DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E1: Leavetaking

SinisterDeath

15 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I just had a terrible thought. I don't expect it to actually be this way.

Reveal hidden contents

Imagine if they made it the Eye somehow, and they never realized it be because no man who could channel had ever been.

Or it could just be for wisdom initiation. Or to add character to the culture. 

Pictures 15 & 16 in the concept art attached to this episode show the pool, with Egwene coming out and the paint. 

Looks like it was meant to be part of this episode and was cut??? 

Now enjoying my third run through of Episode 1.  Love finding things I overlooked the first time I watched the episode.  

Have convinced 4-5 people to give WOT a look, and as mentioned my SO who was skeptical before episode 1 is now looking forward to watching the rest of the season after 2 episodes.  

Anyways I still want to go into more depth about what I didn't enjoy but the more I watch the 1st episode the less negative I feel about it so slowly moving from something like 60/40 to like 80/20 on my feelings . 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, TheAngryDruid said:

Color me incredibly underwhelmed. 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. 

I mean, I knew it would be rushed, and there would be changes, but lordy, that was poor. 

Minor gripes: 

1) Perrin is married. And kills his wife. 

2) No Thom. 

3) Nynaeve gets kidnapped. 

4) Moiraine is recognized as Aes Sedai right away.   

5) Moirane knowing there were 4 ta'veren from the start. 

Major gripes: 

1) Losing the drama of Rand taking Tam to Emond's Field. And therefore Tam's rambling about finding a child in the snow. This is what drives Rand for most of the series, who am I? 

2) Rand seeing the Fade is also gone. Trollocs are the main threat here, and it should be the Fade instead. 

3) The Tower turning away Nynaeve's mentor. The Tower wants girls who can channel badly. Siuan is a fisherman's daughter, FFS. This is awful. Attempting to build elitist tropes. 

4) Moiraine's character is awful. Blurting about the Dragon Reborn? Preposterous. Destroying the Inn to throw rocks at Trollocs? Awful. She is Aes Sedai & from Cairhein. Totally out of character. As is a bath with Lan. Ugh. 

5) Having Rand accuse Moiraine of bringing the Trollocs, not the townspeople. Again, this totally misrepresents how rural communities feel about AS. The fear. The distrust. The ignorance.    

6) Losing Moiraine's tale of Emond's Field. 

7) The ease at which they go with Moiraine. So much for stubborn Two Rivers folk. Yeah, I have never talked to you before, but sure, I will leave everything I know to go with you. Sure. 

? 8. Lots of extraneous stuff was added (Perrin's wife, Matt's mom, the Reds, and Egwene at the river, even the battle), at the cost of better stuff.

They should have opened with Rand & Tam. Fade on the road. Arrived to a quiet, not yet boisterous Inn (Marin was bad). Done some world building with the adults at the Inn. Meet Egwene, Nynaeve, Perrin, Mat, and Fain.  Strangers. Gleeman. Moiraine with the coin. Return to al'Thor farm. Winternight. Rand arrives to Emond's Fielsld in ashes. Nynaeve cannot help his dad. Thom/Bran Dragon's Fang talk. Moiraine heals Tam. Then the whole convincing them to go, finding out that the al'Thor & Cauthon places & the forge were all that were attacked. Rand/Tam talk. They sneak out. End episode.  

I had to recreate my account from ages ago as I don't have access to my old email. Anyways I will have to mainly agree with this and state I am deeply disappointed in it so far. The Red Ajah in the beginning? Stilling the guy (I'm assuming that's why there were trying to show) instead of parading them around before stilling them? Egwene in the river? WTF was that? That was something I would have expected Moraine to tell them. For me major gripe #6 was huge. Sigh, no tale about Manetheren (not even a mention of it). Another major gripe I have to add is that they did away with Lan explaining about expecting to see Trollocs at the Borderlands, not in the Two Rivers. Minor gripe #5 is a major gripe for me. That's Loial's job. Major gripe #4 - so what, it's ok for men to channel? I assumed based on the beginning (again the beginning was already bad) that it was still taboo for men to channel. At this point I'd rather re-read the series then watch episode 2. World building at a bar could have been done better (ala LoTR).

5 minutes ago, raifers said:

The Red Ajah in the beginning? Stilling the guy (I'm assuming that's why there were trying to show) instead of parading them around before stilling them? 

Well, that could be a reference to the "Vileness" from the books.  The dates of those activities might have changed but that would be generally consistent with "canon".

New here but have been a fan of the series for many years.

I only found out the other day the series had been released and so far I am really pleased. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I actually like the changes and think the casting is great. I think I’m just excited this show is even a thing; I found myself getting sentimental when Tam was making that speech about the Wheel ? 

I thought the Shadowspawn were well done. The trollocs are terrifying in their rightful way but the shot of the Fade watching the Bel Tine massacre was legit unsettling.

Was the Red leader Elaida? Whoever she is supposed to be she’s got the right blend of zeal and crazy to be a major problem in the future.

Rewatching episode 1 tonight!

Edited by DELTA

On 11/18/2021 at 8:29 PM, themann1086 said:

Things I'd missed or wasn't sure of in my early viewing that I caught this time:

• The dead sheep in the shape of the Dragon's fang. Awesome
  • I didn't notice there were 2 Trollocs in the scene with Perrin and his wife which makes what happens a bit more understandable in terms of why he swung.
  • Fain just swaggering away with a grin on his face. Perfect.

ugh, Perrin ?

Fain’s casting was perfect imo. I didn’t notice the shape of the sheep, I’ll check that out when I rewatch again tonight 

Episode 1 comment that I haven't seen anywhere:

What are the odds that we do in fact know the name of the poor young man who was taken by the Reds at the very beginning?

"A young man, who had revealed the talent, and I was not there to help him; by the time I was, it was too late"

Spoiler

Thom's nephew, Owyn

7 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

What are the odds that we do in fact know the name of the poor young man who was taken by the Reds at the very beginning?

"A young man, who had revealed the talent, and I was not there to help him; by the time I was, it was too late"

Hide contents

Thom's nephew, Owyn

Interesting. We dont know the trim frame of that happening. I have often wondered how Moirraine knew the names of all the Aes Sedai involved to give Thom the list of names. In the show, she was watching it happen. It also appears she gentled/executed him there on the spot instead of taking him back to Tar Valon.

Edited by flinn

4 hours ago, Dreamwalker said:

Did you guys see the overgrown skyscrapers at about 4:15?! I squealed. I hope they put more of this stuff in as the series goes on, I always thought the cyclical time was one of the cooler and more unique things about WoT as a whole.

Same here. I liked the ancient aqueduct that was inserted into the next ep as well. I'm on the lookout for fallen monuments and grand statues as well.

6 minutes ago, flinn said:

Interesting. We dont know the trim frame of that happening. I have often wondered how Moirraine knew the names of all the Aes Sedai involved to give Thom the list of names. In the show, she was watching it happen. It also appears she gentled/executed him there on the spot instead of taking him back to Tar Valon.

In the book, it was about 2 years before the start of the story, IIRC; a minor enough change to make. And doing it on the spot was in fact how it happened in the books. I remember Moiraine saying something like they shouldn't have done that in her letter.

Edited by Jaysen Gore

1 minute ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

Same here. I liked the ancient aqueduct that was inserted into the next ep as well. I'm on the lookout for fallen monuments and grand statues as well.

I wasn't a fan of that - too much Shannara Chronicles with the recent fallen world.  And 3,000 years is a long time. If you have 90 minutes to spare, check out the show here to see just how fast the world would be eliminated. Aqueducts I'm fine with. Stone is stone, afterall. But modern buildings? forget it.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

Hide contents

Thom's nephew, Owyn

Burn Me!  Could it be??  Didn't even consider it.

It's nuggets like this that is why I love these forums.  Props to you brah!

8 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

If you have 90 minutes to spare, check out the show here to see just how fast the world would be eliminated. Aqueducts I'm fine with. Stone is stone, afterall. But modern buildings? forget it.

Although the "video is blocked in my country," that's an interesting issue. Erosion rules. But who can verify the materials used to build those structures during the 2nd age? Maybe the structures were infused with some angreal? How old is Shadar Logoth (Aridhol)?

1 minute ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

Although the "video is blocked in my country," that's an interesting issue. Erosion rules. But who can verify the materials used to build those structures during the 2nd age? Maybe the structures were infused with some angreal? How old is Shadar Logoth (Aridhol)?

It's called a World Without Humans. A TV series.

Aridhol arose as one of the covenant of the 10 nations, 209 AB, but is a special circumstance; without life, erosion can't happen. No bugs, no vines, no creeping ivy, no nesting animals. Just mountains of unliving stone, and wind, and rain.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jaysen Gore said:

It's called a World Without Humans. A TV series.

Aridhol arose as one of the covenant of the 10 nations, 209 AB, but is a special circumstance; without life, erosion can't happen. No bugs, no vines, no creeping ivy, no nesting animals. Just mountains of unliving stone, and wind, and rain.

Delete

Edited by Chwooly

Hi guys, first time here 

I saw the first episode and wanted to see if I'm the only one disturbed by it 

Thoug the visuals are nice, the story is completely wrong to me 

1- WTF is wrong with Mat's actor ? He's supposed to be a teenager, looks like a dad 

2- The relationship between Rand and Egwene was not supposed to be that far am I wrong ? They are fiancées but never was it written they went past kissing or did I miss it ? 

3- Why in hell did Moiraine talk about the Dragon so soon ? She never mentioned it, just said someone was important. 

4- Where is Thom ?

5- Who is Laila ? Why did they put her here ? Perrin was supposed to be an innocent boy who knew nothing about women 

There are other stuffs that went sideways like the heron placed on the blade, and I always pictured Moiraine as a blond, wasn't it written like that ? And Padan Fain was supposed to be like very small right ?

So to my opinion, they "Holllywooded" too much the plot, creating drama where there was not, accelerating the pace too fast too soon, to keep the non-readers onboard, but I don't like it. Tell me please if I'm alone on this case ^^

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Romac said:

1- WTF is wrong with Mat's actor ? He's supposed to be a teenager, looks like a dad 

Book 1 takes place in 998

Mat/Rand/Perrin were all born 978.

At the start of the books, all three boys are 20 years old.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

2- The relationship between Rand and Egwene was not supposed to be that far am I wrong ? They are fiancées but never was it written they went past kissing or did I miss it ? 

They added/enhanced a lot of things. Most of us knew this wasn't going to be a 1:1 adaptation. 

Also

Spoiler

I'm still not entirely convinced they did the dirty. That would be quite daring to do the innkeepers daughter in the common room.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

4- Where is Thom ?

Keep watching.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

5- Who is Laila ? Why did they put her here ? Perrin was supposed to be an innocent boy who knew nothing about women 

See #2. They decided to try to add to Perrin's character by fridging a wife.

So far this adds 3 things.

1. Shows Perrin is stuck in his head, which is something that's typically hard to show onscreen.

2. Sets up his internal battle with choosing the Axe or the Hammer.

3. Helps further the Faile plotline by explaining why he's so apprehensive about liking her... And will explain his absolute obsession with spending 3+ books trying to find her.

There's also a very good possibility, that Laila is a dark friend, as she might have been trying to take a swing at Perrin.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

There are other stuffs that went sideways like the heron placed on the blade

We've had what, 6 months? To get used to this.

TLDR: on TV you can't see the Heron if it's on the hilt.

Same thing with Mat's dagger.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

and I always pictured Moiraine as a blond, wasn't it written like that ?

No.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Moiraine_Damodred#Appearance
When she arrives in Emond's Field she is described as having dark hair, hanging in ringlets. She looks the same age as Nynaeve, but with large, dark eyes that belong to a much older woman. This is the first mention of the ageless look. She is relatively short, standing at 5'2", and has a melodious voice. She wears a sky-blue velvet cloak with vines and flowers along the edges in thick silver embroidery, a golden woven belt and a dark blue dress slashed with cream. She wears her Great Serpent ring on the second finger of her left hand, though she has been known to change the finger. Moiraine also wears the traditional Cairhienien kesiera, hers being a small sparkling blue stone held by a fine golden chain.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

And Padan Fain was supposed to be like very small right ?

I never thought he was short?

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Padan_Fain
Fain is pale and skinny, with gangly arms. He has a large beak of a nose and wide ears.

1 hour ago, Romac said:

So to my opinion, they "Holllywooded" too much the plot, creating drama where there was not, accelerating the pace too fast too soon, to keep the non-readers onboard, but I don't like it.

You're certainly allowed to hold whatever opinion on the show you want, and express it as long as it's kept civil. ?

Tell me please if I'm alone on this case ^^

If you read any comments here, there are plenty of people who hate/dislike the show.

You can also read to your hearts content, all the hateful comments about the show over on Facebook, if you care to listen to an echo chamber.