books as the early ones. Plenty of things to remember and puzzle out too, there.

Indeed.  There will be some [glow=red,2,300]very[/glow] interesting plot developments.  You will be missing out if you stop reading after Book 8.  On the other hand, the plot slows down somewhat and you may come to dislike certain characters (I won't say who so that you won't be biased  :P).  And don't worry--Book 11 is excellent.  The pacing picks up, several important plot threads are resolved, and several characters redeem themselves (in my eyes).  But you can't get to Book 11 unless you read 8-10. ;)

Ah thats good :D

I was going to read them anyway, but I just wanted to make sure ;)

I started reading the first book some weeks ago and I just got totally hooked. I didnt have anything else to do so I read through it on 5 days. For you guys thats probably not so good, but for me that is INCREDIBLE

I would like you to explain what you mean by "repeating."

You think the 9th, 10th, and 11th books could be just rehashed versions of Path of Daggers?

I want clarification.... Please.

I started reading the first book some weeks ago and I just got totally hooked. I didnt have anything else to do so I read through it on 5 days. For you guys thats probably not so good, but for me that is INCREDIBLE

My average for a book I get into is about 17 hours for 700 pages.

The first time I read the WOT, I probably read each book in about 6 hours.  I'm a bookworm, but I tend to miss some of the details (you know, I sorta skim over the dress details and stuff  ;)).  If I like the book enough, I'll always reread at a much slower pace.

Cockta: Well haha, I was out and slept in the boat with my parents for a week and I didnt have anything else to do

Roxinos: By repeating I mean like there is nothing new, just the same problems like before and stuff, woa you read faaast.

Hybrid: Haha ya I know what you mean but I am kinda different on the details, when the action comes and it's stuper exiting I read like ultra fast and jump every other word because I want to know what happens xD But I "fall back" and read it again after then ;D

Ya, I know quite a few people who are faster than me. Shames me. *cry*

But I never skim. I make sure to read each and every word.

I know someone who read 13 pages right in front of me in about a minute and 30 seconds.

Roxinos: By repeating I mean like there is nothing new, just the same problems like before and stuff

Slap whoever you heard that from. With a very large bat.

woa you read faaast.

Read above.

Books 1-6 are the best. The others sort of continue the story but I wasn't as thrilled with them as I am with the first few.

There is no repetition. How could there be? I don't think that is even possible. It is one story that is going on through 12 books.

I've talked to a lot of people who started reading the WoT. Nearly 60% of them stopped after books 4 or 5 because the story seemed to drag. While I agree somewhat, I wouldn't let that stop me from reading on.

Reach the end and then come on here. ;)

Guest Dreadlord

Dont let anyone elses judgement put you off; at the end of the day, everyone is different so each of us have different preferences in books.

I agree that the pace slows down but that isnt a bad thing at all. I also agree that the first half (ish) of the series is more intense because of the faster pace, but from sort of book 8-11 there are many things happening that we are still looking forward to seeing the end of.

Yup.

Everyone has an different opinion about each book in the series.

While most people thought the 10th book was the worst, IMO it is above book 8, The Path of Daggers (which was my least fave book in the series).

For some reason I had a hard time reading book 8 (took me almost 2 weeks to read it), yet I'm reading book 10 right now and I've already read 430 pages in 3 days.

This is how I'd rank them, from most favorite to least favorite:

1.  The Eye of the World, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven

2.  The Great Hunt

3.  Lord of Chaos

4.  The Dragon Reborn

5.  Winter's Heart and A Crown of Swords

6.  Crossroads of Twilight

7.  The Path of Daggers

I haven't read the 11th book yet. 

I mostly agree with you, runner1.  You know, it's funny, when I first read the series, TEOTW was one of my least favorites, but it's been growing on me.  Part of the reason, I think, is that there was so much mystery in it.  Rand was just a young guy out in a dangerous, unfathomable world, and that really works well in fantasy.

You should read KOD.  It's awesome.  A bunch of plot threads are concluded, and the pace picks up again.  KOD also gives this feeling of the imminence of TG.  It feels like the relative calm before the storm, so to speak.  Events are building up for the conclusion.

My list:

1. Knife of Dreams

2. The Shadow Rising

3. The Fires of Heaven

4. The Dragon Reborn

5. The Eye of the World

6. Lord of Chaos

7. Winter's Heart

8. A Crown of Swords

9. Crossroads of Twilight

10. The Great Hunt

11. The Path of Daggers

The Great Hunt is my favorite, nobody stands still for more than a minute, Lanfear is in our faces, and Padan Fain is the main threat. I love it.

The few books centered around the Ashaman and Black Tower developments are also way up there

Did you guys ever notice that after book 6 or 7 when the plot slows down that RJ started talking about cloths a lot? he also started paying more attention to relationship between characters which is good sometimes but also a little boring, (perrin was my favorite character b4 faile came along).

My favorite books are the first one and the last one but, i read all the books so closely together i cant really remember when one book ends and the next starts so I'm sure i have another.

I haven't gotten past Lord Of Chaos yet stuff has come up that has interfered in my ability to listen to my audio books. But I have heard that at least Crossroads Of Twilight has some parts that take place durring what happens at the end of Winters Heart that shows reactions from different people at different locations when it happens. Other than that no real repeteing that I am aware of.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]starwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif

I finally finished KoD, since i didn't want to touch this book without going through the whole series again.

Ive been going through the Forums, and most users seem to love all the books including the later ones. According to me the first 5 books were just brilliant, they keep you involved, they are fast paced, without compromising on the details. I liked the 6th book, though didn't think it was as good as the first five.

But then, the series seemed to go down hill, with every successive book. They became shorter, with less events, and increasing unnecessary details. It seriously felt that the series was being unnecessarily dragged out, by exploiting a VERY loyal fan base,(which includes me)..

The 10th book being the worst of the lot. RJ seemed to be more interested on what clothes the characters are wearing, and what furniture is placed where than carrying the plot forward.

The 11th book, I believe was so appreciated because the previous books were so off the mark. It gives the impression that someone jolted RJ out of his stupor, and he then scrambled to tie of plot ends which begged conclusion for a very long time. Not to say that it wasnt a good read. I especially liked the Chapter with Egwene in the you know where, going about her business. It was one of the most enjoyable parts of the book. But the Perrin plot, which was really dragged out finally came to a very unsurprising conclusion. Even the the rest of the plot lines are abruptly dealt with, as if RJ was trying to compensate for the 10th book. As the series stands now, the only interesting main characters left for me are Mat, Thom, Egwene, Lan. The rest having become extremely An*l.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anyway, desperately waiting for MoL, and will have to keep myself happy with the The New Spring till then.

Guest Dreadlord

Im not keen on Egwene, and while Thom is good he seems less and less like a main character to me. Perrin starts out well but as said already he goes downhill when Faile changes him. My favorite characters Rand, Mat, Nynaeve, Moiraine, Cadsuane, Logain, Fain, Shaidar, Ishamael/Moridin, and Taim. Definitely not in order though.

Taim in KoD epilogue made that book for me

Taim in KoD epilogue made that book for me

Indeed.  Taim, hopefully, is going to kick some Light ass.

Perrin and Faile really piss me off.  Rand started out well, but he stubbornness has been getting on my nerves.  Egwene started out poorly, but since she's come into a position of power and is actually working at something, I've begun to respect her more and all of the other Aes Sedai less.  I am prepared for some intense pyrotechnics in Book 12, when she confronts Rand.  Nynaeve has been growing on me.  Elayne is a spoiled noble and deserves to have a terrible tragedy befall her.  Mat of course is the best character in the series.  Taim of course is awesome because he's Taim.  Cadsuane is Cadsuane, and I actually like her character because she takes no nonsense from anyone.  Ishamael/Moridin is my favorite Chosen by far, because he knows what's going to happen if the DO wins, and he doesn't care!

I agree that many of the plot lines could have been resolved in book 10. KoD did have the feeling there were way too many plots to be resolved and time is running short. But it certainly made the book dynamic and exciting.

I still generally love all of the characters except Perrin and Faile... although Elayne is starting to go downhill with her stupidity. My favorites are Nynaeve and Mat - although the chapter through Tuon's PoV was BRILLIANT and made me fall in love with her. When she uttered "Mat Cauthon is my husband" I just got a whole jolt of chills.

And Nynaeve's little spiel in "The Golden Crane" was remarkable.

KoD had a slew of great moments... but tons of those could have been tied up in CoT. I think the battle of Malden could have happened in book 10.

One of my favorite moments in KOD is when Kadere finds Mat's camp and gets everything wrong.  And then Mat shows up and starts telling him the situation, and Tuon finishes the ceremony.  I almost feel sorry for Kadere.  He goes in, and everything gets turned on its head.

Archived