DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can Nyneave make people able to channel?

Ashaman novice

I am almost finished with book seven right now, and was shocked when Nyneave Healed Logain, Siuan, and Leane. She speaks of being able to feel an absence, or a hole. This made me wonder, could she make people able to channel who could not before? The same hole, would be there, it would just be harder to find because they had never channeled. Am I correct about this or completely wrong?

If you consider that aes sedai of the 3rd age are simply rediscovering what was known in the age of legends then if there was an ability to make anyone channel it would have happened and the forsaken would know it and therefore the dark lord. I imagine he would have wanted more channelers made. 

12 minutes ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

A more interesting question is whether the healing method works on those burned out or just those deliberately severed.  

I might be wrong but didn’t this get answered? Pretty sure RJ might have confirmed it only works with severing. 

I'll forgo the Spoiler and therefore the Spoiler Alert, but there is an incident in one of the later books where a former Aes Sedai who was burnt out, asked Nynaeve to Heal her, but it didn't work. She'd been burnt out, so burning out must've cauterized the base where Nynaeve found the hole.

5 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I'll forgo the Spoiler and therefore the Spoiler Alert, but there is an incident in one of the later books where a former Aes Sedai who was burnt out, asked Nynaeve to Heal her, but it didn't work. She'd been burnt out, so burning out must've cauterized the base where Nynaeve found the hole.

Yep thats the moment I was thinking of 🙂 

I do not recall seeing that - Anoura and Setel Annan were the principal burned out characters and I do not recall N attempting to heal either (I think Mistress Annan lost the ability due to an interaction with a ter'angreal so might be severed rather than burned out, I do not think it was defined).  

5 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

I do not recall seeing that - Anoura and Setel Annan were the principal burned out characters and I do not recall N attempting to heal either (I think Mistress Annan lost the ability due to an interaction with a ter'angreal so might be severed rather than burned out, I do not think it was defined).  

There are lots of things I don't recall - that's what makes reading the series fun again!!

Not saying the healing attempt happened or not, just that I don't recall...

On 11/20/2022 at 3:52 AM, Sir_Charrid said:

If you consider that aes sedai of the 3rd age are simply rediscovering what was known in the age of legends then if there was an ability to make anyone channel it would have happened and the forsaken would know it and therefore the dark lord. I imagine he would have wanted more channelers made. 

That's not the case.  There's repeated issues of this age figuring out things the AoL assumed were impossible.  From things as simple as flipping Gateways horizontal to as complicated as Healing Severing or the Warder bond.  Several Forsaken remark on it throughout the series.

12 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

I do not recall seeing that

It's not in the books proper, it's in the Companion, it stated Setalle was relieved that Nynaeve could not heal being burned out because she would prefer to just stay a normal woman with her family at this point, but had a sense of duty that said if she COULD be more and help she had to.

19 hours ago, DojoToad said:

There are lots of things I don't recall - that's what makes reading the series fun again!!

There are very few things which I don't recall - that's what makes pedantry so much fun.  I just don't have the companion and do not bother with things not in the novels.

2 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

There are very few things which I don't recall - that's what makes pedantry so much fun.  I just don't have the companion and do not bother with things not in the novels.

Alas, my mind is not the steel trap.  I will have to content myself with the joy of re-discovery on each read-through.

On 11/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, Sabio said:

RJ said channeling is tied to the soul so one either has the potential to channel or they don't.  So she couldn't take someone like Min and make her able to channel.  The hole is something caused by being stilled/gentled.  If you had never been stilled/gentled there would be no hole there.

You are right about channeling being tied to the soul. The implications would have been too much for RJ to include with everyone doing daily tasks with the Power. However, it would have been cool to see Aes Sedai Min.

20 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

That's not the case.  There's repeated issues of this age figuring out things the AoL assumed were impossible.  From things as simple as flipping Gateways horizontal to as complicated as Healing Severing or the Warder bond.  Several Forsaken remark on it throughout the series.

Yes, when I saw the post by Sir Charrid I immediately thought of the Warder bond. Another thing, unrelated to the One Power (I think) is the heat not affecting you thing. I think when Rand offers to teach Min it in Caemlyn, Min declines because she doesn’t want to be an aes Sedai? So then after Nyneave Heals Logain, I started jumping to conclusions.

Another thing is that this means Severing is basically just a weapon to put someone on the sidelines until they can be Healed. The Tower will probably change custom so that they will be executed instead of just stilled as a penalty.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:13 AM, Kalessin said:

Okay, but I just thought of something. Taim teaches the Ashaman to be weapons, so what if an Ashaman did something like ripping open the hole, and an AS Healed it? This is probably very twisted and would not work anyway, but it could make Ashaman not completely out of the loop on Healing.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

It happens after they flee Ebou Dar and arrive in Andor, iirc.

And yes, it happened in relation to a Ter'angreal of unknown quality, so as far as I can recall, it was burning out. It must've taken her beyond her limits - no buffer, so she burned herself out attempting to use it.

• 1 month later...

Ashaman Novice… if there is a hole, it was punctured and covering the hole fixes it, if it is a cut, they bridge the gap. Therefore, when someone is severed, it is fairly simple to repair.

When some one is burnt out, not only does it destroy the whole region, it leaves nothing to repair.

Imagine Nynaeve’s level of repair is like a bandage or stitches, but the burnt out person needs a limb regrown, more damage won’t change the problem, tho if someone could regrown the region, removing scar tissue might be part of the beginning of the process. By that logic, regrowing the region is possible, but it would require knowledge of stem cell activation, HGH, guiding the repair… far more complex than anyone in Nynaeve’s day could handle. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:24 AM, Jsbrads2 said:

Ashaman Novice… if there is a hole, it was punctured and covering the hole fixes it, if it is a cut, they bridge the gap. Therefore, when someone is severed, it is fairly simple to repair.

When some one is burnt out, not only does it destroy the whole region, it leaves nothing to repair.

Imagine Nynaeve’s level of repair is like a bandage or stitches, but the burnt out person needs a limb regrown, more damage won’t change the problem, tho if someone could regrown the region, removing scar tissue might be part of the beginning of the process. By that logic, regrowing the region is possible, but it would require knowledge of stem cell activation, HGH, guiding the repair… far more complex than anyone in Nynaeve’s day could handle. 

Thanks for the explanation. I have never seen it explained this way before, and I like this one best out of those I have seen.

The Settel Annan one is

Spoiler

not with Nynaeve. It is with Mat when he asks her to try and use the A'dam and she cannot use it for control or even sense the source or slightly later when she is examining Mats medallion

I was always of the belief that Annan was the Aes Sedai that was burnt out studying the Ter'angreal and specifically the dream ones. She was listed in the files provided to the 3 hunters after the theft of the Ter'angreal