DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elaynes babies are going to be confused...

Siemba

A random thought that I felt the need to post...might be spoilers for anyone who hasnt finished the series off

Most of the WoT characters stories are considerably interwoven but Elayne and Rands babies are going to be considerably confused. First off, their parents are very distant cousins. Then you have Min, who their daddy is also with. Not to mention Aviendha, who not only is with their dad and mother to their halfbrothers/sisters but is also Aunt Aviendha thanks to her being sister via adoption to Elayne.

Now, if that isnt confusing enough, there is Uncle Galad. Or, more appropriately, doubly-uncle Galad. He is Rands half brother and Elaynes half brother and while its different sides, the fact that their p[arents share a brother is a bit odd.

Now, Rands parents. Thanks to adoption, their dad has 2 fathers and 2 mothers and while 3 out of 4 are dead, thats confusing. But its Elaynes side that makes it worse. You have Grandmother Morgase and Elaynes dead technical father but not only does Morgase go by a different name, she is also remarried. While this in itself is not unusual, you then have a list of Elaynes 'like-a-fathers'-namely Thom and Gareth.

Which is where it gets even worse. Dear old Grandfather Thom *might* end up linked in some way to Moiraine, who will be these babies great Aunt. And Grandfather Gareth is quite likely to end up with Siuan. But Siuan and Moiraine have a history...

All I can say is poor kids :D

Hehe, suits me fine. Bagsy killing off Min and Aviendha and Elayne and Rand. They all annoy ;D And bloody Morgase. And whatshisname-he irritates greatly. Thom and Gareth and Siuan can live though, because Im kind ;D

A random thought that I felt the need to post...might be spoilers for anyone who hasnt finished the series off

Most of the WoT characters stories are considerably interwoven but Elayne and Rands babies are going to be considerably confused. First off, their parents are very distant cousins.

Actually this is quite common, and nearly impossible to avoid in most countries.

Guest cwestervelt

Most of the WoT characters stories are considerably interwoven but Elayne and Rands babies are going to be considerably confused. First off, their parents are very distant cousins.

Actually this is quite common, and nearly impossible to avoid in most countries.

For all intents and purposes, Rand and Elayne aren't related at all.  The link is  so far back that the relationship wouldn't even be recognized if they weren't from noble families.  Rand gets that information from one of Rahvin's former boot lickers during his lessons on Andoran history.

Actually this is quite common, and nearly impossible to avoid in most countries

But they know. I think most people who marry their cousins are unaware of it. Dont ask me why that makes it weirder, it just does :D

Guest cwestervelt

Actually this is quite common, and nearly impossible to avoid in most countries

But they know. I think most people who marry their cousins are unaware of it. Dont ask me why that makes it weirder, it just does :D

There isn't anyone in their culture that would consider it strange.  I think you're letting your concept of cousins get mixed up with how the Andoran nobility sees cousins.

Using the Andoran nobility view of cousins, Elayne would consider it normal to marry someone referred to as a cousin so she wouldn't think it weird at all.  Using your view of cousins, and the one shared by Rand being someone "raised on a farm" or however he puts it, he and Elayne aren't even related at all.  The connection between House Trakand and House Mantear is so far back.  As far as Rand is concerned, it would be normal for people who are a lot closer relatives than him and Elayne, say only 3 or 4 generations removed, to marry each other.

One more thing.  I don't think Elayne even knows the connection between Rand and Tigraine.  Most, not knowing what happened to Tigraine and never dreaming she would go to the Waste, simply think it an uncanny resemblence.

There isn't anyone in their culture that would consider it strange.  I think you're letting your concept of cousins get mixed up with how the Andoran nobility sees cousins

And the 'like-fathers/sisters/several wives' thing? Even in Randland, the most multiculturally experienced character would find that odd ;D

Guest cwestervelt

I'm not talking the several wives thing.  That would be considered odd to anyone but the Aiel.  And various groups throughout our own history I suppose.  Polygamy wasn't always frowned on.

I'm just talking about the lack of relationship between Rand and Elayne.  That the family tree would look like a bowl of spaghetti and any confusion caused among the kids is another matter.  Then again, nobility in our world have been known to marry there sister to brother and even daughter to father, so they might think it down right straight forward.  It all comes down to what you see as a societal norm.

It will end up something like this.

the kids are say 6 years old.

(Family Dinner)

Kid#1: Momma Min Can You Pass The Peas?

Kid#2: Momma Aviendha may I have more milk?

Kid#1: Thank You Momma Min, Momma Elayne can we have honey cakes after dinner?

Well....All and all I think these kids are going to be messed up enought with out the rest of the mixed up relitives.

Darth_Andrea

Most of the WoT characters stories are considerably interwoven but Elayne and Rands babies are going to be considerably confused. First off, their parents are very distant cousins. Then you have Min, who their daddy is also with. Not to mention Aviendha, who not only is with their dad and mother to their halfbrothers/sisters but is also Aunt Aviendha thanks to her being sister via adoption to Elayne.

Now, if that isnt confusing enough, there is Uncle Galad. Or, more appropriately, doubly-uncle Galad. He is Rands half brother and Elaynes half brother and while its different sides, the fact that their parents share a brother is a bit odd.

Now, Rands parents. Thanks to adoption, their dad has 2 fathers and 2 mothers and while 3 out of 4 are dead, thats confusing. But its Elaynes side that makes it worse. You have Grandmother Morgase and Elaynes dead technical father but not only does Morgase go by a different name, she is also remarried. While this in itself is not unusual, you then have a list of Elaynes 'like-a-fathers'-namely Thom and Gareth.

Which is where it gets even worse. Dear old Grandfather Thom *might* end up linked in some way to Moiraine, who will be these babies great Aunt. And Grandfather Gareth is quite likely to end up with Siuan. But Siuan and Moiraine have a history...

All I can say is poor kids :D

Actually, doubly-uncle Galad is only a half-sibling, making him, strictly speaking, a half-uncle - so he would be doubly-half-uncle Galad. On the distant cousins thing, Wikipedia lists Prince Philip (Queen Elizabeth II's husband) as being several hundred places down the Line of Succession (473 to be exact) making him a distant cousin to his wife, so if this were to be confusing to a child, we should look at the Queen's children for any signs of abnormality....moving on...Anyway, none of this is all that confusing to a child, I have a far mor convuluted family history, which I won't go into here.

According to the bible and many facets of science we anyway all descend from incest. If I remember right the furthest away two humans on earth can be related is cousins of 14th or 15th degree I believe.

But legally I think in all nations you can marry all cousins save those of 1st degree (the children of your uncle/aunt). But even then if they are the children of a half uncle or the children of the uncle before he married your aunt, you can marry your first degree cousins since there is no blood relation.

Same with siblings. You can legally marry your brother/sister, as long as it was the child of the stepmother before her marriage to your father and your father´s new wife is not your biological mother.

But the again i believe there is a famous quote, "Incest brings either the best or worst out of humanity." Great individuals such as Albert Einstein (who´s family was famous for all it´s incestrous pairings,...and later in life he himself married his cousin in what is considered an incestrous relation), Beethoven, on and on. The amount of famous, intelligent individuals who shaped humanity through their uniqueness and skill who came from incestrous pairings are quite high, abnormally high, way higher then what is considered a normal amount. Also many children from incestrous relationships tend to be lefthanded, for some unexplicable reason.

But then again also an abnormally high amount of children from incestrous couples become mentally retarded or deficient. So in the end it is a gamble. The chances for the child to be extremely intelligent rise significantly compared to a nonincestrous pairing, but then again so do the chances that the child will be mentally retarded, with the chances of a mediocre child way below the amounts from normal pairings. 

Guest cwestervelt

I seem to recall Min always taking the attitude that she could take what she could get.  Elayne tended to be the possesive one.

Rand will die or go into hiding so I don't think he's going to be in the picture for Elayne or Aviendha. If he lives he'll wander the world alone or if he's lucky, with Min.

Elayne and Aviendha, as first sisters, will have to find someone else to marry.  I humbly nominate myself. :-*

Guest cwestervelt

You have my sympathy on the off chance that she would.  No man should be cursed with the likes of Elayne.

Archived