DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battle of the Bands - INDIE

Corki

Week 8 is the last week of genres. And the penultimate thread before the knock out stages is for the category of Indie. Below are the nominations from the three Regiments.

The Archers have nominated... MODEST MOUSE

Modest Mouse is an American indie rock formed in 1993 with singer/lyricist/guitarist Isaac Brock, drummer Jeremiah Green, bassist Eric Judy, and guitarist Dann Gallucci.  They have released five studio albums over the course of their 15 year career, including their fourth album, Good News for People Who Love Bad News, which brought them mainstream recognition.  The album contained their two most popular singles, “Float On” and “Ocean Breathes Salty”, which still enjoy widespread radio play today.  Their most recent album, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, was their first album to reach number one on the US Billboard 200 charts.  The band plans to tour with R.E.M. and The National in 2008. 

Ocean Breathes Salty

Dashboard

Missed the Boat

The Cavalry have nominated... THE UGLI STICK

The Cavalry is goin to put forth a true Indie Band. One that is unknown to pretty near all of you. Self written, Self Promoted, Self Produced, and being discovered by word of mouth and appearances all over the Southern U.S. and now the world with their recent trip to Korea being just completed. Mobile, Alabama's UGLI STICK are on a slow but steady climb to success. At least their fans hope so.........

Their music is undefinable. It crosses and blends so many different styles. Just like the music we get in the air we breathe on the Gulf Coast. Rock, Country, New Orleans R&B, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Hip Hop, Pop and others. What they have is a unique Ugli Stick sound.... Gumbo Music until someone pens something better  ;)

And very Independent... I'm gonna insert below some of the bio from their website.. http://www.theuglistick.com/

~~ The Ugli Stick is led by frontman Eric Erdman, an acoustic guitar player with magnetic stage presence and undeniable charisma. Backing him with melodious harmonies is lead guitarist and fellow songwriter, Dale Drinkard. Drummer, Tim Stanton, is the heartbeat of the band. And the groove that binds it all together is the phenomenal Quintin Berry, a one-of-a-kind bass player that is as much fun to watch as he is to hear.

Now playing almost 200 shows a year throughout six states, The Ugli Stick is one of the most popular touring bands in the Southeast. When not on the road, they’re writing and working on new songs. Their third album (released in August ’06) was recorded at the legendary FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, with producer Jimmy Nutt (Drive-By Truckers, Jimmy Buffett). “It’s one of the few places where legendary music was made and the main focus, even today, is still on the music ….and not the music industry” says lead guitarist, Dale Drinkard. “The ‘Muscle Shoals Sound’, made famous by artists like Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, The Rolling Stones, Wilson Pickett, Dewayne Allman…even Paul Simon…. is a blend of music. It’s blues, soul, country, rock….even gospel….and it crosses cultures, genres and races. That’s what The Ugli Stick’s music is all about  ~~

To give you some idea what it's all about here is their myspace page

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9560322

and a vid on YouTube that displays some of what the Incredible Quentin Berry can do. And also a taste of what we experience at their shows down here, fortunately for us still in bars, small venues and even private parties... 

The Infantry have nominated... MURDER BY DEATH

Murder by Death (formerly known as Little Joe Gould) is a four-piece rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. Their name comes from Robert Moore's 1976 movie of the same name.

The band plays an eclectic range of music, from eight minute ethereal instrumentals, to driving punk rock, to alt-country, and in one person's account, "It's like Johnny Cash and Tiger Army had a baby. That is Murder By Death." Their earlier releases create an eerie southern gothic sound accented by keyboard and electric cello while their later releases, which still incorporated the cello, but less keyboard, become more guitar driven with a combination of edgy punk sneering and fantastical western woes.

Many songs use themes such as zombies and the Devil that often tie into their concept albums. For example, their second full-length, Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them?, is the story of the Devil coming to a village in Mexico and the war that ensues between him and the townspeople.

The band was discovered by Thursday vocalist, Geoff Rickly, who helped them get signed to Eyeball Records and produced their second album. The group has played with a variety of artists such as Against Me!, Interpol, The Weakerthans, Clutch, Rasputina, Reverend Horton Heat, Lucero, Cursive, William Elliott Whitmore, Mock Orange and The Get Up Kids. In the summer of 2004, the group was direct support during the Braid United States reunion tour, along with Minus the Bear.

There you go. There are the 3 nominations. All you now need to do is pick who you want to win (please highlight in some way or another) and go through as the Champion of INDIE for the Grand Final! You have until Monday 30th June 2008 to make your choice!

Don't know why there's no Fiest up here, but hey, in absence of them I'll give my vote to Murder By Death, because, well, I haven't ever heard of any of these before, but I listened to songs from each, and I was on the verge of being disgusted with our (the archers) nomination, and the other one didn't even sound like music.

*Chuckles* .... So much for exposing new music  :-\  ;D

I'm Stickin to my guns  8) .........  Ugli Stick

What don't flamin sound like music Jr? Whaddya want, lutes and harps? Been on the Faroes a bit long have we?

Archived