DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Potential fix for the overpowered Moiraine issue:

Shawlee

• RP - PLAYER
Just now, Shawlee said:

I know, I was just being a little shit, still kinda hurt by the fact that she of all people was one. I think I kinda feel like Egwene when it comes to the white tower. 🤔 

Yes, I know, and she wasn't even a good Dark Sister that was going to rule the world, Sheriam was just a petty lowlife that sold her soul to try and rise higher in the Tower than she had right to. I mean that is pretty low ambitions, and she is so ineffective.

Yet she was our Mistress of Novices, all so painful.

• RP - PLAYER
2 minutes ago, Shawlee said:

Also I appreciate you for doing this. ❤️❤️

I just happened to be listening. I'm painting my flat (and other associated tasks) and I either listen to music or an audiobook. I did start a random book as it had an interesting cover, but it turned out to be some complicated vampire story (hence the young lady in skimpy leather with lots of weapons on the cover) and seemed ok, but the narrator gave all the characters really heavy Transylvanian accents (even though they seemed to be in Russia, which was odd) so I gave up and went back WoT.

But I am very happy that it was a relevant point for the discussion. It makes me feel very useful, lol. 

On 10/31/2023 at 3:47 AM, Shawlee said:

At that distance? Also destroying multiple ships, and she made the Seanchen run? Not Rand Al'Thor ? Or the heroes of the horn? Really? 

My take on that scene was that a combination of everything mae them run, The heros, the ships blowing up, rand all of it. 

On 10/31/2023 at 1:58 PM, Elgee said:

You are quite correct! I should maybe pay more attention to what people post and what I reply ... I'm a BAD Mother 🤪

The Three Oaths

"Under the Light and by my hope of salvation and rebirth, I vow that I will speak no word that is not true."
    "Under the Light and by my hope of salvation and rebirth, I vow that I will make no weapon for one man to kill another."
    "Under the Light and by my hope of salvation and rebirth, I vow that I will never use the One Power as a weapon except against Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme of defending my life or that of my Warder or another sister."

Except we have yet to see the 3rd oath in the tv show. 

10 hours ago, Shawlee said:

I know, I was just being a little shit, still kinda hurt by the fact that she of all people was one. I think I kinda feel like Egwene when it comes to the white tower. 🤔 

I don't know that whole thing was written so badly by BS that you don't get time for any of it to sink in or let you breathe. In part because it was all tied in with Egwene being put to trial and then dealt with in a few lines and Egwene moves on, we never see the emotional reaction from the characters so for me we never feel the emotions ourselves. Plus, it had been telegraphed pretty clearly with what was happening to her in the books. 

• Community Administrator
15 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

So I don't really know what that means. True, this is not a quote of the oaths but a paraphrasing, but unless to Sheriam (who surely isn't using her ability not to tell the truth on such a mundane point) thinks shadowspawn also covers darkfriends it does not make a lot of sense. Is it really an inconsistency, or is it some subtle difference in perception? It seems to vary too much to make sense either way.

That is definitely interesting, as the glossary makes no mention of Darkfriends, and when Moiraine takes the oath in New Spring she only uses the word shadowspawn.

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2023 at 1:33 AM, king of nowhere said:

My main objection to that scene is that moiraine was not in danger from the ship and should not have been able of using the power as a weapon, at all.

Going by what we have seen, the show has the same Oaths as the books. Moiraine acting in sinking the ship is doable, because she knows she is fighting the Shadow.

She knows both Ishamael and Lanfear are in Falme, so she can go all out to do whatever she needs to do, because their presence negates the sense of danger needed at other times. Since the Oath against force states the exceptions very clearly, then the show has it as well. We just have not seen it yet.

We know that show Moiraine knows far more about the Forsaken than book Moiraine did at this point. Book Moiraine would have done the same as in the show.

Edited by wotfan4472

39 minutes ago, wotfan4472 said:

She knows both Ishamael and Lanfear are in Falme, so she can go all out to do whatever she needs to do, because their presence negates the sense of danger needed at other times. Since the Oath against force states the exceptions very clearly, then the show has it as well. We just have not seen it yet.

The exception is shadowspawn.  Neither Lanfear, nor Ishamael, nor the Seanchan are shadowspawn and Moiraine does not know that any shadowspawn are present.  And if they were present, that would not be enough to allow using the power to attack non-shadowspawn, even if those allied directly with shadowspawn.  

The Forsaken by default are leaders of the Shadow. Moiraine and the Aes Sedai are well aware of that fact.

Whether they are back or not is the major thrust of Aes Sedai politics, which Elaida will show, since she represents the majority view of the Aes Sedai that the Forsaken will never get out again. Because the key to that denial, is that they do not have the strength and knowledge to fight them.

To show the counterpoint to that, is that of the Aes Sedai on the side of the Light, only Moiraine, Siuan and Alanna know that one Forsaken for sure is out, and only Moiraine is aware two of them are. The bigger issue, is that no Aes Sedai except the Black Ajah know that ALL OF THEM are now free.

1 hour ago, wotfan4472 said:

The Forsaken by default are leaders of the Shadow. Moiraine and the Aes Sedai are well aware of that fact.

And yet, the forsaken are not shadowspawn.

• RP - PLAYER

This is a point oft debated. I'm not sure why RJ left this ambiguity in. 

Iirc, in tEotW Moiraine first says the oath is only Shadowspawn. But in tGH already, Sheriam mentions Darkfriends in the oaths. So pretty much straight off the bat it is confused. And in NS, we have the actual wording that makes no mention of Darkfriends. Yet what about the Last Battle? The Aes Sedai could only attack actual Shadowspawn and not, for example, Dreadlords, even though that is what the Green Ajah was created to face? 

Darkfriends must be counted as Shadowspawn, yet why have that wording? I guess we will never know. 

• RP - PLAYER

Yes, but there is always the wriggle room that by being so close to him she was in the last defense of her life - or that if Rand died then it would mean the death of the world. 

All the arguments that have been used about the boat in fact. It is just rather opaque.