DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where the heck is Demandred?

Dunedain Fal

All indications point to Demandred as being a Seachan lord somewhere in Tanachio.  Couple reasons:  1) He always work with Semihirage and Semihirage was last seen as Tuon's truthspeaker before she was captured by Rand, 2)Sammael's allusions to Demandred to Graendal when he was referring to Demandred's proxies in the south. 3)Demandred's ego and strong desire to be in charge of a major power and Seachan is the biggest power out there.

What do you think?

All indications point to Demandred as being a Seachan lord somewhere in Tanachio.  Couple reasons:  1) He always work with Semihirage and Semihirage was last seen as Tuon's truthspeaker before she was captured by Rand, 2)Sammael's allusions to Demandred to Graendal when he was referring to Demandred's proxies in the south. 3)Demandred's ego and strong desire to be in charge of a major power and Seachan is the biggest power out there.

What do you think?

I happened to have just read that chapter today (LoC Chapter 6, Threads Woven of Shadow) and I figured on the Seanchan, too——especially with Graendal's POV saying she is sowing chaos in Arad Doman for Demandred's harvest.  The whole Return itself was probably his idea.

I happened to have just read that chapter today (LoC Chapter 6, Threads Woven of Shadow) and I figured on the Seanchan, too——especially with Graendal's POV saying she is sowing chaos in Arad Doman for Demandred's harvest.  The whole Return itself was probably his idea.

The seeds for the Return were planted by Ishamael during Hawkwing's lifetime.  (See Rand's conversation with Ba'alzamon in TEoTW ch 14.  Ishy told several lies in that conversation, but the stuff about the Seanchan seems to be true).

After the rest of the Forsaken were released, Semirhage basically took charge of the Seanchan Empire and the Return.  Between her position as Anath Dorje, and the fact that Suroth is a Darkfriend, Demandred's presence somewhere in the Seanchan hierarchy would be redundant, at best.  Anything Demandred would have wanted done in Seanchan, he could have done through Semirhage ... since he, Semirhage, and Mesaana have the only long-standing, actually functional Forsaken alliance.

Demandred is most likely not posing as anyone.

I think Demandred is just keeping a eye on things from the outside waiting for a chance to cause Rand some heck in the distant future, Thinking Taim is Demandred because of the physical similarities Taim being tall , hooked nosed, neither smiles much, air of darkness around him,  and an air of physical strength around him is very logical assumption in my oppinion. (all of these in KoD's last chapter)

Also in KoD chapter 3 it says Demandred is hook nosed and rarely smiles and is very handsome and an angry person.

Ive been tossing it back and forth and my personal oppinion is either Demandred locked away Taim and took his spot since the last time Taim and Rand were face to face OR Taim is being influenced by Demandred to do his business just my two cents of what Demandred is up to

So the events to the south would be the founding of the Black Tower, with Demandred using Taim by proxy

Um ... Andor wasn't "south" of Sammael ... or in the "south" of Randland ...

There's a good chance that Sammael was talking about Masema, and there's also a good chance that Demandred is influencing Masema, without posing as anyone in a permanent fashion.

Ive been tossing it back and forth and my personal oppinion is either Demandred locked away Taim and took his spot since the last time Taim and Rand were face to face

Nope.  RJ said we haven't seen him yet, and Taim was seen in the last part of KoD.

Taim is being influenced by Demandred to do his business just my two cents of what Demandred is up to

Originally, I think that is the case.  I think Demandred was responsible for the rescue of Taim and sending him to Rand.  However, I think Taim is playing his own game, now.

Well fact is we have not met who he's posing as so far in the series (if he's posing as anyone). He wouldn't be with the Seanchan because Semihrage is there.

I always had the crazy theory he was in Murandy acting as King Roedran or an advisor of him. Since we've never met King Roedran, he's become more prevlant in things since the Forsaken were reborn, Murandy's building an army, it's close to Andor which could explain his interest in LoC, allows him easy access to keep an eye on Rand (which is his job according to Graedhal in WH), and could therefore possibly allow him to have some hand in Dumai's Wells (thus explaining the end of LoC), and Murandy's right in between Tar Valon and Altara explaining his alliance to Semirhage and Messana.

But then again there's nothing concrete, and everything right now is speculation.

I know very well that Andor is neither in the South of Randland nor south of Sammael's power base in Illian.  I am not an idiot, however when Sammael was thinking this he was in Arad Doman visiting Graendel.  I will grant that Andor is not directly south of Arad Doman, but Taim has Demandred's fingerprints all over him.  From mannerisms to physical appearances, to his views of both so-called Aiel, and so-called Aes Sedai.  No man who did not have some knowledge of the previous age would know to have either opinion of said groups.  Mazrim Taim IS Demandred's proxy.

I will grant that Andor is not directly south of Arad Doman, but Taim has Demandred's fingerprints all over him.

If you look down a little farther in my post, you'll see that I agreed with you that, at the time of Sammael's statement, Taim almost certainly was acting under Demandred's direction.  What I did not agree with is that he would refer to events around Taim as being "in the south".  Truth be told, he probably would not mention Taim at all at the time of the meeting you refer to.  It occurs in LoC ch 6.  Taim hasn't even begun making recruiting trips by that point.  The Black Tower hasn't even been named yet.

On the other hand, other "events in the south" were already well in motion.  The Seanchan invasion was proceeding from Tarabon to Amadicia ... a plot in which Demandred's ally Semirhage was involved ... and Masema had distracted the primary military force in Amadicia (the Whitecloaks) by preaching the Lord Dragon in a very militant way.

Clearing an invasion path by distracting the current leadership with a crisis in the wrong direction ... almost sounds like what happened in the Borderlands ... another likely invasion path for ... -gasp- Demandred?

Sammael, a military tactician, would recognize the tactics being employed.  He had seen Demandred's work before, so if this is a tactic emplyed by Demandred, then Sammael would realize that ... "Events to the south had Demandred's mark all over them".

Especially since Sammael saw the direction the Seanchan were heading ... it would lead them eventually to Illian (which it eventually did).  That accounts for the statement he made to Graendal immediately following his thoughts ... he said:

"Tell him [Demandred] to be careful.  I won't have him or his friends interfering with my plans."  Perhaps he could direct al'Thor's attention there; that would likely put an end to him.

Now, I ask you ... assuming Sammael knew about Taim (who had only joined Rand bare days before), why would he need to "direct al'Thor's attention" to him?  Al'Thor's attention was already ON Taim.

It was not, however, at that time, on either the Seanchan advance or the doings of Masema.  Both "events to the south", one known to involve Demandred's ally, and the other fitting Demandred's likely m.o.

No, I seriously doubt Sammael was thinking about Taim.  Its almost certain he was thinking of the Seanchan advance, and probably Masema's role in preparing the way for it.

The seeds for the Return were planted by Ishamael during Hawkwing's lifetime.  (See Rand's conversation with Ba'alzamon in TEoTW ch 14.  Ishy told several lies in that conversation, but the stuff about the Seanchan seems to be true).

After the rest of the Forsaken were released, Semirhage basically took charge of the Seanchan Empire and the Return.  Between her position as Anath Dorje, and the fact that Suroth is a Darkfriend, Demandred's presence somewhere in the Seanchan hierarchy would be redundant, at best.  Anything Demandred would have wanted done in Seanchan, he could have done through Semirhage ... since he, Semirhage, and Mesaana have the only long-standing, actually functional Forsaken alliance.

Seanchan is a big Empire and Semihrage as the Truthspeaker may not be necessarily enough to do the job so she needs a tandem partner to work with and it is given that Demandred works very well along with Semihrage and they are the only two Forsaken that could work well together in conjunction without any backbiting or such. 

After the seeds of chaos that Semihrage had sowed in Seanchan, Demandred is in the perfect position to mop up the splintered forces and establish a power base from where he can largely influence the Seanchan movements.

Yes, ordinarily I would agree with you but she is truthspeaker to the DoTNM.  Also, no chaos is on this side of the Aryth ocean and I don't think it matters what in Seanchan proper for the rest of the main series.  Suroth is a darkfriend and she was a very high lady and I'm sure there are lots of other darkfriends in the ranks.  No, if Demandred is anywhere he is in Murandy or the borderlands.  I think it was Luckers, in another thread said Mesaana had her shot, Semirahgue had hers and now Demandred has his, presumably the borderlander army, among other stuff.  I am positive Demandred isn't anywhere in the Seanchan ranks

Seanchan is a big Empire and Semihrage as the Truthspeaker may not be necessarily enough to do the job so she needs a tandem partner to work with

She had a subordinate (Suroth) who was the total ruler of the entire Corenne.  Demandred's presence was not and is not required.  And Semirhage sowed the chaos in Seanchan herself by killing the entire Imperial Family.  She needed no help from Demandred.  She simply exploited the weakness of any totalitarian hierarchical system; she cut off the head.

The Whitecloaks.

Niall uses proxies. Demandred uses proxies.

Niall's Whitecloaks were disrupting the south.

Sammael seized control of Carridin, probably assuming it was a coup over Demandred- he mistook, with classic Forsaken arrogance, Niall's plot for Demandred's.

Demandred probably is messing with the Whitecloaks, though- via Asunawa.

Niall uses proxies. Demandred uses proxies.

Niall is Demandred!

DEMANDRED IS DEAD!!!!!

This is possibly the shortest possible solution for Dance of Dragons Memory of Light.

Demandred dead --> light has essentially won

& lots of open questions

I'll agree that Demandred isn't needed.  Maybe Semirhage is his proxy, then.  Still, where could he be...?

Archived