DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why all of the hatred toward Perrin (Here we go Again)

42Bonzo88

I again have been reading alot of posts about people not liking Perrin Aybarra. Just wondering if it's because he is after his wife? I would hope that if my wife was captured that I would do anything to get her back. A lot of people also don't like Faile. That I understand a little more about. I think she's very opinionated and conceited, but she does have her loyalties and she looks after her own.

If anything, I think Perrin is the most Loyal to Rand than Mat is.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand everyone's hate for Perrin, I mean he has responsibilities not only to Rand, but the whole world, and as for the truce with the Seanchan, that really ticked me off. I mean, they're the enemy, he should have tried conferring with Rand. Perrin had Asha'man, didn't he? He could have tried sending messengers after Rand, to see if Perrin could 'borrow' an army lol, to get Faile back. I guess it doesn't matter now that all three of the tavaren have made Seanchan allies. But if Rand hadn't, Perrin could have  been in very ill favour.

At the same time, I'm not a Perrin hater lol, I understand why he did what he did, but he might have went about it defferently.

As for Perrin being more loyal than Mat, that's a tough one. I'm personally extremely dissapointed in both as to their loyalty to Rand. They grew up with him, and they can't understand what he's going through? I mean, they could both be more loyal than they are.

I guess it doesn't matter now that all three of the tavaren have made Seanchan allies. But if Rand hadn't, Perrin could have  been in very ill favour.

Sorry, I've forgotten, are the Seanchan allies you are talking about, the ones who were supporting whoever Semirhage was masquerading as?

I still like Perrin, though i liked him better when he was saving the Two Rivers vs just saving Faile. Though i cant blame him for going after his wife at all, some of his "I dont care about TG or the Dark One or Rand, i just care about Faile" got a little tiresome.

And i dont think Rand would be too upset with him siding with the Seanchan too much. They basically destroy a major thorn in his side by going after the Shaido. I dont even think all the wise ones being collared would cause too much discontent, he did have wise ones with him that agreed to let that happen.

And both he and Mat are loyal to Rand. They will both be there when he needs them. You cant really blame them too much for wanting to put a little distance between themselves and a guy who could go crazy at any time. Plus Rand sent them both away to take care of stuff, granted he has wished they were with him as of late but they both have important things to accomplish away from him that will benefit him in the long run.

Perrin and Mat are still fantastic characters, Mat is just more fantastic.

I'm on chapter 1, book 9, Faile has literally (at the very end of book 8) just been kidnapped. I have read 9/10 once before but can't remember more than the general gist of the story so it's pretty much fresh to me.

I like Perrin, I always have done. I think he's a completely different person, and has had completely different experiences to Rand and Mat. Rand has responsibilities and he sometimes takes them a bit too seriously, Mat is a joker but does, if you really pay attention to him, take his responsibilities very strongly; he was hunting for Olver (really his biggest responsibility at present) when he was trapped by the building falling in Ebou Dar (the last i saw of him, but i know he comes back, i remember tuon from my last re-read). Perrin, on the other hand, has gone home, built a manor house, fought a few trollocs and fallen into the role of general, with his wife, a general's daughter and queen's cousin, to guide him. he also has Berelain who whilst a trouble causer, is a fantastic ruler. He's got different priorities, more personal ones at present.

On an aside, the last time I saw Rand and Perrin together, Rand threw him across the room with the Power, crashing him into a column. Now all of a sudden he's working on Rand's orders; was the public bust-up a ruse so that people would disconnect Perrin from Rand in what he has to do? So that Perrin could get to Masema and people would think 'he's fallen out with the DR so he must be after something else'?

Guest Dreadlord

Perrin falls short IMO, way shorter than Rand and Mat. Although Perrin was the first one to start developing, when he first meets Elyas (unless you count when Rand gives Bela stamina with the Power, the first time he channels) and he does have some good bits-the Dreams, encounters with Luc/Isam, the Two Rivers, and the bits where he seems to feel animal rage when a wolf dies. But late in the books he doesnt do that much that is significant. Rand and Mat start making big moves (Rand more so obviously) Mat starts gathering the Band of the Red Hand, he has the memories, he has the thing with the Finns, his luck, binding the Nine Moons, and all that, he still has to give up half of the Light of the world to save the world, and he still has to save Moiraine. Mat moves against the Forsaken with Rand. But Perrin trails about after Faile.

It just seems that Rand and Mat seem to have bigger things to do, bigger events to build up to, where as Perrin doesnt do much thats good to read. Its like reading about two superheroes and a normal guy that tags along; the normal guy is in the shadow of the other two

...Rand threw him across the room with the Power, crashing him into a column. Now all of a sudden he's working on Rand's orders; was the public bust-up a ruse so that people would disconnect Perrin from Rand in what he has to do?

The next chapter that has Perrin's POV states that that is indeed the case. When he leaves right after the spat, he's got Wise ones, Berelain, Faile and the Two Rivers folk waiting for him so they can all go carry out Rand's orders.

I remember that but at the time I assumed that Rand had just bungled them all together - I remember Berelain wasnt particularly pleased at being 'dismissed' either and I thought he'd decided they may all as well be sent away together. It was only later, when Perrin was in the camp, i think, that Perrin's POV showed him thinking 'Rand had said to keep it quiet until the last minute' or something to that effect and I though eh? I thought he'd fallen out with Rand?!

Makes sense now, thanks!

I've never liked Perrin, even before he met Faile. I actually think Faile's OK. Firstly, I just found him boring then the wolves come along and I'm thinking his character is gonna get a bit more exciting and I love the whole wolf brother thing. But then he rejected the wolves and it takes him several books until he's comfortable with them. His attitude to the whole thing just annoyed me.

Then he met Faile. To begin with their relationship was kinda sweet and I liked them together, but then his attempts to understand he just got tedious.

Finally there's Faile's capture. Of course, any decent husband would go after her and try to save her, but the way Perrin went about it just wound me up. He was prepared to sacrifice the whole world just to get her back. Which is illogical seeing as if the world was gone then Faile and him would be too lol. Seriously though, I'd be scared if my husband got that obsessed with me.

I don't hate him as much as I sigh at, skip, or grudgingly read through any chapters with his PoV. He annoys me, his wife annoys me, and when they're together its almost unbearable to read for me.

Why? I don't know, I just know it isn't pleasureable to read like most of the other characters.  

Here we go again, and again and again. It really just irks me and fires me up whenever people say that Perrin has not done as much as Mat. What was Mat doing while Perrin was chasing down the Shaido, bringing Masema to heel? What was Mat doing while Perrin was defending their homeland from a trolloc invasion? Don't get me wrong, because I do like Mat, and he is one of my favorite characters. But those whom want to discount what Perrin did on orders from Rand probably are forgetting just how very large an army that the Shaido had brought together which was going throughout the Westlands doing whatever they wanted to do. The Shaido were a very nasty threat to cities and towns in the Westlands, but now thanks to Perrin's character, his leadership, and his taverness (sp?) the Shaido are defeated... Perrin has established himself and his people with the Seanchan, so now the Seanchan shall have yet another reason to finally ally themselves with Rand and with the forces of the Light.

Perrin is a GREAT character, and I really wish that people would stop hating on him for his emotional outbursts saying that he was prepared to sacrifice the whole world to save his wife, Faile. Come on, my fellow WOT fanatics. Lets please be real here, because Perrin has always in the books been someone whom has lived up to and followed through on his responsibilities. It really just amazes me to no end that WOT fans really think that Perrin REALLY would sacrifice the world, or Mat, or Rand, etc, etc, etc, in order to save Faile, his wife. Perrin's honor and sense of responsibility would never allow him to really, and actually follow through in actions that would sacrifice the world to rescue and save Faile.

Here we go again, and again and again. It really just irks me and fires me up whenever people say that Perrin has not done as much as Mat. What was Mat doing while Perrin was chasing down the Shaido, bringing Masema to heel? What was Mat doing while Perrin was defending their homeland from a trolloc invasion?

Mat was making 'alliances' (:-*) with the Seanchan Empress. :-\

Again, thank you to all of the great responses. I have received alot of good and bad information and it feels to me like I'm re-reading all of the books over again with you all as my authors. I really appreciate all of you and hope that I'm not bugging people, I just feel like getting hints as to why people feel strongly about certain characters.

Thanks again!!

im just wondering if everyone has forgotten who perrins wife is, or will actually become? Perrin will bind the Borderlands to Rand, and the wolves. Hes also probably gonna find more wolf brothers (we know of 3, i suspect there have been more you've never seen, the people from Almoth Plain are scared of him and his eyes.) Perrin has also resurrected Manatheren, maybe a few thousand farmers with

bows, but strong and stubborn, and a symbol to all other nations who remember Manatheren's valor and bravery in the Trolloc War.

Aside from this, Perrin has become quite a brilliant general and statesman, and Rand can never have enough of them.between Perrins ways of careful, long term planning and Mats ability to command in the flow of battle, there shouldnt be too many battles they would lose.

I don't find fault with Perrin for chasing after his wife, where the fault is is his damn the world attitude.  Perrin and the wolves annoyed me too, he is taveren I'm sure the pattern would have found a way for him to learn like Elyas did.  He got Sheinarans killed because he was too stupid to accept what he was.  At least Rand had the excuse of not knowing what he was doing.  I could go on but I have other stuff to do.

I don't find fault with Perrin for chasing after his wife, where the fault is is his damn the world attitude.  Perrin and the wolves annoyed me too, he is taveren I'm sure the pattern would have found a way for him to learn like Elyas did.  He got Sheinarans killed because he was too stupid to accept what he was.  At least Rand had the excuse of not knowing what he was doing.  I could go on but I have other stuff to do.

hey, he hadnt come out of the closet yet, so to speak, he was in denial

• 1 year later...

I've never liked Perrin, even before he met Faile. I actually think Faile's OK. Firstly, I just found him boring then the wolves come along and I'm thinking his character is gonna get a bit more exciting and I love the whole wolf brother thing. But then he rejected the wolves and it takes him several books until he's comfortable with them. His attitude to the whole thing just annoyed me.

Then he met Faile. To begin with their relationship was kinda sweet and I liked them together, but then his attempts to understand he just got tedious.

Finally there's Faile's capture. Of course, any decent husband would go after her and try to save her, but the way Perrin went about it just wound me up. He was prepared to sacrifice the whole world just to get her back. Which is illogical seeing as if the world was gone then Faile and him would be too lol. Seriously though, I'd be scared if my husband got that obsessed with me.

i find him boring to boring boring boorringg! he's always in denial, first he denies being able to talk to the wolves then when he returns to the two rivers he denies being a lord even tho he married nobility which makes him a lord and he does not seem to bright either and hes always obsessed with being a "simple blacksmith" and always goes on about how he hates that axe and like you said about his wife i just cant stand him i skip the chapters about him every time i reread the series unless there is someone else in them and even those i skip a lot in. (Ive read the series at least 7 times now and i reading it for the 8th time now lol)

I think Perrin has a hell of a lot of wasted potential. I think if he had less depression in his character and more aggression, more of the animal rage we saw earlier, this discussion would be very different. He doesnt really do anything! Normally that wouldnt be so bad, but as one of the three main characters you sort of expect something decent once in a while, especially when the other two main characters do so much. As mentioned already he is constantly in denial of what makes him a good character. The fact that he isnt that clever doesnt bother me as much as some-at least he still figured out there was a connection between Luc and Isam-but I just wish his love story with Faile was a bit less... Terry Goodkind. I do have a bullet proof vest on by the way haha

I think RJ simply didnt have as many ideas for Perrin as he did for Rand or Mat. I think it'd be good if Perrin discovered who Demandred was, but I doubt he'll be doing anything brilliant in AMoL other than being there that second time that Rand needs him.

My POV is, Perrin has lost his whole family, all he really has now is Faile, if he loses her he is done.

he has low self esteem because he "thinks slow", and why would you let the person who builds you up the most die.

she, is from saldea, where women are just as tough as men, and he has to learn to deal with that.

i do find what he does irritating, because i would straigth up backhand my fiance is she did what faile did, but then again Faile would like that.

lol

and everything perrin does, just as mat does is because of Ta'varen. all this has to happen. though its like nails on a chalk board at times.

My POV is, Perrin has lost his whole family, all he really has now is Faile, if he loses her he is done.

he has low self esteem because he "thinks slow", and why would you let the person who builds you up the most die.

Perrin is not "mentally slow" or thinks slow" he instead actually thinks before speaking. A trait that might actually benefit the other main characters, especially Nyneave, Egwene and Mat. Perrin is a person that likes to think of all the possible conseqences before deciding on a course of action for a person as large as him who could literally kill most of the other characters with his bare hands without much effort such a mindset is a rather good trait.

Perrin is not "mentally slow" or thinks slow" he instead actually thinks before speaking. A trait that might actually benefit the other main characters, especially Nyneave, Egwene and Mat. Perrin is a person that likes to think of all the possible conseqences before deciding on a course of action for a person as large as him who could literally kill most of the other characters with his bare hands without much effort such a mindset is a rather good trait.

So, we have established that Perrin can be gentle, and considerate, and mature. I find Perrin to be the least reliable of the three-he knows he is Ta'veren, meaning he is necessary for the worlds survival, and yet he still has the mindset of "everything can die as long as he has Faile." How irresponsible. Talk about spitting your dummy out.

We all think things we don't mean.

Rand (Paraphrased): It was the biggest joke ever.  She would die, the world would die, and he couldn't attack a woman.

Rand actually did that, and was unable to act.  Perrin thought something negatie in the heat of the moment.  Major difference.

Mat... Mat's closest is he'll never hurt a woman, but he never put it in such sweeping terms.

The fact that Perrin was willing to sacrafice all those kids in the Two Rivers, that he claimed will have chance to grow up, is really all that needs to be said.  Perrin is worse than any forsaken and any darkfriend.  I hope Falie and Perrin find themselves as the guest of honor at a trolloc banquet.

The fact that Perrin was willing to sacrafice all those kids in the Two Rivers, that he claimed will have chance to grow up, is really all that needs to be said.  Perrin is worse than any forsaken and any darkfriend.  I hope Falie and Perrin find themselves as the guest of honor at a trolloc banquet.

What?

Archived