spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

I just think that too many things are left incomplete. Tarmon Gaidon, The destruction of the black tower, seanchan attack on white tower, egwene becoming official amyrlin, and all sorts of other stuff. Now, tarmon gaidon itself would most probably take up a lot of the book (at least 30% i'm assuming). I begin to wonder if RJ himself could have written this book in the way he wrote the others. now will the new author be able to give us something which I suspect even RJ himself may have not been able to? RJ had said somewhere that he would at all cost try to make it a single book, even if it is 1500 pages. Is B Sanderson upto the task of writing AMOL with the same intricate detail etc that we have seen in WOT ?  ???

I think Tor spent a long time, most likely alongside Harriet, to find the 'perfect' author. There's also a thread on here about Brandon Sanderson himself and his other books - how well people think he'll do with WoT. Use the search bar and search for him, I'm pretty sure you'll find things which relate to this subject.

Personally I've never read anything of his and dont want to, until i've read aMoL, because i want to be comparing it to RJ, not comparing it to his other works.

I chose wait and see, since we have not seen Brandon Sanderson write in the WOT series yet. Who knows how it will turn out, If RJ was still writing it I would say it was going to be great.

My gut kinda tells me it will still be great though.

I personally think that with the combination of RJs notes and Brandon Sanderson's writing ability, that we have a high probability of getting a great book.

From everything we have heard - RJ had put together a very good "framework" for how he wanted the last book to go.  Many chapters were near complete and he even had recordings of certian parts and especially "the ending".

On top of that - this Last book is going to be full of assorted battles:

The Black Tower battle.

The White Tower battle.    possibly x2

The Blight battle.

Hopefully a Seanchan battle where they finally meet Shadowspawn - there has been so much hinting at this that it will be a great disappointment if it does not occur.

+++

TG

After reading "Mistborn 1 & 2" I think Brandon S. is particulary good at battle scenes.  So for this particular book - B.S.  might be just the right (substitute) author to complete it. 

According to Brandon, AMOL will most likely not be the 15oo page monster RJ made us hope/fear for. It might not even be the longest book in the series, which indicates that there is not much left other than plot-resolving at a high pace.

Of course, Brandon did leave a disclaimer that the length was just his first assumption based on what RJ left behind, and once writing kicks off the wordcount might take on a life of its own.

Given that most of the framework is done and may chapters completed I think we will be happy with it. That said, I think it almost has to be the 1200-1500 page monster. There is so much left unresolved and to rush it's resolution is to NOT stay true to RJ's vision so I hope Mr. Sanderson will keep that in mind and tak it to heart.

I think it will be great.  A month ago I would have said it would be o.k.  I had only read Elantris (by Sanderson) up until that time.  It was a good read, but I wouldn't have recommended it to a friend.  However, now that I have read Mistborn and the Well of Ascension (both by Sanderson) I think it will be GREAT.  I would place those two books second in line to my favorite reads.  The WOT being the first.  I am totally psyched.

I agree with Majsju. As long as Harriett is involved it is going to be a great book. And Brandon Sanderson is not just looking at this to further his career, what better way to thank RJ for his series than to finish it as close to his (RJ) style as possible. This will stand as a lasting tribute to a wonderful man, author, friend, (I could go on for days) and everybody from TOR down will make sure it's great. Regardless, even if its bad you couldn't keep me from reading it.

I completely agree with AranAlandar. I expect aMoL to be a monster book anyhow but I'll be happy if its really long, because most of the unresolved plots are all very interesting. So, I'm sure that Sanderson cannot drag the story in any way. If he satisfies us all, answers all our questions, with the same amount of detail that RJ does, then I expect a fairly long book. The longer the better coz there's so many unresolved (and very interesting) plots! I would absolutely hate it if anything was rushed though. I have no idea about Sanderson's writing talent but I expect him to be a good writer because RJ's wife chose him. We shall see. Let the Dragon Ride again of the winds of time.

I think it will be great. Just the story that is going to be resolved will make it so. Also the fact that Harriet chose Sanderson and wil be the editor as well will help to make it so. Also Brandon Sanderson has officially added A Memory of Light to his progress bar so he is now officially working on the book we all wish was in our hands.

i more than suspect that there will be many unresolved plot-lines or partially resolved plot lines. there is just no way to wrap it all up in a nice little package....(im actually okay with this- i think a little mysticism is nice sometimes as long as its nothing major!!) like someone said earlier, fast-paced sequences wrapping up the most major plot lines with epic battles and what i assume will be a long chapter at the end to show "what happened after" TG...and how Randland is healing, etc. This will have highlights of plot resolutions as well.

i can't wait- RJ has laid it all out, BS will fill in the blanks and Harriet will be the editor that gives the book the flow. the same flow that she has graced ever other WOT book with. I truly believe that based on what we've been told, this book will flow just as well as any of the other books in the series. I'm giving it a solid 10 already.

Can we all not remember complaining about the last 3-4 books? It will be great, as although RJ was brilliant at compiling notes, he had been (understandably) a bit lax with the quality of his storytelling. Dragging out the boring stuff and rushing through the good parts.

BS is writing this book now and there's allot of pressure to make the fat lady sing. He'll do it, because it'll sell all the books he's going to write in the future, and he'll do it well - because at least 80% (of the ones I know anyway) of all fantasy fans are on the edges of their seats waiting to find out what happens next, and many non-fans of fantasy have also read WoT and loved it.

He can't fail. It would be the death of his carreer.

Quote:

He can't fail. It would be the death of his carreer

Totally true, and it will also be the death of me! I will just die if the book is messed up, I'm personally extremely sad that RJ couldnt complete the series because I think it was his Dream Story, and he should really have gotten the opportunity to finish it.

Given that most of the framework is done and may chapters completed I think we will be happy with it. That said, I think it almost has to be the 1200-1500 page monster. There is so much left unresolved and to rush it's resolution is to NOT stay true to RJ's vision so I hope Mr. Sanderson will keep that in mind and tak it to heart.

I thought this at one time too, but that link trakand posted in the second post of this thread was my attempt to see if it could all be achieved and resolved in less... and i do now think it can be done. Take a look.

Regarding the length, Brandon had a few things to say about that recently...

I don't know how long AMoL is going to be, though.  That's going to present a problem for running a progress bar of how far along I am.  (The current program we have is percentage based, and I won't know what percentage is done if I don't know how long the novel is going to end up being.)

Right now, my goal for the book is 300k minimum.  Looking at the material Mr. Jordan left behind and the story that needs to be told, that's a realistic size to start with.  This wouldn't make the book the shortest in the series, though it wouldn't be the longest either.  It would be right in the middle. 

I'm expecting it to go longer than that, to be honest.  Mr. Jordan himself often said of this book that it would be as long as it had to be, even if Tor had to invent a new binding for it!  From what I've seen of the material, I don't think that's going to be necessary--I think he was responding to worries of the fans that he wouldn't tie the novel up in one volume.  From his outline, writings, and other work on the project it looks to me that he was planning it to be in the 300-400k range. 

So, I'll probably start the progress bar assuming the book will be 300k long, then update it later when I have a better idea of its length.  I will be needing to go and touch up the sections that Mr. Jordan wrote.  (They are in rough draft from.  As I've mentioned, I intend to leave them as pristine as is possible for the novel, with as minor editing as is possible while still maintaining the integrity of the novel.)  Therefore, I'll start the bar at 0%, and once a section of pages is touched up or written by me, I'll update accordingly.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/619/Reader-Mail-AMoL-Progress-Bar

Archived