DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Song of Ice and Fire

goldeneys

Hi everyone, sorry im in the discussion so late but i just joined dm this week.

Ive checked out the companion book two the GRRM song of ice and fire books. My recommendation is if you have an extra hour go over barnes and noble get a comfy chair and flip through it, definately not worth the 29.95. It has some cool art, especially the depiction of winterfell, but i found it a little disappointing when the character was different then I envisioned in my mind, not to say my opinion is right, I would just suggest that if you have a strong vision of a character in your mind its worth not seeing the book at all.

I have also checked out the role playing book of the game of thrones. The pictures are just as entertaining and hey if your gonna dish out 30 bucks anyway you might as well have the option to play a rp.

As for dany, I totally believe she will bare children, but am i the only one finding it kind of hard getting through affc, its just.... oh i dont know but its making me mad.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caitlyn is probably my least favorite character. I think because I like Jon so much and I can't stand how she treats him. But also because she is cold' date=' manipulative and self-serving. I never felt her character was very... interesting. Or nice.

Theon... Theon at least was interesting! I'm hoping the one that comes back is the Onion Knight.[/quote']

I forgot about Cat, yeah she was pretty worthless too. As for the returning character, he said it is a returning character from the second or first book. Davos was in the third book, he just part of the Arc that was omitted from AFfC and put into ADWD when GRRM decided to make it two books. So he will be back, don't worry, but so will Theon. :(

Anywho I am looking forward to the new book, since Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are all back and probably the best arcs IMO. All the Kraken stories in AFfC sucked, so I'm glad to see only two of them will be back. I'm hoping Bran will start getting more exciting now that he is better at warging.

I thought Theon was being moved into Book 6. I'm sure GRRM said something about that somewhere!But maybe I just made it up. *lol*

I'm very much looking forward to Tyrion in aDwD. He is definately one of my favourite characters and I missed him in AFFC. I think his sample chapter of GRRM's website is very promising and it made me very excited for devlopments in the book.

I didn't enjoy the Kraken chapters so much in AFFC either. My favourite new characters were probably the Martells. I was very, very excited by Doran Martell's final line :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm a little late in the discussion, but I'll add my 2 cents. If you don't want spoilers, stop reading now!

I believe that Jon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son (which is why he looks like a Stark), which would make him Dany's nephew even though he is older. Jon and Dany are the two characters that cannot be killed off, because Jon is the Ice and Dany is the Fire. Bran will be a magician or something like that, and I believe Coldhands is Benjen Stark. Arya will join up with Dany and her army. I must admit, I was quite surprised to find out that Beric Dondarrion was actually dead in AFfC.

I am really looking forward to finding out what happened to Brienne. But, unfortunately, we won't find out until book 6. Can't wait for ADwD!

Oh' date=' good! I forgot about Cersei for a second there. Yeah, I am really looking forward to finding out what happens to her, especially now that Jaime refuses to come to her aid.[/quote']

But he never refused! That's the whole point. I bet he'll appear in her judgement, fight for her and get killed. After all, he has become a Kingsguard in his soul. He will never turn his back on his vows.

---But he never refused! That's the whole point. I bet he'll appear in her judgement, fight for her and get killed. After all, he has become a Kingsguard in his soul. He will never turn his back on his vows.---

Well, not refused, but he did throw away the letter and decide not to go.

What Jaime does next will be very interesting. Will he change his mind and go help Cersei (and probably get splattered by Gregorstein)? Will he stay where he is? Will he be possessed by the ghost of Tywin and become a frenzied undead killing machine? Who knows! And, unless GRRM drops a chapter on him into the end of ADWD, we've only got about 3-4 years to wait to find out :(

A Feast for Crows is up for the Best Novel Hugo Award at this year's Worldcon, being held in Anaheim, Los Angeles, California right now. The awards are announced on Sunday afternoon. Competition is strong, particularly from Charles Stross' Accelerando and Charles Wilson's Spin, but GRRM has a good chance at victory.

For those unfamiliar with it, the Hugo is Science Fiction and Fantasy's equivalent to the Oscar. There is no higher accolade in the field. Just getting nominated for the award is an honour but winning it can add thousands of sales to a book or series. Previous winners include Orson Scott Card's mighty Ender's Game, Frank Herbert's Dune, Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars.

A Storm of Swords was also nominated for the Hugo in 2001, but lost out to some obscure novel called Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :wink:

I'm rereading ASOS right now and I just got done with the Arya chapter where the Hound reveals where he's taking her. He's getting pretty fed up with her trying to escape and the last line of the chapter is the Hound saying "I'm taking you to your uncle's bloody wedding." (or something close to that) I laughed pretty hard. If only he knew... :lol:

I come to you in a time of mourning...

I ask for a moment of silence, and that we bow our heads, as A Feast for Crows is laid to rest, without having recieved the Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Fantasy novel of 2006. The recipient was the book Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

Here's to hopes that A Dance with Dragons recieves the crown.

*silence*

To be honest, I think if AFFC had won, it would a vote for the whole series and not the novel itself. It's a great book, but definitely slightly weaker than the others. I'd rather the series win either overall (which would mean reinstating the Best Series Award, which was only awarded once about forty years ago) or perhaps the last novel getting a clean sweep. We'll see.

So I'm rereading A Storm of Swords again, and I got to the Arya chapter where she and Gendry play fight in the smithy, rolling around on the floor, and tearing Arya's new dress a little. Who thinks that, outside of Gendry or Arya dying in the next few books, Martin is trying to hint at a possible romantic relationship later on in the books?

Cause Gendry ends up joining with Lady Stoneheart (Catelyn) and though Stoneheart's practically insane, I think Gendry could turn and join Arya when she comes back. I think he views her in much the same way Jon does, though Gendry is not her cousin, so it wouldn't be as weird.

Anyway. Thoughts?

The three bastards of Robert (Gendry, Edric Storm and Mya Stone) probably have some kind of role to play, but I'm not sure what it will be. A possible Gendry-Arya romance may have been on the cards when the five-year gap was still in play (as Arya would be about 16 years old in the original version of ADWD), but now it's been abandoned I think it less likely. However, I'd say that Gendry and possibly Hot Pie (wherever he's gone) will be useful touchstones for Arya to reconnect with upon her return.

• 1 month later...

All I have to say is TYRION!!! I love that little man. All that brain is just plain sexy...

And one question... where's Rickon and shaggydog? We pretty much know where everyone else is. Somehow, I think that might have an impact somewhere down the road. I hate overlooking little things that seem unimportant only to have them bite me in the a$$ later...

He's in Oldtown with Osha, or at least that's where he was headed at the end of A Clash of Kings. Which means we'll probably see him in the next book when Davos goes to Oldtown. Either that or it's speculated that Osha may be the new viewpoint character, though I think Quentyn's more likely since he gets so much attention in A Feast for Crows.

Archived