DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Actor Versus Tournament Round 1

Emperor

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bacon. I have loads of respect for Hoffman, but he portrays almost all roles in a similar way. watch The Graduate and Rainman back to back, his bodylanguage, his facial expressions, his voice are extremely similar in both movies, despite the obvious differences between the characters.

got to go with hoffy. he was awsome in hook and i liked him in little big man

i dont remember if we have done any of these, keano reeves, wesly snipes, gary cooper, tom hanks, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Kirk Douglas, James Mason.  i know some of these are older actors from older movies but some of them were a lot better then the ones of today. they dident have spetial efects to fall back on so they had to actuwaly act.

snipes was in a rather bad movie about a cop who is infiltrating a gang of parachoot crooks, dont remember the name, he was pretty good in murder at 1600, and i think he was the bad guy in the movie with sly stalone in "futeristic la", the one where stalone get cryo freazed at the beginning, i dont remember its name either.  he was also in money train, white men cant jump, and demolition man. so hes been in a few movies

• Community Administrator

I disagree with the kenavu reeves and hoffman being 'bad actors' Has no one once thought, perhaps its the directors/casting who are highering them to act that way, rather then them only acting that way in every movie they are in?

I mean, look at kenavu, it didn't help him going from bill and ted to point break. But look at devils advocate, he didn't suck at acting in that movie at all. :P

I disagree. I thought he was mediocre in that movie as well, but the rest of the movie was good enough that it didn't matter as much what Keanu was doing. Pacino more than made up for Keanu. Certainly Keanu was better in that role than some of his other roles, but I wouldn't call him "good".

I disagree. I thought he was mediocre in that movie as well, but the rest of the movie was good enough that it didn't matter as much what Keanu was doing. Pacino more than made up for Keanu. Certainly Keanu was better in that role than some of his other roles, but I wouldn't call him "good".

Better then this 'generation' of actors. :P

Who do you consider to be "this generation"? Not asking to be argumentative, just curious who you are grouping together. ^_^

Any 'actors' under 25.

Look at it this way, in 10 years, you'll start seeing actors you grew up with, dieing off. In 20, that number will be even less. in another 30 they shoudl all be dead by then, or long since retired. "de-nero, jackson, your favorite action heros of the 80's...." Hell chuck norris is in his 60's! Same with your ever so favorite Greesey actor. :P

What we'll be left with is basically a generation of actors who's film career can basially be caractorized by the movies like american pie, and the latest 'national lampoons'.

Sure, but in 10 years those same actors will have matured and gotten better (not all, of course, but some or many).  How many of the people listed in this thread did really great movies before they were 25? Keanu was 24 when he did Bill and Ted.

Sure, but in 10 years those same actors will have matured and gotten better (not all, of course, but some or many).  How many of the people listed in this thread did really great movies before they were 25? Keanu was 24 when he did Bill and Ted.

Well, john travolta was in Grease at 24 and he did a pretty good job in that thing.

I was going to list patric swayze in my initial list, but one of the good movies he was in 'red dawn' he was 32'.

De niro's career started in his 20's, but I haven't seen any of his early movies to really judge them, but I'm guessing they were good. :P

Theres a reason why the new generation of actors will never live up to last generations, and the same reason why last generatiosn actors, just don't compare to the actors before them. Each generation seems to produce less quality actors and develop more and more on there looks.

(Btw, silent films, had some of the greatest actors, ever. I've yet to see many of even 'last' generations actors even compare to those guys's dedication! (and they were saying the lines even though the film was silent!!! :P )

*my defintion of last and this genration is basically, last generation is about 40-70, this generation is 16-35.

The 5 year gap, is for the 'meg griphons' of the universe. ^_^

But Bill & Ted was Keanus best performance...

Or, depending on your definition, his only performance, given that he's spent the majority of his subsequent roles asleep.

Well, why do you think he wore sunglasses throughout the Matrix Trilogy? It was to disguise the fact that wasn't even conscious to be aware he was filming a movie. He wasn't just on wires during the fight sequences, but through the whole shoot! They manipulated his heavily sedated carcass with invisible strings!

Alrighty then.  Hoffman squeeks by the last competition and makes it into the next round. 

Addressing a few questions.

Denzel has been used and lost. 

Moving on to the next and last matchup in this first round. Since it is a three way (*snicker*), I am not going to do pictures. Please only vote for one.

John Cusak

vs.

Leonardo DiCaprio

vs.

Peter O'Toole

Archived