DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Trolloc pregnant with a Myrdraal baby and living in a stedding

Zorlon

So several years back some wicked clever and frightfully obsessed fans once convincingly deduced, from writings and interviews, that Myrdraal births occur at the same rate as humans who can channel, and thus Myrds are the result of Trolloc fetai receptive to Power being exposed to whatever for however many months they spend in the womb.

So now imagine Mama Trolloc is living in a Stedding where Power does not go.

What would become of the fetus? 

Is the transformation to Myrdraal a one time thing, like set from the moment of inception? Or is exposure to Power needed to shape the fetus into a Shadow Man over time?

If the latter would the half formed Myrdraal just die if Mama Trolloc spent much time in a stedding? And too would what might have been a Myrd be a normal Trolloc if conceived and carried to term in a stedding? Worse, might it possibly become a channeling Trolloc?

Is it even possible for Shadow spawn to conceive in a stedding, or outside of the Blight at all for that matter? I knows it's never suggested in the books, but only being able to breed in Shadowland would explain why some of the nastier blight creatures have not become worldwide infestations.

Well in any event what are your thoughts on this very pressing question?

• 2 weeks later...

A stedding would have no effect on a trolloc birth.  Trollcs breed like humans, the companion states females are mostly just used for breeding so they are never seen outside of the blight.  The OP and TP were used to create trollocs and shadowspawn, but they don't need it to reproduce.  But yes it's born a myrddraal.  They are the twisted offspring of Trollocs in which the human stock used to create Trollocs resurfaced,  but tainted by the by the evil that made the Trollocs.  So basicly when a Trolloc gives birth it's usually a Trolloc, but sometimes a Myrddraal happens

On 8/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, The Gambler Matrim said:

I don't think a Trollic would survive e very long in a Stedding. Might not get a welcome reception if you know what I mean!

No, I dont know what you mean. Ogier are exceptionally polite and I am sure they only kill Trollocs cause Trollocs do Trolloc stuff, not cause they are Trollocs.

If one came to a Stedding and was all "I just wanna have a baby" I am sure the Ogier would be accomodating.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Sabio said:

A stedding would have no effect on a trolloc birth.  Trollcs breed like humans, the companion states females are mostly just used for breeding so they are never seen outside of the blight.  The OP and TP were used to create trollocs and shadowspawn, but they don't need it to reproduce.  But yes it's born a myrddraal.  They are the twisted offspring of Trollocs in which the human stock used to create Trollocs resurfaced,  but tainted by the by the evil that made the Trollocs.  So basicly when a Trolloc gives birth it's usually a Trolloc, but sometimes a Myrddraal happens

I dont think you followed my reasoning. Myrds are the result of Trolloc fetai which can channel. We know being able to channel leaves one open to effects of Power(Turning, extended life span, Rand's kids able to channel since the womb being super good at it). In Myrds case it is the TP making them Shadowmen.

But there is no power accesable in the Stedding. So no causative source of change from Trolloc to Myrd.

Toothere is the question of whether Shadowspawn can even spawn outside of the Blight. 

There are plenty of nasty critters in the Blight which could be ecosystem wrecking invasive species, but they never leave the Blight.

And thats just on land. Now imagine the Oceanic Blight, and yet the seas are not filled with such horrors as born of that area.

Edited by Zorlon

Trolloc and Myrddraal can enter a stedding but need to be forced to.  So there is no reason a trolloc couldn't give birth in a stedding and that any offspring would die.  Myrddraal cannot channel, the OP and TP were used to make trollocs, but it's not needed for them to have babies, they have babies like everything else man trolloc and female trolloc get together and make trolloc magic.  Not sure where you got "Myrds are the result of Trolloc fetai which can channel" from.

8 hours ago, Sabio said:

Trolloc and Myrddraal can enter a stedding but need to be forced to.  So there is no reason a trolloc couldn't give birth in a stedding and that any offspring would die.  Myrddraal cannot channel, the OP and TP were used to make trollocs, but it's not needed for them to have babies, they have babies like everything else man trolloc and female trolloc get together and make trolloc magic.  Not sure where you got "Myrds are the result of Trolloc fetai which can channel" from.

The percentage of Trolloc births which are Myrds matches the percentage of human births which are channelers.

Two, we know being able to use the Power opens people up to vulnerabilities others do not experience. No Myrds cannot channel as they are, but being able to touchh the Source leaves them open to Shadow warping in the womb.

Myrds are Shadow warped Trollocs, how you missed that I do not know.

Three, if Shadowspawn can spawn outside of the Blight, then why have they not overrun every ecosystem?

The companion even says all Trolloc females do is breed and protect their young.  They never leave the blight they just stay there and have babies.   They don't travel or fight.

Where did you get the "The percentage of Trolloc births which are Myrds matches the percentage of human births which are channelers. "?  Or that Myrd can touch the source?

I didn't miss anything, in an earlier post I mentioned "Yes it's born a myrddraal.  They are the twisted offspring of Trollocs in which the human stock used to create Trollocs resurfaced,  but tainted by the by the evil that made the Trollocs."   Trollocs also can have babies that are mostly human, but those die or are killed soon after birth.  

Because the blight is their ecosystem. Like the waste, there are things that live just in the waste, so there are many things that can only live in the blight.  Other shadowspawn only leave the blight on orders.  A worm lives in the blight.

• Community Administrator
On 8/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, Sabio said:

Where did you get the "The percentage of Trolloc births which are Myrds matches the percentage of human births which are channelers. "?  Or that Myrd can touch the source?

There is only one Mydraal that may touch the Source (if it is even that) and his name is Shaidar Haren.
He is not a normal Mydraal by any means.

• 4 weeks later...

Myrddraal can sense channeling. They are used in the ritual to forcibly turn channelers to the Shadow, where 13 channelers channel through 13 myrddraals. They have otherwordly abilities and can bind Trollocs to their will.

I think the idea that Myrddraal are those trolloc spawns that would otherwise be able to to channel if they were human makes a lot of sense. However, I don't believe they were "exposed" to the OP or TP in the womb, no more than human channelers are "exposed" to the OP while in the womb. Instead, they are simply "throwbacks" to the human stock, and their otherwise affinity for channeling is twisted into their Myrddraal abilities.

Thus, a Trolloc that gives birth to a Myrddraal in a stedding would simply have a Myrddraal baby.