DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ring of Tamyrlin

Vaapad

OK, so we get a reference to the Ring of Tamyrlin in the Prologue to EotW - Ishy says LTT wore the Ring of Tamyrlin:

"Look at you. Once you stood first among the Servants. Once you wore the Ring of Tamyrlin, and sat in the High Seat. Once you summoned the Nine Rods of Dominion. Now look at you!"

Commentary on the Ring of Tamyrlin states that it was worn by the first person who channeled - possibly it was the first angreal/sa'angreal/ter'angreal.

Do we know anything else about it? Is it ever mentioned again in the text of the 11 published books? Has RJ said anything else about it? Do we ever get a description of what it looks like?

Thanks all!

Dave

He has said that Tamyrlin was the name of the first person to successfully channel without dying off. His ring was then passed foward as a sign of authority amongst the AS. Kinda like the Pope's ring. I don't remember it being said to be an angreal... I believe he did say that it was lost in the Breaking.

It always struck me as unlikely that in an age were social power was marked by social achievement and service that an icon of the High Seat of the Servants of All would be an angreal or sa'angreal... or indeed anything relating to the strength of that idividual.

Additionally, since both men and women wore the Ring of Tamyrlin, i don't see it being either angreal or sa'angreal. Certainly not the sa'angreal that Lanfear spoke of, which was made only for a man to use.

My guess is that it was just an icon... just a ring. But if not it may have been any number of things. A protective ter'angreal, a communicative ter'angreal, something to do with tel'aran'rhiod. We simply do not know enough about it.

Well you would lose. The Oath rods are binders. A part of the legal system of the Age of Legends.

The Rods of Dominion are people...specifically the nine regional leaders of the age of legends.

RJ has stated this.

The Nine Rod of Dominion, were as Luckers said, people. Regional governors/rulers that apparently reported periodically to the Tamyrlin.

The Oath Rod that the AS swear on, the other that the Shaido have and all the others that have been lost were used in the AoL to punish criminals, as we know from several Forsaken POV's, not as a badge of office for some ruler.

Guest Barmacral

Next time Luckers, don't tell him he'd lose, but instead get him to agree to a sum of money, to be sent via paypal, and then tell him he's wrong :P

Hello, operator? Please put me through to the police - I need to report a Hijacking! :lol:

As Luckers and others have stated, the Rods of Dominion are indeed people - Governers as someone else stated. Not oath rods - no way, no how.

Back to the Ring of Tamyrlin - ANY other information? I'm particularly interested in a visual descrption if one or part of one has ever been offered.

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Theresa Patterson and Robert Jordan. And in Australia its big and blue. It's also on occaision referred to as the Guide.

Next time Luckers, don't tell him he'd lose, but instead get him to agree to a sum of money, to be sent via paypal, and then tell him he's wrong

Lol. Damn! This is why i suck at gambeling. I play my hand too soon.

Also, The Dude, I just realise how harsh my post sounded... for some reason it didn't sound that harsh in my head. I'm currently having psychologists look at my head, since it seems a bizarre and terrifying place to be--so far three have committed suicide in what im sure is pure coincidence--but yeah, sorry for that.

There were actually hundreds of binders, though only two survive that we know of. The one in the tower is numbered 3, the one the Aiel have is numbered 111.

Archived