DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dune Remake

Emperor

Frank Herbert's "Dune" novels remain amongst the most impossible literature properties to translate onto the screen, but that won't stop people from trying.

C.H.U.D. reports that Byron Merritt, the adminstrator of the official Dune novel forums and a member of the Herbert family, says that after months of ongoing negotiations, things are coming to a head for a new feature film version of the property.

Back in May he said they were "still in negotiations with the studio reps/lawyers. The contract lengths are enough to make one ill...We're getting VERY close to a deal. Heard that news today...we've had on-going negotiations for over two years."

He followed that up with this posting last Friday: "We're getting VERY close to a deal. Heard that news today. I've heard that "someone" at the studio wants Dune reallllly bad and has been a fan of the novel for "years." They're not saying who this is (and it might just be hype) but I'm holding out hope that whoever this might be is a big enough fan that he/she will do the book justice. Supposedly it's some director."

The property has been twice adapted before - 1984's David Lynch-directed big budget feature film which was a famous nightmare behind the scenes and butchered the source material, or 2000's Sci-Fi Channel mini-series which was much more accurate to the books but suffered from generally flat reviews and budgeting issues.

I really liked the Sci Fi Series.  I also really liked the motion picture.  I admit, I saw the movie before reading the books. 

I actually look forward to a remake of this film.  I mean, it may be terrible but it is another person trying to bring the books to life.  I would be interested in how they try to do this.  I mean if it sucks,  I can always go back and watch the other two adaptations.

I just watched the 1984 version (Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck?) a few weeks ago... I have to say, I hated it. Well, not hate, but I thought it was pretty bad. The acting was terrible, the tone of the movie took itself too seriously for all the goofiness of the special effects (though I'm sure that wasn't an issue when it first came out), and mostly I just hate the actor who played Paul Atreides. He's Charlotte's first husband in Sex and the City, and I always want to punch him in the gut when I see him, just so he can open his pouty little east coast snob mouth and say something like "oh my".  :P

I haven't seen the SciFi series, but I may Netflix it since two of you thought it was worthwhile. I'm always interested to see what new adaptations there are, even though I don't expect many of them to be good. I was happily suprised with LotR, but I dont' hold high standards for others.

I've seen both versions and I like the Sci-Fi version since it's much closer to the books.  The 1984 version was also incredible considering when it was made.  I loved it. 

I hope they don't make another one though.  Considering the hack jobs big budget movies have done with nearly every other book I don't think it would come close to doing justice to the series.  What I'd love to see is the people who did the Sci-Fi series continue from where the left off and do the rest of the books.

Ooo more Dune O.O... Nice.

Sorry, passing through. I have loved Dune from the time I was a child and I thought the Sci-Fi version was great. I compleatly agree with Whitestar in that I would be thrilled to hear that Sci-Fi had picked up the rights to the rest of the books. And, I just found this two days ago... :D

dunecat3.jpg

• Community Administrator

/kills whoever thought of making a Dune movie

let the dead horse stay dead!

I'm an *avid* fan of the books. they may well be my *favorite* book series.

the movie was crap, never saw the tv mini-series

spicekitty2.jpg

spicekitty.jpg

The newest one (2002?) mini series on Sci-Fi was great, It also covered more of the story then the orginal miniseries/movie did. "ie, the first one only went as far as that lil girl killing fat man. :P"

the mini series went as far as paul losing his sight, and his son, and ended I think before the 'worm/human hybrid books'. :P in another words, it went for the 1st 2 or 3 books. If you don't like the acting, at least visually it kicks ass!

The Sci-Fi series could have been decent, it had the right screenplay, but the acting was like watching a soap opera, not that I've ever seen one.

The movie was 'tighter' in regards to acting but it bore little resemblance to the actual story line.

Its a personal pet peeve of mine how each movie portrays the 'wierding way'.

This is another one of those that I will say "WHY????" to.  Granted, I didn't read the books at all.  But the Sci Fi Miniseries was really good!  Both of them.  They should let thtose be for a while.  I own the Director's Cut of the first one and pull it out anytime I need to do a costuming marathon.  It's in the regular rotation along with several other movies for inspiration.  I've not purchased the Children of Dune one becasue I keep hoping that they'll release a Director's cut of that one too.  Although I've pretty much given up hope now.  The '80s movie, I never got into.  It was really cheesey to me when I first saw it long ago.  And I haven't brought myself to try to watch it again.  I hear the Director's Cut is the only way to watch that one, but the DC is hard to find.

Archived