DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what places from the Eye of the World would you cut?

FancySkull

Yeah, I was replying more to mistborn's idea.

The problem with waiting to establish Elayne's romance with Rand until the Stone is that it makes the Wonder Girl's team up itself really contrived.  If you change the Liandrin betrayal to be about getting rid of Elayne, how and why would Nynaeve, Egwene and Min get swept up in it?  In the books, the girls bond over their shared connection with Rand.  Without that, you have to make something up. 

It makes sense for the Dark side to want to eliminate Rand's known friends.  Cause him pain, and all that.  It makes much less sense for Rhavin to bother doing away with Elayne when he already has Morgase wrapped around his little finger.  She's an irrelevant trifle, as far as the Shadow's concerned, who can be axed or enslaved/Turned whenever.  Elayne doesn't become a real threat to the Dark side, or a real target either, until after she goes back to Caemlyn for the Succession crisis storyline, where she begins to stabilize Andor politically, and get them ready to be a powerful fighting force for the Last Battle.

Elayne's emotional journey just doesn't make much sense unless her motivation begins with meeting Rand and becoming interested/besotted with him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

If you change the Liandrin betrayal to be about getting rid of Elayne, how and why would Nynaeve, Egwene and Min get swept up in it?  In the books, the girls bond over their shared connection with Rand.  Without that, you have to make something up. 

It’s not really that hard. I can think of 3 ways to do it off the top of my head:

(1) the kidnapping plot encompasses all three women. Elayne due to politics, the others due to the connection with Rand. 

(2) the Emond’s field girls get caught by Liandrin while hunting Black Ajah. 

(3) they go with Elayne because the girls become close friends during their time at the Tower (which is essentially the book’s plot)

On 2/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, Thrasymachus said:

If they take Rand to Tar Valon in the first season, it would make me seriously question Rafe's take on the series.  

As long as Rand doesn't go anywhere near White Tower it should be fine. Tar Valon is a huge metropolitan city and it makes sense that they would combine it with Caemlyn for the sake of the adaptation. They're gonna be using the Tar Valon set for years to come, while there's no need to show Caemlyn until TDR or possibly later. We'll probably meet Elayne and her brothers at the tower in season 2. Morgase in season 3 or 4 when Caemlyn will come into play in order to set up the Rahvin plot. Until then, I can't see them building these elaborate sets to use for only a few scenes when they can combine it into a location they'll be heavily using for years.

The reason Rand and friends reuniting in Tar Valon is such a popular theory is because an extra leaked a screenshot of the script with Tar Valon as the set around this time last year. This extra was later interviewed by WoTUp and told him that she filmed a scene with Rand and Mat where she played the part of an aes sedai's servant. There's enough there for many to suspect the scene probably happened in Tar Valon since that's where she was filming. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

5 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Are you referring to the leaked audition tapes? I'd take anything found in those with a huge grain of salt. They may bear no relationship whatsoever to the script of the actual show. 

They may not in terms of dialogue but in terms of events I would say it is very high probability.

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

It’s not really that hard. I can think of 3 ways to do it off the top of my head:

(1) the kidnapping plot encompasses all three women. Elayne due to politics, the others due to the connection with Rand. 

(2) the Emond’s field girls get caught by Liandrin while hunting Black Ajah. 

(3) they go with Elayne because the girls become close friends during their time at the Tower (which is essentially the book’s plot)

It's four women.  Why does everybody always forget Min in the Falme adventures?  

And what do the girls have to become close friends over, if not their common interest in Rand?  You can contrive all kinds of reasons to throw them together, but the only way that makes sense and stays true to who those characters, the emotional journeys they are about to begin, and the mythic roles they are to take is that common interest.  

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

And what do the girls have to become close friends over, if not their common interest in Rand? 

They joined the White Tower at the same time?
They're all from the Two Rivers, technically her "subjects".

They possibly talked about some of their Travels with Moraine to Elayne?

The Amyrlin has taken a special interest in all of them?

People have literally became besties for less.

Edited by SinisterDeath

9 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

And what do the girls have to become close friends over, if not their common interest in Rand? 

Because people who leave home and go to a place of learning where they live and study together never develop close friendships. ?

9 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

It's four women.  Why does everybody always forget Min in the Falme adventures?  

I didn’t forget her. I just believe she will be with Rand and not in the tower. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

I know everyone expects them to cut Baerlon but I hope they including the line dancing scene somewhere. I know it's not necessary but it's hilarious and humanizes Nyneave and Moiraine for the boys and the audience.

Seems like Nynaeve will be leaving Emond's Field with Rand and the others, so I'd guess it ends up getting cut. But it is a good scene and I hope it's not.