DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Song of Ice and Fire

goldeneys

Guest Karana Majin

Mighte, I know! I kept thinking that as I was reading... I never believe it until I see the body with GRRM, although I surely don't doubt by now that he can kill off anyone. I was really starting to like that char, though!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I have to agree that GRRM certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat. I've just finished re-reading the first 3 books and am now into the 4th one finally. I bought it ages ago but only just got time to read it.

I think the way GRRM manages to have you hating a character so much and then gradually you start to see other sides to them and end up liking them is very clever. After all, people are not black and white, its much more realistic this way. I've always liked Tyrion but I'm beginning to really like Jaime too now. The only person that's still thoroughly unpleasant is Cersei and I can even understand her motivations.

As for the deaths, they're essential to the plot. With so many wars being fought and so much intrigue, people just have to die. It can get a little annoying if all the main characters actually survive right to the end.

oops sorry Golden, :( I never really thought of that as a spoiler, I was trying to be really general. Forgot what the situation was at the end of that bit you're at. I think your opinion of Jaime will change shortly though. Be interested to hear your views once you've caught up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've just finished the last book and Mightelove if you're thinking of the one I am, there is more than 1 I belive not dead yet. I think one character is the lame one now. trying to be vague so as not to spoil it for others who are not as far along.

MY APOLOGIES IF I HAVE SPIOLT IT FOR YOU

I am prepared to beg forgiveness if required

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm a mod on the quasi-official GRRM forum. If you have any queries chuck them my way.

Latest information on A Dance With Dragons is that it should be done by the end of the year and will be published in spring/summer 2007, maybe April at the earliest. He's experienced none of the problems he had writing the fourth novel, which is a great relief.

I'd also recommend the two ASoIaF prequel novellas: The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword. They add a lot of background info to the series and the second one in particular is important for establishing the historical origins of a group who will debut in the forthcoming fifth novel. They're also both very good.

The Hedge Knight is located in the anthology Legends edited by Robert Silverberg and is also available as an excellent graphic novel by Dabel. The Sworn Sword is located in Legends II, also edited by Robert Silverberg with a graphic novel version being written. There will be more short stories published inbetween the main novels in the series (of which there will be seven in total).

Guest Egwene

Goldie, sorry to hear you've been grounded on aSoIaF. Couldn't you explain to your Dad that after having read that much, you might as well carry on? The damage is done so to speak :wink: And not knowing what happens next is giving you nightmares?!

Like everyone else has previously said, Goldeneyes, sorry that your father stopped you in the middle of SoS. I recently picked up this series while waiting for AMOL and the last battle. I just finished A Feast for Crows, and it keeps getting better. You should really try to persuade your father to let you finish the series if you can. It only gets better as you read more.

Also, a general question to all, who is your favorite character(s). I really like house Stark, and Jon Snow.

Woah. That's harsh. Did you tell him about the books or did he read it himself? Is there a religious reason for this? I can imagine a Catholic being taken aback by the incest/window scene early in AGoT, but then I would point out that Jaime's redemptive plotline is a direct result of that scene. In Martin, nothing happens without consequence.

I think it is a more mature series though. I'd suggest a mature 14-year-old as the minimum for reading the series (whilst I'd be happy giving WoT to say an 11-or-12-year-old), probably older if in doubt.

Werthead, in the heart of our culturally bassakwards land most are still a bit squemish with some of Martins subject matter. Some, don't like to give up Potter to that age group.

I was lucky ,back in the 60's my dad left Bond and Matt Helm books around so's not to have that "conversation" with me i guess :) :) Thanks to them i'm a swave and deboner man to this day :lol:

Reading these posts, i need to listen to the series again. Thanks for the reminder you all.

I'm reading this series too. I've just finished A Clash of Kings.

I don't know what too say... so many sad stuff going on. I keep reading, hoping for some happines, and it doesn't show up. Damn.

I imagine that Robb dies, his mother get raped, the Wall falls, Ghost dies, Sansa is raped too, Arya is eaten by her lost shewolf, Rickon turns to a wildling and Jon kills him and so on. I hate that.

But I cant stop reading it. Damn Mr. Martin and his hypnotizing style of writing.

I absolutely adore this series of books. They just keep getting better and better, and I really love the fact that the characters are so realistic. It's not often that you read that the characters go to relieve themselves (in any way) or even have some of the thoughts they some of them have. It's refreshing.

I finished FfC the same day that I bought it and I cannot wait for the next book. After the Daeny teaser in that one, I'm dying to know what happens next. I have so many theories on where this book is going and I'm anxious to find out if any of them actually happen. GREAT books!

I'm reading this series too. I've just finished A Clash of Kings.

I don't know what too say... so many sad stuff going on. I keep reading' date=' hoping for some happines, and it doesn't show up. Damn.

I imagine that Robb dies, his mother get raped, the Wall falls, Ghost dies, Sansa is raped too, Arya is eaten by her lost shewolf, Rickon turns to a wildling and Jon kills him and so on. I hate that.

But I cant stop reading it. Damn Mr. Martin and his hypnotizing style of writing.[/quote']

You got some of those guesses right, some wrong and some have yet to be answered by the end of Book 4.

I love how you never ever know what's going to happen in this series--especially trying to figure out who will be killed off.

The only ones I'm banking on not dying are Arya, Jon, and Dany. Arya is my favorite, she's just h*ll on wheels, I love her. As for Jon and Dany, and this is just speculation on my part, I think they will turn out to be half siblings and in true Targaryen fashion get married and the dragons will rule again.

Oh, Tyrion will probably survive too just because he has so many people after him but has managed to survive so far.

caitlinsucks, I really like your thought about Jon and Dany. With Mr. Martins writings anything is possible. I agree that Jon and Arya will survive. I was really disappointed in FfC that there was not more Jon and Ghost involved, so now I want to see what is going to happen in the next one.

Book 4 was supposed to have all the characters in it, but it got too long, so GRRM cut about a third of the novel out (including all of Bran, Davos, Dany, Jon and Tyrion's chapters and half of Asha and Arya's chapters) so that AFFC would just focus on events in the South, in King's Landing, in Dorne, the Iron Islands and in Braavos. A Dance with Dragons, which should be released next May if not sooner, will instead focus on the Free Cities, the North and Slaver's Bay.

Jon will indeed be back in A Dance with Dragons. You can currently read Tyrion's first chapter from the book on George R.R. Martin's homepage under "Ice & Fire Sample".

There will also be a new POV character in A Dance with Dragons and an old one will be returning. And of course there's only one candidate for that :wink:

Archived