DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

13 minutes ago, Skipp said:

Not an article or a review but a wonderful comment on how this fan is now viewing the show.

This is very interesting.
I've been wondering if the emphasis on Moraine/Lan this season reflects an underlying uncertainty regarding how the casual, non-book audience might react to a show carried by a group of relatively unknown young actors. Rosamund Pike is a terrific actress, and I suppose she plays the Sean Bean role here. Once the audience is hooked, the series can explore the WOT world through the eyes of the youngsters.

7 hours ago, Chivalry said:

I've been wondering if the emphasis on Moraine/Lan this season reflects an underlying uncertainty regarding how the casual, non-book audience might react to a show carried by a group of relatively unknown young actors. Rosamund Pike is a terrific actress, and I suppose she plays the Sean Bean role here. Once the audience is hooked, the series can explore the WOT world through the eyes of the youngsters.

Maybe she'll go out like the Green Man did in EotW.  Sacrificing herself to pull down a Forsaken.

8 hours ago, Chivalry said:

sanderson explained it well in his talk with dan wells.

the wheel of time can be divided into four sections. books 1-3 are typical fantasy quests story: run away from the trollocs and darkfriend, find the eye of the world, chase the horn of valere, chase rand as he's going to tear.

book 4-6 expand the world into worldbuilding political intrigue. they are among the most favourites among fans.

books 7-10 expand minor characters and sideplots. they are among the least favourites among fans.

books 11-14 start the wrap-up, and they mostly go back to worldbuilding political intrigue.

so, the heart of wot is worldbuilding political intrigue, and that's what fans liked most. rafe is trying to bring that up faster, to lean more heavily on those elements from the beginning. hence the greater emphasis on moiraine, she's the best character to introduce those political plots early on

There's a real dearth of critical analyses that take into account the differences with the books. Most of the reviews that even mention the books are along the lines of "the show is more diverse, inclusive, and does away with the gender essentialism of the books, therefore it is objectively better in every way."

I also noticed that every time there is a controversial change in an episode, ScreenRant comes out with an article saying, "Here's Why That Change Was Incredible and Exactly the Right Choice!!!"

Edited by TheMountain

25 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

There's a real dearth of critical analyses that take into account the differences with the books. Most of the reviews that even mention the books are along the lines of "the show is more diverse, inclusive, and does away with the gender essentialism of the books, therefore it is objectively better in every way."

I also noticed that every time there is a controversial change in an episode, ScreenRant comes out with an article saying, "Here's Why That Change Was Incredible and Exactly the Right Choice!!!"

I think the best place for that is forums like these. The books are popular, I doubt that many journalists have read the entire series (especially vs something like LOTR/Harry Potter). Game of Thrones kind of got itself a pass on this too because the series is unfinished which gave the show more freedom, especially as it went on.

As for the critical analysis, my opinion overall is that the show is following the broad strokes of the books. I'm tired of the "hide the dragon game" they are playing. It's a super easy spoiler to find out and in my opinion it's caused the character development of the Emonds Fielders to be less than it could be because they don't want to give too much away that would make it obvious who it is.

3 hours ago, TheMountain said:

As I said with the Screenrant article saying the show is in a huge hole, Screenrant is just a clickbait tabloid.

Edit: I forgot which thread I was in

Edited by Agitel

‘Wheel of Time’ Remains No. 1 on Parrot’s Digital Originals Charts

Amazon Prime Video’s “The Wheel of Time” remained No. 1 on Parrot Analytics’ digital originals U.S. chart the week ended Dec. 10. Based on a series of fantasy novels, the show had 41.7 times the demand of an average series during the week after a 3.1% drop in demand expressions, the proprietary metric Parrot uses to gauge a show’s popularity. “The Wheel of Time” was No. 6 on the list of overall TV shows.

Digital_original_chart-12.10.21-scaled-e1639397054461.jpg

6 hours ago, TheMountain said:

Yeah that is why it is best to just ignore ScreenRant in general.  Both of it's positive and negative content is just horrendous.

Just found this podcast with back to back interviews with Rosamund and Hammed. I'm only 10 minutes in, but Rosamund says something that literally caused me to spit take after the 5 minute mark, and she also answers where exactly the ter'angreal paintings took them. I'm linking to the tweet by the interviewer so you can listen via your service of choice! Enjoy ?

Edited by themann1086

1 hour ago, themann1086 said:

Just found this podcast with back to back interviews with Rosamund and Hammed. I'm only 10 minutes in, but Rosamund says something that literally caused me to spit take after the 5 minute mark, and she also answers where exactly the ter'angreal paintings took them. I'm linking to the tweet by the interviewer so you can listen via your service of choice! Enjoy ?

Yep. Thanks for the link. Will never look at an oath rod the same now.

2 hours ago, themann1086 said:

Thanks so much for sharing. It's a really good takedown of those Knights Watch videos, which I have tried to watch as I like to expose myself to views I don't agree with - but their videos are just so aggressive, whiny and frankly, I'd rather read some really good level headed criticism via this forum and others than listen to them whine about an agenda being pushed. 

There is a wonderful comment on the video as well. "A great example of excellent writing in this style comes from the very first scene of the show (which I'll admit I didn't like at first) when Moiraine talks about the Arrogance of Men thinking they could cage darkness, only to do THE EXACT SAME THING when given the opportunity." That's something I didn't consider about the whole arc of S1 but I think it's a really fantastic point. 

Those type of videos really feel to me that you can't just like parts of things and dislike others, or even really dislike a lot of the show but acknowledge positive aspects. It has to be all positive or all negative. There is no in between. That's why I like people like Daniel Greene, he's generally an optimistic person but he is still heavily criticising aspects of the show that he really doesn't like. But I know that he has been called a shill for example. Man Carrying Thing's "Your Wheel of Time show takes are actually bad" has lots of criticisms of the show that are completely fair but in the same video he laughs at the idea of "the show is woke" as a big criticism.