DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Commentary by Sarah and other show people

Maximillion

5 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

No. You heavily implied it:

Or are you trying to say this was some sort of "neutral take"?

Rafe's own version of WoT and largely ignoring the books does not imply the show is trash.  That's on your interpretation.

A brilliant story well told about another turning of the wheel could be a great show, not trash.

There are reasons why I don't like the show - which I have stated - but I have not said at any time that everyone thinks it's trash.

I have said - which looks true IMO from the feedback and ratings - that not ENOUGH people think it's great for it to continue long term.

It just hasn't landed as the epic GoT level major hit that Amazon intended - at least not yet.

Edited by Maximillion

I think the pilot for GOT landed on its feet better, but the non-book readers I talked with had to be encouraged to keep watching as they said it was "very slow." Most felt it picked up around episode 5, if I remember right. Then they were floored by the penultimate episode of the season.

Edited by Agitel

I do actually feel sorry for Sarah - she had been left to take the heat today.

Twitter Comment:
The biggest issue with the first 3 episodes out of all this (at lest the issue that really I think has a chance of impacting the success of the show) is the pacing of ep1. It just seems rushed, another 10-15 min in TR would have been useful & we're not held to TV time formats.
Sarah's response:
I don’t know if I’m allowed to say what I want to say but uhh. Yeah.

She's denied today that she is the 'token fan in the room', but it's looking like that is how she was used by Amazon.

24 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I do actually feel sorry for Sarah - she had been left to take the heat today.

She's denied today that she is the 'token fan in the room', but it's looking like that is how she was used by Amazon.

Just a point on the first episode feeling rushed.  I certainly felt that the first episode felt that way.  When I went to recommend the show to my nonbook reading friends and told them that the pacing felt better in episode 2 and 3. 

Surprise to me that 2 of my friends had already watched the first episode and said it didn't feel rushed at all and were looking forward the next episode.

So it might be something that only book readers are noticing.

11 minutes ago, Skipp said:

Just a point on the first episode feeling rushed.  I certainly felt that the first episode felt that way.  When I went to recommend the show to my nonbook reading friends and told them that the pacing felt better in episode 2 and 3. 

Surprise to me that 2 of my friends had already watched the first episode and said it didn't feel rushed at all and were looking forward the next episode.

Yep - possibly.

22 minutes ago, Skipp said:

watched the show with my brother (book fan) and his girlfriend (never read the books), and she, as a newcomer, is the one who appreciated the show better.

it's definitely harder for book fans.

and most people watching now are book fans. i think it can appeal to newcomer better.

4 hours ago, mogi68 said:

I disagree. The concept that the Dragon Reborn was born outside of the Two Rivers didn't even come up in the first 3 episodes - a newcomer wouldn't even necessarily think that being born elsewhere is important.

There was little gained by cutting the fever dream, and we lost accurate characterization of Rand. He still thinks that Tam is his father

I agree that cutting the fever dream scene was probably the most detrimental cut in the first three episodes. Without it Rand does not really have a plot arc for the first book until he finds out he is the Dragon Reborn at the very end. His whole character in the first book revolves about the worry that he isn't who he always thought and the concern that Tam is not his Father.

47 minutes ago, zacz1987 said:

I agree that cutting the fever dream scene was probably the most detrimental cut in the first three episodes. Without it Rand does not really have a plot arc for the first book until he finds out he is the Dragon Reborn at the very end. His whole character in the first book revolves about the worry that he isn't who he always thought and the concern that Tam is not his Father.

I have a feeling we will see the fever dream scene in a flash back later in the season.  They cut the entire trip from the farm to the Village so there is plenty of time for it to have happened.  I would be rather disappointed if we don't see it at all.

4 hours ago, Skipp said:

I have a feeling we will see the fever dream scene in a flash back later in the season.  They cut the entire trip from the farm to the Village so there is plenty of time for it to have happened.  I would be rather disappointed if we don't see it at all.

From bonus material of episode 1.

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2021-11-19_at_8_03.02_PM.thumb.png.5929a62eb1f0560d4504d42dc7b60336.png

• 4 weeks later...

From Rafe;

Got my first Wheel of Time related death threat today!

And it was homophobic to boot. The internet is fun.

I’ve dealt with them before and there’s truly only one way to respond — turn their favorite characters gay. Cause I can. This gentleman reaps what he sows — Perrin and Lan now gay for each other. Next homophobic death threat? Egwene and Daise Congar ?

6 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

From Rafe;

Got my first Wheel of Time related death threat today!

And it was homophobic to boot. The internet is fun.

I’ve dealt with them before and there’s truly only one way to respond — turn their favorite characters gay. Cause I can. This gentleman reaps what he sows — Perrin and Lan now gay for each other. Next homophobic death threat? Egwene and Daise Congar ?

Yeesh, death threats for making a show? I mean, I'm not ignorant to that as the (horrifying) norm for social media these days, sadly, but if I was Rafe I'd distance myself from all social media and just have someone relay me the useful criticism and motivational praise. Because, like, why bother participating in that toxic of an environment? What benefit does Rafe (or anyone) get out of it?

5 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

That tweet is from 2019 and Rafe isn’t very active lately, at least not on Twitter (the worst cesspit).

Yeah it looks like he is not very active period - only 757 tweets in about a 11 year span.  Personally I think it makes sense, since his main focus is going to be actually on his work so I would have no problem if he tweeted only 1 a year. ?

Edited by ArrylT