DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why all of the hatred toward Perrin (Here we go Again)

42Bonzo88

Being a moral person does not equate to always making moral choices, it's about having a moral code and aspiring to it, even when you deviate from it.  It's like playing a lawful character in D&D, you don't have to never do anything that is unlawful, you have to feel bad about it even when you find it necessary and try to do better (sometimes even just preventing such a conflict from occurring in the future).  Perrin is a morally good person who had a series of hard moral choices.  It's like the whole Jack Bauer thing, do you kill one to save 20?  It's not easy, and he tries to walk the right side of the street, but it's hard for him to accept losses to his people and the loss of his wife.

He understood the only thing the Aiel were afraid of was not pain, but shame.  He figured out exactly what he needed to do to scare them, did it, and of course felt terrible.  He realized he had a crossed a long in his pursuit of good objectives, and he vowed not to let it happen.  That is a powerful decision to make, especially as it was before he had his information.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree Bob.  He had to confront his worst nightmares and it bothered him.  He didn't just wander around like a hero in cheap fiction and say I will rescue her from the evil ones.  He sweated, wept, anguished and hoped and plotted his wife free.  I think anyone who thinks his wife is in the hands of people who condone torture, murder and rape would become rather irksome. 

It's not weak to love someone.  It's not weak to worry and be a human being when they're in danger.  The weakness is in doing nothing but despairing, yet that's exactly what he refused to let himself.  This isn't Eragon who says "My best buddy Murtagh is dead, oh well, time to get more magick from the Elves!"  This is a guy fights on.

If you've never had something or someone you care about enough to do just about anything to have back, than I pity you.

Bob T Dwarf, I one hundred percent completely disagree with your statement concerning Perrin, and the supposed miscalculation by the author. Clearly, you have probably never been in a situation where your wife was being held prisoner in a situation similar to Faile, and therefore you have probably never had to deal with the issues and problems that Perrin had to deal with while at the same time coming up with the plans necessary to defeat thousands upon thousands of enemies.

Disagree Bob.  He had to confront his worst nightmares and it bothered him.  He didn't just wander around like a hero in cheap fiction and say I will rescue her from the evil ones.  He sweated, wept, anguished and hoped and plotted his wife free.  I think anyone who thinks his wife is in the hands of people who condone torture, murder and rape would become rather irksome. 

It's not weak to love someone.  It's not weak to worry and be a human being when they're in danger.  The weakness is in doing nothing but despairing, yet that's exactly what he refused to let himself.  This isn't Eragon who says "My best buddy Murtagh is dead, oh well, time to get more magick from the Elves!"  This is a guy fights on.

QFT :)

Archived