DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Song of Ice and Fire

goldeneys

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like everyone else has previously said' date=' Goldeneyes, sorry that your father stopped you in the middle of SoS. I recently picked up this series while waiting for AMOL and the last battle. I just finished A Feast for Crows, and it keeps getting better. You should really try to persuade your father to let you finish the series if you can. It only gets better as you read more.

Also, a general question to all, who is your favorite character(s). I really like house Stark, and Jon Snow.[/quote']

If I try to persuade him...you don't know my dad.

I also LOVE house Stark, Eddard was definately my favorite character before he died, Jon...I donno, I liked Eddard, cuz he was all about honor.

My favourites are the Martells. You hear about them a lot in the earlier books before meeting Oberyn (active, passionate, vengeful) in ASoS, who turns out to be a very interesting character. Then in AFFC you get to meet the rest of the family and end up disliking Oberyn's brother Doran (fat, ill, passive) until the end of the final Dorne chapter, when he reveals that he is as firey as his brother, just a lot, lot more cunning.

Tyrion gets my vote as best character in the series and, frankly, best character in epic fantasy, ever.

Your Dad should just be happy that your reading a book and excercising your brain instead of frying it in front of a TV. Your gonna be exposed to worse language and subject matter than GrrM uses just going to school and talking with kids.

Unless your like 10. I dont think a 10 year could grasp A.S.o.F though.

Just finished SoS... Awesome. Now, while I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver my AFFC, I'll just resume my WoT re-reading.

So far my favourite character is Tyrion, but i like Davos and Jaime as well.

Like some I liked Ned and House Stark, but after his death all the stark chars became boring or stupid, or both. And they keep getting killed, so I don't like them any longer.

meh.. i have hid books i read from my mother since like i was 7-8 and she told me not to read a book she had prolly cause she thougth it would give me bad dreams...(whitches by roald dalh if anyone know it)..i did have some bad dreams for a while surely but got over it (and she never found out)

i just started on a song of ice and fire this summer and just finished book 2 yesterday on my nigth shift...cant wait to get my hands on the next book

i too like tyrion and the starks (mostly)...as well daeny but mostly for the interesting posibilities she brings to the plot...sansa is dead boring thoug..

Sort of off the subject' date=' but I'm rereading aGoT and in the sleeve where it talks about GRRM, it says something about the upcoming sequel entitled 'A Dance with Dragons.' Funny how things change.[/quote']

Oh yeah, back when GRRM hoped to make it a trilogy. Originally everything in the first three novels was supposed to be one book, 'A Game of Thrones'. Everything in Books 4-5 was supposed to be 'A Dance with Dragons' and everying in 6-7 was supposed to be 'The Winds of Winter'. But, as GRRM said, the story got too long.

Some news fresh in: there is going to be a A Song of Ice and Fire Companion book. Basically a 'good' version of Jordan's Big White Book (which wasn't that bad, it just had abominable artwork), it will be a guide to the people, history, culture, geography and heraldry of the Seven Kingdoms and will feature new maps and tons of new info not previously revealed anywhere else. GRRM is obviously busy writing the remaining books in the series, so he will provide the info for the books and the actual writing will be done by Elio 'Ran' Garcia and Linda Antonsson, who run the main ASoIaF webiste at http://www.westeros.org/ and previously contributed to the A Game of Thrones RPG book.

Whilst we're waiting for the book (which could be published as soon as Christmas 2007, but probably not for longer), there's a ton of Wikipedia articles on the series (look for the individual book names, Westeros, Wars in A Song of Ice and Fire and the house names) which may fill in some of the gaps in information.

As for Jon and Dany' date=' and this is just speculation on my part, I think they will turn out to be half siblings and in true Targaryen fashion get married and the dragons will rule again.

[/quote']

That would be foolish if they married, because then how could Jon carry on the blood line of the Targaryens, as Dany can no longer bear children.

For those of you who do not know what caitlin is talking about, probably the most talked about theory dealing with aSoIaF is R+L=J, as in Jon Snow is really the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, and therefore the rightful Targaryen heir.

Dany can no longer bear children

People have said that Dany can no longer bear children, and she believes it if I remember rightly, but I don't recall that this was ever proven. Not all that glitters is gold ... and in A Song of Ice and Fire, at least, not all that arrives stated as fact is true.

There is alot of speculation on that issue. Personally, I think she can, because otherwise, there is really very little point to her regaining the throne of Westeros.

However, this is discounting the theory that Rhaegar's son (Aegon, isn't it?? I don't have my books with me so I can't remember) is still alive, which is one of the other possibilities I have seen discussed on some ASOIAF boards. I believe the heir of Starfall, whose name is avading me at the moment, is one suggested candidate, as was Sam. Personally,I'm not quite so sure at that one. I'm pretty certain Jon is a Targaryen though! ;)

Christmas 2007 Werthead? I thought his last estimation was Summer 2007... :?

No, Christmas 2007 for the world book, not ADWD :wink:

A Dance with Dragons could be published as early as May 2007, possibly a couple of months later.

The survival of baby Aegon is based on two things: Rhaegar saying about Aegon, "His is the Song of Ice and Fire," in Dany's vision in the House of the Undying in Qarth (in the second book); and GRRM once saying that, "Certainly, Rhaenys died in the Sack of King's Landing," (and not mentioning her brother Aegon). Aegon's survival is possible, although GRRM's capacity to mess with his readers' heads with such comments should not be underestimated.

However, Edric Storm is too young to be Aegon (who would be about one to two years older than Jon). Samwell Tarly would be the right age, but to be honest there's zero evidence for it. The Tarlys, although on the Tyrell and thus the Targaryen side during the war, have no special relationship with the Targs which would make it unlikely they would harbour the heir to the throne, and certainly not exile him to the Wall. To be honest, I'd more readily believe that directly Jon = Aegon, although that also seems unlikely.

Thanks for that. I was a little confused.

I sort of agree with that sentiment about Aegon. I'm not sure the evidence is that strong other than GRRM's comment on the issue. But he is a big fan of shocking us, so it might be something he'd do. On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the idea of Sam or Jon being Aegon. I've been pretty convinced by the Rhaegar+Lyanna=Jon idea for a while, so it would make that a little redundant, and Sam just works well as he is. Add to the mix, he is actually heir to the throne of the Seven Kingdoms and it might just dent his viability as a character for me. I think if Aegon is alive, he isn't someone we have met yet.

I wouldn't believe Jon=Aegon ever, purely based on the fact that Jon looks more Stark than any of the other children. I would be very very surprised if Jon did not have a direct link to Stark blood, basically either Eddard or Lyanna.

I do think there is a possibility of Aegon still being alive, but I have no idea who he could be if he is.

Oh, and if Samwell Tarly turned out to be Aegon that would be probably the biggest disappointment ever, IMO. Just my two cents lol.

On A Dance with Dragons, GRRM still hopes to get it published before the end of this year. Since he hasn't given us a page count of where he's at since January, and he comments that he's finished with Jon, Tyrion, and some of the other characters, it seems likely that we'll be seeing the book in early 2007, depending on how fast the editing process takes this time.

Since most people believe that Theon will be the POV comeing back from earlier books, I was wondering who besides myself hopes Theon dies in ADWD? Personally he is one of my least favorite characters in the series after Cersei and Sansa.

Guest Karana Majin

Caitlyn is probably my least favorite character. I think because I like Jon so much and I can't stand how she treats him. But also because she is cold, manipulative and self-serving. I never felt her character was very... interesting. Or nice.

Theon... Theon at least was interesting! I'm hoping the one that comes back is the Onion Knight.

Complete POV list for ADWD:

Jon Snow

Bran Stark

Arya Stark

Asha Greyjoy

Theon Greyjoy

Davos Seaworth (the onion knight)

Tyrion Lannister

Daenerys Targaryen

An unknown new POV character (possibly Quentyn Martell)

(and yes, Asha and Arya are in both AFFC and ADWD)

The editing process for ADWD should take as long as AFFC's was (about five months for UK publication, six months for US publication). So if GRRM finishes the book by December (which is his plan) we might get the book by May in the UK and June/July for the USA.

Archived