DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E5: Blood Calls Blood

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 5 titled "Blood Calls Blood".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 5.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

Guest Wolfbrother31

Hmmm... So I probably won't be adding much that hasn't already been said but I want to get my initial thoughts out before a rewatch.

I have VERY mixed feelings about this episode. 

Liked/Disliked: 

#1. Liked that we got mention/foreshadowing of Forsaken (though not as happy about the only named Forsaken being Ishy - we had better get Lanfear as well ... She can't be cut can she?) 

#2. Liked that we got Loial (didn't like that he was 2 feet, at least, too small -- it's not that difficult to use camera angles and stuff to make him HUGE). 

#3. Liked that we got Logain laughing in the cage scene (reeeally disliked that they're strongly implying he's laughing at Matt & not Rand ... That ruins one of the most iconic book scenes.) 

#4. Liked that we got some WT politic-ing. Disliked that they're making it seem as if they're gonna combine (I'm guessing of course but based on this episode I think it's a pretty reasonable conclusion) Liandrin with Elaida. 

#5. Simply did not like that they spent a bunch of time on Steppin ... every minute counts on bringing our beloved WoT to screen ... don't give me a sob story about tears shed with cuts that needed to be made if you're going to invent a character & ceremonies & give 10 min or more of screen time to something that isn't WoT ... and then just kill him (to show the significance of the Warder/Aes Sedai bond??? You've already spelled that out for us - we get it! 

#6. Did like the wolves & that they're not doing CGI wolves & Golden eyes. But am hoping for some more communication. 

#7. Don't especially like that the WC are Nazis. We could definitely be getting a more ... I dunno ... relatable telling. Perhaps we still will when it's not just Questioners. 

Sooo ... honestly, my first reaction is that this episode was a let down. Was pretty hyped after the last episode ... And hoping the next two are really good! 

Guest Wolfbrother31
Just now, Harad the White said:

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

?? I mean more that they made them almost all white dudes with Hitler staches. 

I do read the Questioners as basically Inquisition style "truth" seekers. 

I think I hated this episode more than even episode 1 which is saying something.

The near refusal to actually follow the source material, to the point where actual good things like the Rand and Loial scenes are given less focus in favor of stupid and rather boring stuff like waiting for Stepin to off himself is bizarre.

I don't understand why they just didn't make their own original series, they clearly have no interest in telling the Wheel of Time story and just want to make up their own story instead.

Edited by AusLeviathan

55 minutes ago, Agitel said:

So I don't think anyone has said anything yet, but Valda must have a ter'angreal, right? Something similar to Mat's Foxhead medallion? He played off Egwene's fireball as being incredibly weak, but he was not worried at all and has faced more experienced Aes Sedai.

According to the behind the scenes for this episode, they intended it to be bookended by two funerals to emphasize the relationship between Aes Sedai and Warder. And they had Alanna do a special kind of song only a woman's voice can do, and a nameless warder do a special kind of singing only a man's voice can do. Also, they intentionally modelled the Warder funeral on traditions that have a single designated mourners who takes on and expresses everyone's grief. So there was definitely a ritualistic component in Lan being the designated mourner.

Appreciate you mentioning that.   I doubt I am the not the only one who thinks the episode could have "popped" a bit more if they had ended on Perrin Goldeneyes, but I can see why they did it that way to book end - similar to Episode 4 whether they bookended with Logain rise & fall arc.

I'm starting to get a sense that they are going to make the odd numbered endings quieter so that the even ended endings stand out more with the obvious Ep8 hopefully ending on a note that leaves us wanting more and questions to answer (just like EOTW did for me).

1 / 3 / 5

Leaving EF on horseback

Meeting Logain

Warder Funeral

They all set up question as  to what is going to happen next but at the same time don't leave you with the same wow factor of 2/4 (and presumably 6).

2 / 4/ 6

Escape from Shadar Logoth / Surprise reveal of Nynaeve

Epic Battle / Death of an Aes Sedai / Nynaeve Channel Explosion

Spoiler

Predicting 6 ends with the appearance of either the reveal that there are Way Gates or maybe even the arrival of Machin Shin 

Those are "better" wow I cant believe what I just saw moments but at the same time they dont really drive the story forward so much as end with a cliff hanger.  But thats just my opinion.

Basically think they're trying to establish a sort of rhythm sort of like in rowing with quiet/loud or soft / hard or subtle/in your face

Edited by ArrylT
thoughts adjusted slightly

Guest Wolfbrother31
11 minutes ago, Dead Warder said:

This show is like a fisherman's bobber on a choppy lake.

Liked this analogy. 

And also, I would add another thing: 

I like Daniel Henney and think he's doing a good job. Dislike that WoTTv has written Lan as so incompetent...

He's apparently ... "A shit horseman." "Killed them all." Lost the EF5. 

Got tracked by Nyn & held at knife point. Got his throat slit by an ax shard. Got drugged by Steppin. And is tearing his cloths in grief??? 

Ok...eternal optimists...explain to me how any of that jives with the Lan we all know and love!

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest Wolfbrother31
2 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Good theory. GoT after a season, went to BIG episodes 9 (not a choice here, yet). But WoT still has to find it's rhythm.

Hopefully once they abandon this : Who is the Dragon? thing ... They'll get on with telling the WoT story. That's the rhythm I'm hoping for. And pleeease give us more Forsaken than just Ishy & more of Fain & don't cut Elaida. 

5 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I like Daniel Henney and think he's doing a good job.

Ok...eternal optimists...explain to me how any of that jives with the Lan we all know and love!

Suggestion for increased enjoyment. Go with what you like (on top) and don't keep holding it up to the character on paper.

Guest Wolfbrother31
11 hours ago, Harad the White said:

Suggestion for increased enjoyment. Go with what you like (on top) and don't keep holding it up to the character on paper.

Good advice!

Edited by Wolfbrother31
Insensitive comment

And pleeease give us more Forsaken than just Ishy

I counted 8 forsaken statues so I think we get at least that many (does not prove that is the limit, this does not need to be a complete set) - one appeared very short with a scar so Sammeal appears to make the cut.

1 minute ago, Dead Warder said:

The White Tower seemed empty, like a college dorm during spring break.

It is supposed to, the lack of talent arriving and dwindling of numbers a substantial theme in new spring and most sections when they are POV in the tower - and why they are so excited by new recruits with potential greater than current members.

Episode was pretty good, still too much of the main characters being pushed into the background.

Valda so sure she could channel was odd.

Really curious what Siuan will be like since they are pushing hard to make it seem like Siuan will view Moiraine as a threat.

Edited by Sabio

1 minute ago, Agitel said:

I gotta say, if all they've given Valda is a ter'angreal like Mat's I'm a bit disappointed. What about his other men? What if the Aes Sedai decides to hurl something at him? Forkroot/drugs would just make much more sense.

The whole scene made no sense.

He dares her to channel and then leaves her alone. Then he comes back and she starts channeling and even tries to attack him and he still leaves her alone and does nothing.

Much like the female Darkfriend in episode 3 his actions don't appear to fit his intentions and he is deliberately putting himself in danger for no reason when he could deal with the situation in an easier and safer manner that would fit his intentions.

TLDR: Valda is an idiot.

Guest Wolfbrother31
1 minute ago, Still Trench said:

So if Siuan is in Camelyn, has she gone there to pickup Elayne? Maybe as part of some tradition where the Amyrlin goes in person to pick up the Daughter Heir for her training. 

I thought that too! But we're definitely getting Suian next episode & not getting Elayne until S2. But ... Maybe it'll get a mention? 

I'm really looking forward to the next couple episodes. Sanderson said they were his favorites. And then hopefully, it gets better from there. 

36 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Moiraine, and her party, looked like more trouble than he wanted to mess with. A party of Tinkers? Torture away!

I also think with Moiraine being injured he probably was thinking why would an Aes Sedai go about injured and not heal herself.