DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

January Chitter Chatter (2019)

Ryrin

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a pleasant end to 2018 and a good first day of 2019. We had friends over last night for our annual get-together of games and food. It's a laid back, enjoyable, pot-luck thing we started doing a few years ago. 

Today was enjoyably mellow, particularly as we did not once step out into the biting cold that descended upon us to start off the year! 

It looks like most of us like "mellow."

Lady, that sounds really fun!

James, was it a large party? We used to get together at a friend's house. We would all bring food. People could play board games or watch New Year's Eve shows. It was low key and fun.

Lily, I'm hoping for a much better year.

5 hours ago, Ryrin said:

James, was it a large party? We used to get together at a friend's house. We would all bring food. People could play board games or watch New Year's Eve shows. It was low key and fun

Sounds like your parties are more fun. There were maybe a couple dozen people there, some I've known for years, others I've never met before. The wives sit around the kitchen table drinking wine, eating desserts, and cackling at everything. Blame the wine for that. The husbands go upstairs and watch football. Three different games on three giant TVs.

Since I don't care for watching sports, I didn't really enjoy the evening. But these women are my wife's close friends, and this is about the only socialization I get in a year's time, so I go along. Low key fun and board games are more my style.

21 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

Sounds like your parties are more fun. There were maybe a couple dozen people there, some I've known for years, others I've never met before. The wives sit around the kitchen table drinking wine, eating desserts, and cackling at everything. Blame the wine for that. The husbands go upstairs and watch football. Three different games on three giant TVs.

Since I don't care for watching sports, I didn't really enjoy the evening. But these women are my wife's close friends, and this is about the only socialization I get in a year's time, so I go along. Low key fun and board games are more my style.

Yeah, I think ours was more fun. I'm going to start a board game group with a friend. She had a favorite board game about politics, it's called "Lie, Cheat' & Steal."  It's no longer in production but I got one in good condition on eBay.

Me too! We are collecting games. I have Cards Against Humanity and I was able to pick up a brand new Apples to Apples for $4.98 at a thrift store. We have two card games, Guillotine and Antidote. I also have some medieval games.

The game I’m really looking forward to is Catan and it’s various editions. The main game is $50. My son plays it on their game nights.

I'd have loved to play games into the new year.. but we were ever so brilliant and decided (for reasons) to get in the car 1 am on the first to drive for 22 hours from Canada to California. >.> But otherwise we had a lovely dinner and tea after chatting until we needed to sleep early. ?

But I'm with you Ryrin. Collecting people who are interested in trying/playing board games on various schedules is growing more and more difficult. ?