DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Healing Tears of Nynave al'Meara

Does anyone else think the Healing Tears of Nynaeve were inspired by Egwenes BreakBone Fever?

on my re-read I found this in the text which I found interesting:

tEotW: Page 322:
"....to look after her sometimes when she was a toddler, when her mother was busy - and I started crying because I was going to have to watch her die. When Mistress Barran came back an hour later the fever had broken. She was surprised but made more over me than Egwene"

We know this is likely the first time Nynaeve channelled as a child. 

Do you think this small snippet from the book is what inspired Nynaeve Healing Tears on the show?

I think the OP was referring to when Egwene healed Nynaeve untrained with the One Power after she almost was burned out in Episode 8.

As to the original question, I believe that that scene in Episode 8 was originally written to be done with non-magical healing (CPR) that had been shown to Egwene in Episode 1, but CPR is requires an intimacy coach and certain support people that weren't available with COVID so they had to choose a CGI option instead.  They cut the teaching healing scene from Episode 1 and went with Egwene doing accidental channeling to heal Nynaeve's injuries instead.

However, that said, the Breakbone Fever scene was definitely on their mind in the re-writing of it, and Nynaeve refers to it in Episode 5. They definitely were aware that a wilder or inexperienced channeler can spontaneously heal and intended Egwene to be doing so. Having Egwene spontaneously heal Nynaeve like Nynaeve healed Egwene long before certainly gives the same 'circle of teaching' effect they wanted to develop for Egwene and Nynaeve with mundane healing. 

I think it would have been much better with mundane healing; that, like the way Rand and 'The Dark One' interacted in Episode 8 would both be great callbacks in the final episodes of the last season...foreshadowings of things to come.  We'll have to see where they go from here.

@WhiteVeils Is correct - I'm referencing Egwene Healing Nynaeve in the final Episode. 

Honestly I really disliked that scene in the show - Nynaeve didnt just look injured she looked dead, we had just seen the other Channelers die Burning out due to over drawing Saidar. They had blackened eyes and blackened skulls. This is way above Egwenes pay grade and makes it look like she resurrected Nynaeve. 

Also having Nynaeve able to heal multiple fatal wounds on multiple people all at once seems a little ridiculous. Even peak Nynaeve in the books without the aid of any angreal os sa'angreal would be hard pressed to match this feat - for a start I think Healing requires a physical connection?

I reaaaaaallly disliked this part of the show, they are making these characters way too overpowered and way too early. Especially Nynaeve - its clear from the books she is a slow burn and I think they may even ignore her Block (I hope not).

• Community Administrator
14 minutes ago, SilentRoamer said:

Honestly I really disliked that scene in the show - Nynaeve didnt just look injured she looked dead, we had just seen the other Channelers die Burning out due to over drawing Saidar. They had blackened eyes and blackened skulls. This is way above Egwenes pay grade and makes it look like she resurrected Nynaeve. 

Her eyes weren't "burnted out" like the others. She was "cracked" and "burnt", but she wasn't a "husk" like the others. She wasn't "dead dead", she was at the edge of death.

The implication from that experience is that Nynaeve is so strong in the one power, that not only did she somehow take over part of Egwene's share of the circle, she outlasted what's her face controlling the circle.

17 minutes ago, SilentRoamer said:

for a start I think Healing requires a physical connection?

Sorta.

There was a quote from the books that made the rounds when that episode first aired, where Nynaeve healed someone, and someone nearby saw that their scratches heal up, even though she wasn't touching them. Clearly a scratch =/=  near-fatal wound.

Then you have the case of Rand healing Bela's "stamina", when they were being chased. He didn't touch Bela like Moiraine did. He did it at a distance.

Yes, I know "stamina" isn't healing cuts and scrapes, but it's still something physical within another living creature, where you're healing something.

The thing with the OP in the books... the people who think they know all the rules of how the OP works, don't actually know all the rules... or even if it actually has "rules", they could just be guidelines.

19 minutes ago, SilentRoamer said:

I reaaaaaallly disliked this part of the show, they are making these characters way too overpowered and way too early. Especially Nynaeve - its clear from the books she is a slow burn and I think they may even ignore her Block (I hope not).

It's possible they could use this event in the show, to give her a "block" that more closely resembles PTSD from over-channeling where she becomes unable to channel from anxiety of what almost happened... unless she's super pissed about someone trying to hurt her friends.

18 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Her eyes weren't "burnted out" like the others. She was "cracked" and "burnt", but she wasn't a "husk" like the others. She wasn't "dead dead", she was at the edge of death.

The implication from that experience is that Nynaeve is so strong in the one power, that not only did she somehow take over part of Egwene's share of the circle, she outlasted what's her face controlling the circle.

I agree that was the intention - I just found it quite poorly executed and that a scene like this leaves question in the eyes of the viewer is not great - because the question is not poignant. Its like cheating. Contrast that with Thom staring down the Fade - does he live or die in that scenario is a valid question for the viewer, one where it doesnt feel the rug is being pulled. I mean they did it with Loial which was honestly just awful, like a TV show equivalent of clickbait!

22 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

There was a quote from the books that made the rounds when that episode first aired, where Nynaeve healed someone, and someone nearby saw that their scratches heal up, even though she wasn't touching them. Clearly a scratch =/=  near-fatal wound.

Then you have the case of Rand healing Bela's "stamina", when they were being chased. He didn't touch Bela like Moiraine did. He did it at a distance.

Yes, I know "stamina" isn't healing cuts and scrapes, but it's still something physical within another living creature, where you're healing something.

Yeah this is a good point because interestingly in the same book it shows Moiraine moving between the horses and the travelling companions and laying hands on each one separately as they get the "refresh" weave. We do see little of Men Healing with Saidin IIRC (long time since I read the books) so maybe that is a difference. I'll keep an eye out during my re-read.

25 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

The thing with the OP in the books... the people who think they know all the rules of how the OP works, don't actually know all the rules... or even if it actually has "rules", they could just be guidelines.

Honestly I think Jordan was still probably bringing internal consistency to this massive World and this massive system that he built - so we as readers cant possibly understand everything because most likely Jordan was still trimming around the edges. 

30 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

It's possible they could use this event in the show, to give her a "block" that more closely resembles PTSD from over-channeling where she becomes unable to channel from anxiety of what almost happened... unless she's super pissed about someone trying to hurt her friends.

I hope they don't do that - there is no need to give Nynaeve any form of PTSD of victim complex - the books are quite clear that many Wilders develop natural blocks which are more of a defense mechanism against the Power than anything else (again this is from memory and i could be totally misremembering).

Thanks for your viewpoint though. It's all good food for thought. 

10 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

We do see little of Men Healing with Saidin IIRC (long time since I read the books) so maybe that is a difference. I'll keep an eye out during my re-read.

As far as I recall, the only example we see in person of Healing via Saidin (we hear about it elsewhere, but don't see it) is Damer Flynn Healing Rand from being slashed with the Shadar Logoth dagger.  He hovers his hands over Rand's body, but doesn't touch him.

Perhaps that is an intentional difference.

4 hours ago, Guire said:

During the Egwene healing Nyn scene all i can hear in my head is Billy Crystral voice saying "Miracle Max : Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.."

The difference between 'Princess Bride' and WoT - I went into the former expecting silliness and seeing it, and loved it.  My expectations for WoT were so out of line with what I saw that I could not enjoy it.  So at least partially my fault.

Going to find where "Princess Bride' is streaming...

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, Andra said:

As far as I recall, the only example we see in person of Healing via Saidin (we hear about it elsewhere, but don't see it) is Damer Flynn Healing Rand from being slashed with the Shadar Logoth dagger.  He hovers his hands over Rand's body, but doesn't touch him.

Perhaps that is an intentional difference.

Just a note for the show, we see Logain heal the king without touching him. That is shown before the Nyneave aoe healing. 

10 hours ago, Skipp said:

The biggest example of AoE healing in the book that I recall is in tDR.  After the Wondergirls get captured by bandits, on the way to Tear, Nynaeve heals the dying Elayne and the process is so powerful/intense that Egwene's Headache is cured just by being near.

I believe if you read the scene again, Egwene is actually touching Elayne when that happens.  Having tried to Heal her herself.

8 hours ago, Andra said:

I believe if you read the scene again, Egwene is actually touching Elayne when that happens.  Having tried to Heal her herself.

You are correct.  I had forgotten that Egwene clamps her hands over Elayne's mouth to muffle her reaction from the healing and only upon that contact that Egwene is additionally healed..  It is still very interesting that the healing was passed on to another by contact.