DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A note to Rosamund Pike

WhiskeyJim

I just watched the first 6 episodes of Wheel of Time, and I want to say that you are giving us an incredible performance. Your gravitas, poise, manner and bearing perfectly capture Moiraine for me.

And I wonder if you and the cast realize just how epic your exile scene was with Siuan. I cannot remember watching a more moving interaction on film in years. I wept watching you. Both you and Siuan were just stunningly perfect. The script was ingenious; spare but powerful. And your recitation of Siuan's father's words was an arrow of compassion. Honestly, I don't know how you gave that speech without having to retreat to a more formal stance. I believe that your performance so far and with that scene you have catapulted yourself to the front row of Hollywood actors. 

Thank you for sharing your gift with us. You have obviously spent many hours developing your craft, and you have obviously given your heart to Moiraine. What a performance you are giving. And I am sure your fellow actors are telling you so.

16 hours ago, Mailman said:

Rosamund seems to be doing a good job, but Moiraine as a character has been reduced vastly from what we get in the books which makes it hard for me to praise the performance to the extent you have.

I would disagree. I think the Moiraine we are seeing on screen is quite accurate to the books, with some slight changes. A strong-willed, thoughtful, intelligent woman with a cool demeanor. Rosamund is absolutely nailing that.

4 hours ago, bryce0110 said:

I would disagree. I think the Moiraine we are seeing on screen is quite accurate to the books, with some slight changes. A strong-willed, thoughtful, intelligent woman with a cool demeanor. Rosamund is absolutely nailing that.

Moiraine defining traits from the first book are a unrelenting drive and ruthlessness when it comes to her plans inside a intelligent and crafty woman. Its a almost terminator style character that will stop at nothing.

She was obvious/blunt in the first episode simply announcing at the end that one of the 5 was the DR something that was to be feared and hardly the way to get the EF5 to go with her.

She spent a good part of episodes 2 and 3 injured

Episode 4 she spends at the Aes Sedai camp not even attempting to locate the true Dragon Reborn.

Episode 5 She travels slowly to Tar Valon again not attempting to locate the Dragon, and is largely sidelined by the Stepin story arc.

I can find almost zero comparison between book Moiraine and her TV series counterpart. Moiraine of the books almost has a laser focus on her goals allowing nothing to prevent her from fighting towards the protection and guidance of the Dragon Reborn. TV Moiraine is a pale terrible imitation of this.

Pike is doing fine with what she has been provided but it should have been so much more.

Edited by Mailman

1 hour ago, Dead Warder said:

R. Pike is doing a phenominal job at portraying show Moiraine, no doubt whatsoever --- but show Moiraine is NOT book Moiraine because they are two vastly different characters. The end.

She is certainly more open than her book counterpart but she still hides information she doesn't believe people need to know yet.  Just this past episode we see hide from Egwene that the boys are in the city, presumably to keep everyone in their place and not draw attention to themselves.  Hell she doesn't even tell her that Nynaeve is alive until she can have that dramatic reveal.

But otherwise I disagree with that statement. Moiraine is awesome in both the show and the books and they Rosamund encompasses both to me.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, WhiskeyJim said:

I just watched the first 6 episodes of Wheel of Time, and I want to say that you are giving us an incredible performance. Your gravitas, poise, manner and bearing perfectly capture Moiraine for me.

And I wonder if you and the cast realize just how epic your exile scene was with Siuan. I cannot remember watching a more moving interaction on film in years. I wept watching you. Both you and Siuan were just stunningly perfect. The script was ingenious; spare but powerful. And your recitation of Siuan's father's words was an arrow of compassion. Honestly, I don't know how you gave that speech without having to retreat to a more formal stance. I believe that your performance so far and with that scene you have catapulted yourself to the front row of Hollywood actors. 

Thank you for sharing your gift with us. You have obviously spent many hours developing your craft, and you have obviously given your heart to Moiraine. What a performance you are giving. And I am sure your fellow actors are telling you so.

Sorry these guys came in here and dropped a load of Trolloc dung all over your thread. 

I've been a fan of Rosamund Pike for some years.

But I would like to expand the thanks to the entire cast portraying channelers.  Think about it, what we're seeing on screen is with effects added.  Not only must it be difficult to "act" when nothing's happening, kudos to them for not breaking up in laughter.  Imagine some of the scenes without effects, and you'll see what I mean.

As a side note, why is Pike so involved with the series?  Is she a big fan?

I have to say I'm really loving how involved Rosamund has become with the books. Her interviews constantly have references to the books and how things happened there versus the show etc. She seems to really love Moiraine, the world of WoT and everything that comes with it. 

In this brief interview she does talk about how different Moiraine is in the book versus the show and some possible reasons for that: 

23 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

In this brief interview she does talk about how different Moiraine is in the book versus the show and some possible reasons for that: 

Oh my goodness when she talks about suddenly finding tears streaming down her cheeks, during her reading of the audiobook scene where Agelmar explains Lan's history.... ❤️