spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

I remember way back in the day when WOT only consisted of six books, most fans seemed to love Perrin.  Since then, however, many fans seem to have fallen away from him some even to the point of despising him.  So do you think that Perrin will really shine in AMoL and regain the fans' respect, or will he continue more or less as he has in the last 5 books?

What do you predict? 

I voted yes, but I have never not liked Perrin. It's Faile that I don't like.

Yes, I personally despise Faile. She was so incredibly arrogant when they were trying to escape from the Shaido. Also she has really destroyed Perrin. My problem with Perrin is his connection witth Faile.

When Perrin, Elyas and perhaps a few more wolf-brothers we havent seen crest the hill followed by an endless sea of Wolves we will love him again.

I actually never stopped liking Perrin, i just dont really like the "going to save Faile" story that much. Lets get him back to the saving the Two Rivers kicking butt Perrin.

I cannot see me ever liking Perrin again, while I realy like the Dark more than the light, I still like most of the characters in the book.  Perrin was ready to let his side loose, to totaly forsake the whole world for Faile.  I understand love, but to be ready to let The Great lord of the Dark have the world, and all the people in it for Faile?  Perrin is a selfish dog, he can never make up for what he was willing to give up.  There is no excuse at all for the way Perrin acted.  He knows he must be there for Rand, or all is lost.

Simply put, Perrin should be hanged for what he did!!

I have to say no.  As long as Faile remains around, Perrin will be forced to become more and more what she thinks he should be, not what he is or wants to be.

When Perrin, Elyas and perhaps a few more wolf-brothers we havent seen crest the hill followed by an endless sea of Wolves we will love him again.

I actually never stopped liking Perrin, i just dont really like the "going to save Faile" story that much. Lets get him back to the saving the Two Rivers kicking butt Perrin.

Well said! Well said indeed!

I cannot see me ever liking Perrin again, while I realy like the Dark more than the light, I still like most of the characters in the book.  Perrin was ready to let his side loose, to totaly forsake the whole world for Faile.  I understand love, but to be ready to let The Great lord of the Dark have the world, and all the people in it for Faile?  Perrin is a selfish dog, he can never make up for what he was willing to give up.  There is no excuse at all for the way Perrin acted.  He knows he must be there for Rand, or all is lost.

Simply put, Perrin should be hanged for what he did!!

Then do you hate Mat as well?  Mat also needs to be there fore Rand but he has continually attempted to run away from him.  And not for love of another but for no other reason than to save his own selfish neck.  Even Rand initally attempted to run away from his responsibilites to the world.  So all three of the boys have attempted to run away from their responsibilites and Perrin was the only one who had an unselfish reason for doing so; he was the only on who had a half way good excuse.  Despite all this I love all three characters because while each has character flaws they are growing a characters and for the most part transcending those flaws.  That's just good character development.

Also remember that just before Faile was captured by the Shiado Perrin had risked life and limb in attempt to save Rand at Dumi's Wells.  And what was his reward?  Being slammed against the wall the the very man he had risked his life to save.  Non the less, he knew that he still had to be loyal to the bratty little git and so he still agreed to go on that mission to bring the Prophet to Rand (something that was probably a bad idea to begin with).  Take all together I think it was perfectly natural for Perrin to be feeling some resentment toward Rand at this point.  As to Perrin abandoning the world to the DO I think that is a bit too strong an accusation.  Yes, the did say things like burn the bloody world and the bloody Dragon Reborn, but that doesn't he really meant them.  I think that under times of great stress or when were were angry with a friend we all said some pretty harsh things that we didn't really mean (I know I have).  I think Perrin's reaction have been very realistic, if Perrin had just said "Faile is gone but oh well, Rand and the world need me so I guess she'll have to take care of herself." It wouldn't have been very believable.  Moreover, its not like shadow spawn were pouring out of the blight and terrorizing cities.  Perrin felt that there was time to rescue Faile before TG and he had every intention of resuming his mission for Rand once she was rescued. 

LB, great answer but I do have one question for you. You mention that Rand threw Perrin against teh wall after Dumai's Wells but isnt' mentioned right after that that Rand did it so people would think that he and Perrin were no longer working together. I always thought it was for Perrin's protection.

Totally agree on the excellent character development though. RJ was a master at that.

I have to say no.  As long as Faile remains around, Perrin will be forced to become more and more what she thinks he should be, not what he is or wants to be.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You think that Perrin is dancing a merry tune to Faile's every whim? Oh that's rich...

Consider that whenever he finds out that she did or is doing something he doesn't like, he always tries to have her stop. Now he knows how to get her to stop every time: shout at her, or just be very firm/stern with her.

What has Faile done to actually change in Perrin? She made him learn how to be a lord, a leader of his people, and a general. What is it that Perrin has to be for the Last Battle? He has to be a leader, and a general. Faile is doing exactly what Perrin actually needs and no more. I mean what do you think of Min? She is doing the exact same thing with Rand - try to change him, yet I don't think I've ever seen anyone bash her as they have Faile.

There is a great deal of difference between saying "the world can burn"  while under stress of finding out your wife has been kidnapped by people you know are capable of killing her, and actually letting the world burn.

Has Perrin done anything that puts the world at risk?  Nope.

By the end of KoD, he has decimated Masema's forces. 

He has rescued his wife, their servants, and his liegewoman, who I might add was the first sitting ruler to acknowledge Rand as the Drangon Reborn without his foot on her throat.  Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to let Alliandre remain a faceless Gaishan to Sevanna. 

He has virtually wiped out what;s left the Shaido, a grave threat to Rand as long a Sevanna was around, and what's left is heading back to the Waste and welcome to it.

If I'm not mistaken, Perrin has accomplished all the goals he was sent to do, albeit, not necessarily in the manner intended, which is the nature of any battle.

Anyone who judges Perrin's character based on one comment made under suress may be forgetting that Perrin charged into 40,000 Shaido to rescue Rand and did so with the knowledge he was probably not going to live through it. 

LB, great answer but I do have one question for you. You mention that Rand threw Perrin against teh wall after Dumai's Wells but isnt' mentioned right after that that Rand did it so people would think that he and Perrin were no longer working together. I always thought it was for Perrin's protection.

Now that you mention it I do remember something like that, but was it in Perrin's POV or Rand's?  I guess the big question is does Perrin understand that it was for his own protection.  Was the argument that led up to it genuine or staged? I really can't remember.

Now that you mention it I do remember something like that, but was it in Perrin's POV or Rand's?  I guess the big question is does Perrin understand that it was for his own protection.  Was the argument that led up to it genuine or staged? I really can't remember.

It was a bit of both.

It was pre-arranged for Rand and Perrin to have a 'falling out', so that no one would question why Perrin was running off and disappearing. However, Perrin chose to argue about the Aes Sedai (probably thought to get his point across on that matter one more time before leaving) and pushed one of Rand's several buttons. Rand was actually angry with Perrin, and actually was thinking of hurting and even killing Perrin to the point that he had nightmares about it (thats from Rands POV; and from Perrin's POV when he looked into Rand's eyes he actually thought that Rand was going to kill him)

I am not judging Perrin on what he ended up doing, I am judging Perrin on how he reacted, he had no idea how any of that was going to go.  But to say if Faile does not live, he does not care what happens is very bad.  It matters not a bit how it turned out, what matters is he was ready to forsake the world for Faile. 

Mat, is differant apple, of course Mat was trying to run, however the pattern if you will, knew how Mat would react.  If you remeber back, the pattern would never let him leave.  I found that funny, it was well before they all had a grasp on everything.  After the Cariehen battle, Mat settled in for what he knew could not be avoided. 

But, those who like him will always like him.  I will remember Perrin has being very close to a darkfriend for the way he acted. 

I am not judging Perrin on what he ended up doing, I am judging Perrin on how he reacted, he had no idea how any of that was going to go.  But to say if Faile does not live, he does not care what happens is very bad.  It matters not a bit how it turned out, what matters is he was ready to forsake the world for Faile. 

There's a big difference between allowing one's emotions to loosen his tongue and say something like that, and actually doing it. That's what really matters. What he did was show he is human; he reacted with anger and passion when he found out that the love of his life was taken and maybe even killed. After a while he calmed down, thought things through, and did what he had to do and not once, as far as I recall, did he say such a thing once he was calm.

Mat, is differant apple, of course Mat was trying to run, however the pattern if you will, knew how Mat would react.  If you remeber back, the pattern would never let him leave.  I found that funny, it was well before they all had a grasp on everything.  After the Cariehen battle, Mat settled in for what he knew could not be avoided. 

The Pattern knew how he would react, but Mat didn't. You just accused of Perrin not knowing what would happen with how he reacted in a moment of overwhelming emotion, but you're willing to let Mat off the hook for doing and thinking such things continuously and with a clear mind? If the pattern knew how Mat would react, how could it not know how Perrin was going to react? You can't have it both ways.

But, those who like him will always like him.  I will remember Perrin has being very close to a darkfriend for the way he acted.   

Wow... just, wow... thats all I can say to this man, because there is a massive difference between Perrin and a darkfriend. I mean if you can't see that... I don't even know how to put into words what I'm thinking... just, wow....

I don't see the differnece.  What you are saying is that Perrin was willing to forsake the world for a woman.  Everything turned out ok but Perrin is scum for ever having had such a thought.  Mat was willing to forsake the world to save himself.  But everthing turned out ok so it doesn't matter that Mat ever had such a thought.  Both were willing to forsake Rand so why does the fact that everthing turned out ok escuse Mat but not Perrin.  I just don't see it.

As to Perrin saying that if Faile died then the didn't care what happened, well I would have to say that alot of people feel that way just after losing a loved one.  However, eventually they pick themselves up and get on with their life.  If Faile had died I'm sure Perrin would have done the same.  Its just good characterization.  If Perrin had just been willing to let his wife go for the sake of duty it would have seemed very unnatural.  Similarly, I don't hate Mat because I also think that his reaction to his situation was very realistic, most people probably would try to run if they found themselves in his situation. 

Lord i hope Perrin gets his balls back. I think his wife took them when they got marry

Faile: I am going to spy for you

Perrin: No you aren't

Faile: Yes husband *hides her spy network from her husband*

Faile: We should murder Colavere

Perrin: No you won't

Faile: Yes husband

Perrin: I'm going into town to get the 'Prophet'

Faile: I'm going too

Perrin: No you're not

Faile: Yes husband.

Yeah... you know because Perrin is sooo whipped right? ;D

Perrin  lost  his whole family  and people hold it against him that  he  becomes consumed with getting the last member of his family who is alive back ( his wife).  For him to  have not  become  enraged and obsessed with  freeing her would make him a  sociopath.

Back when Mat was trying to run, they realy had no idea what was going on.  Mat wanted to be away from Rand before he went Crazy.  What I am saying, is they all know the price of failure now, Rand was the first to relize he could not run, Perrin was the second, and finlay Mat.

Now, Perrin knows full well what would happen if the shawdow won,yet he was willing to let them win to save one person,  While I am not saying he is a Friend of the Dark, he is as close as you can get without swearing the the Great Lord.

Perrin is slime ball, there is no exuse for how he reacted, he let his emotion take over when he needed to be a clear thinker.  What is the life of Faile, when compared against all of the people Perrin saved at the two Rivers?

Phaw!! 

This is what I see, I am not going to convince you, nor even try realy. There are several views on Perrin, and most people will agree Perrin is a shadow of what he could have been had Faile not Ruined him.

:)

Archived