DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The History Quiz Thread

Corki

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*mutters he doesn't have his Incredible Incas from the awesome Horrible History series*

It is that place on a hill, and I am too lazy to google it. I should know it, as I want to go there!

*scratches head as he thinks*

South and central america actually :d and i meant americans in the broadest sense possible i.e. from north and south america :D

and that is the correct answer!!

i would love to tour the ancient cities of south and central america...especially the Mayan and Moche cities and temples...absolutly facinating cultures that we really need ot learn more about, consdering we learn about the Egyptians, but the Maya i believe were building pyramids before the Egyptians and had the first form of writing if im not mistaken

ok. this time it will be Name the operation!

this WWII militairy operation was originally planned by Marshall, to happen in France in 1942, as a last resort should the Russians seem to collapse. that proposal was countered by Churchill who came with another proposal for a operation called codename TORCH, that in the end was launced instead of the operation i want the name of.

In 1917 BMW produced its first aircraft engine -- the Type IIIa. A water-cooled six-cylinder inline engine, it features a unique "high-altitude carburetor" developed by Max Friz that allows it to develop full power at altitude.

It was Paul Revere, William Dawes and later were joined by Samuel Prescott. Revere was captured, Dawes lost his horse and had to walk back to Lexington, and Prescott escaped and rode on to Concord to warn the people there. Revere and Dawes only made it to Lexington.

Ok...you have suffered enough...

In 1775, when the British landed in America, who road to warn the colonists of the coming invasion?

Israel Bissell (c1752-?) was a Massachusetts post rider who alerted the colonists of the British attack on April 19, 1775. He rode for four days and six hours covering the 345 miles from Watertown, Massachusetts to Philadelphia along the Old Post Road. He was carrying a message from General Joseph Palmer. The message was copied at each of his stops, and he shouted "To arms, to arms, the war has begun."

"Wednesday morning near 10 of the clock - Watertown. To all the friends of American liberty be it known that this morning before break of day, a brigade, consisting of about 1,000 to 1,200 men landed at Phip's Farm at Cambridge and marched to Lexington, where they found a company of our colony militia in arms, upon whom they fired without any provocation and killed six men and wounded four others. By an express from Boston, we find another brigade are now upon their march from Boston supposed to be about 1,000. The Bearer, Israel Bissell, is charged to alarm the country quite to Connecticut and all persons are desired to furnish him with fresh horses as they may be needed. I have spoken with several persons who have seen the dead and wounded. Pray let the delegates from this colony to Connecticut see this. J. Palmer, one of the Committee of Safety."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, in 1860, realized that America was in need of a patriotic hero, to reunite the states and prevent a civil war, which still occured.

Either way, Longfellow needed a name that sounded like a true American hero. He finally decided that Paul Revere had a heroic name compared to Israel Bissel, and thus Revere was chosen as the man who warned the colonies.

Thanks for letting us know that! I don't really know much about American History! Or History of that era really! I am just stuck much further in the past! lol! But still it was most interesting!

Archived