DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E5: Blood Calls Blood

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 5 titled "Blood Calls Blood".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 5.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

1 hour ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

and then just kill him (to show the significance of the Warder/Aes Sedai bond??? You've already spelled that out for us - we get it! 

Does anyone wonder if Stepin was murdered by a gray man? Was his death really a suicide? Did Stepin save Lan at the cost of his own life?  Also, Padan Fain is wandering about... 

It's probably nothing, but just wondering... 

Just now, ManetherenTaveren said:

Does anyone wonder if Stepin was murdered by a gray man? Was his death really a suicide? Did Stepin save Lan at the cost of his own life?  Also, Padan Fain is wandering about... 

no.

stepin borrowed the tea from nyaneave and used it on Lan.  He then left so he could kill himself .  1 knife was missing in his knife wheel

Sometimes they do tend to lean a little into the ensemble.   

From what I have seen so far this is going to be an episode that is going to be more appreciated by non book readers (which is going to obviously be a large proportion of the audience) because Stepin is not a minor or insignificant character to them.

No one who read ASoIaF is likely too impacted by the death of Khal Drogo on the show - but those who watched GOT without reading the books ... 

Edited by ArrylT

2 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

i don't think it was anything other then suicide, after all the pre-meditation of getting the sleep tea to use on Lan while chatting amiably with Lan to put him at ease.  Just to sneak out to kill himself.

6 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

I wondered if it had been set up to look like suicide by a faction who didnt want Alanna to get another warder - ie BA - and those are nice theories as well - but I'm pretty confident it will be deemed suicide by grief. 

10 minutes ago, Arthellion said:

But they weren’t the focus of the episode. If this was a serial series where we had 14-18 episodes I’d have had no issue with it. 

It’s not. It’s basically an 8 hour movie and there are so many important bits that need to show up and they wasted it on a character we will barely remember in Season 5.

I love every scene we got with The Emond Fielders…just far too little time spent with our protagonists. It’s bad story telling.

I like the show but this is the weakest episode by far. Still a lot of good elements, but meh.

This will always be my main compliant about the series,  First few episodes key parts went by at warp speed (like leaving Two Rivers, being in Shadar Logoth) Then episodes 4 and 5 are spent mostly on side characters and you the viewer aren't really invested in the main characters (Moiriane spent like 2 1/2 episodes near death and doing nothing).  Nyn has gotten the most face time.

Edited by Sabio

2 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

I wondered if it had been set up to look like suicide by a faction who didnt want Alanna to get another warder - ie BA - and those are nice theories as well - but I'm pretty confident it will be deemed suicide by grief. 

i was just wondering if maybe he was a Darkfriend and had a meeting with one who he might consider responsible for her death and got knifed.  but that's the daes dae'mar talking

This episode compared to episode 3 also showed off their intentions very well in terms of how they're portraying men and women.

Rand is lazily threatened by a short women who's only half paying attention to him and responds by screaming and banging on a door for someone to help and then later runs away in complete terror.

Egwene is threatened by a man who makes it clear that he wants to kill her and has her tied up so she can't do anything and she responds by calmly telling him to do it whilst displaying an impressive lack of fear.

Did they get these two characters mixed up?

On another subject:  Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene!
*deep breath*
Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! Egwene! 
*heaves bosom*

6 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

No one who read ASoIaF is likely too impacted by the death of Khal Drogo on the show - but those who watched GOT without reading the books ... 

Looking at the ebb and flow of series, and I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, I'm sure there were some slow, exposition-full episodes of GoT that were soon forgiven, when the breakneck speed picked up in episode, the next.

2 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

This episode compared to episode 3 also showed off their intentions very well in terms of how they're portraying men and women.

Rand is lazily threatened by a short women who's only half paying attention to him and responds by screaming and banging on a door for someone to help and then later runs away in complete terror.

Egwene is threatened by a man who makes it clear that he wants to kill her and has her tied up so she can't do anything and she responds by calmly telling him to do it whilst displaying an impressive lack of fear.

Did they get these two characters mixed up?

well, Rand hasn't been thrown off a cliff into a river and left to drown.

3 minutes ago, Canukistani said:

well, Rand hasn't been thrown off a cliff into a river and left to drown.

Ah yes, that does explain why in this turning the Two Rivers women are brave unbreakable killers and the Two Rivers men are either useless cowards or wife killers.

If only those Two Rivers men had thought to form their own group like some sort of council.

3 minutes ago, Canukistani said:

maybe?  aren't you sure there was a flashback scene?  cause i don't remember one but i am probably mistaken

Maybe you're not the right person to answer then. There are people on this thread who are fantastic with details, so if they know...

N&Ns: Nitpickers and Naysayers

Edited by Harad the White

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

Maybe you're not the right person to answer then. There are people on this thread who are fantastic with details, so if they know...

N&Ns: Nitpickers and Naysayers

thank you for answering my question.  i'm sorry my request for clarification was offputting for you.