DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Holiday Movie Showdown!

Krakalakachkn

Hello my fellow movie lovers!

In honor of The Holidays, I decided it might be cool to have a Holiday Movie Showdown. Basically, I post two Holiday movies and everyone votes which of the two are their favorite. Eventually only one movie will remain, and that movie will be the Best Holiday Movie Ever!

Let's begin!

Our first tie contains two pretty recent Christmas movies with star-studded casts. Which one do you like better?

Round One, Tie One

Elf

Elf is a 2003 comedy film directed by Jon Favreau, written by David Berenbaum and starring Will Ferrell, James Caan, and Zooey Deschanel.

VS.

Love, Actually

Love Actually is a 2003 romantic comedy film written and directed by Richard Curtis. The screenplay delves into different aspects of love as shown through ten separate stories involving a wide variety of individuals, many of whom are shown to be interlinked as their tales progress. The ensemble cast is composed predominantly of British actors.

please feel free to pm me any of your favorites to put on the list!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT? When I think Holiday movie... Love Actually doesn't even come to mind. Sure.. wanna talk about romantic comedy... love actually is up there. When you talk holidays and compare it to Elf... Elf wins hands down. Oh right... love actually had a Christmas play or something.. and some.. snow?.. oh and that old guy trying to remake his classic Xmas song.... that qualifies it. this is like saying Die Hard is a holiday movie because he wrote "Ho ho ho, now I have a gun" and comparing it to Miracle on 34th street (which I bet Krak does now that bastard).

Was Love actually a better movie than Elf... yes. Is it a better holiday movie... ummm... hell no.

Elf

BTW... how does The Christmas Story not win this game hands down :P

Well damn, I totally expected Elf to win! I heart Elf so much more than I heart Love, Actually.

And Empy, Love Actually is a Christmas movie. All they say throughout the whole movie is, "Normally I wouldn't do this, but since it's Christmas....". I know it's a thin line, but I think, in the end, Love Actually qualifies as a Holiday movie.

And I guess we will see what movie wins in the end! It might just be Die Hard (which I consider to be the Dark Horse in this competition).

Also, voting ends Monday at 8pm my time! That means 2pm EST.

We're still doing Love Actually v. Elf right? I vote Love Actually. Which is so a holiday movie! I certainly wouldn't watch it at any other time of the year, it would be weird. Which for me means it must be a holiday movie :tongue:

Actually i don't think that qualifys it as a christmas movie at all, its just a movie taking place during the end of the year.

Elf hands down on that as a chirstmas movie.

but in good movie I'd say love actually, its just not a x-mas movie. might as well say the family stone is a chrismas movie.

Well, despite the contradictions and debate raging back and forth, it looks like Love, Actually is our winner! Now it's time for Round 2.

Round One, Tie Two

The Grinch

Directed by Ron Howard, produced by Howard and Brian Grazer, and starring Jim Carrey, it is the first Dr. Seuss story made into a feature film. The film received mixed reviews from critics, but spent four weeks as the #1 film in the United States.

VS.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a 1993 stop motion fantasy film directed by Henry Selick and produced/co-written by Tim Burton. It tells the story of Jack Skellington, a being from "Halloween Town" who opens a portal to "Christmas Town". Danny Elfman wrote the film score and provided the singing voice of Jack, as well as other minor characters. The remaining principal voice cast includes Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'Hara, William Hickey, Ken Page and Glenn Shadix.

Voting ends Wednesday at 8pm (2pm EST)

First I can't belive that anyone picked Love actually over Elf!!!! seriously ppl need to get thier heads checked.

Ok this one is a much fairer fight. I love the grinch for its complete over the top acting and classic christmas feel. However, NBC is so visually enjoyable and so very will put together it is an amazing movie. But I don't really consider it a christmas movie. Yes it's got santa and all but to me its more a Haloween movie. So

GRINCH!!!!! :biggrin:

BTW... how does The Christmas Story not win this game hands down :P

Because there are way better movies out there. I would say Fanny & Alexander, but I suspect I am the only one here who have seen it. Heck, probably the only one who has even heard of it (It is Bergmans masterpiece).

Ok, the NIghtmare Before Christmas wins a stunning victory over The Grinch.

Here's the next tie:

Round One, Tie Three

It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 American drama film produced and directed by Frank Capra and based on the short story "The Greatest Gift" written by Philip Van Doren Stern.

The film stars James Stewart as George Bailey, a man whose imminent suicide on Christmas Eve brings about the intervention of his guardian angel, Clarence Odbody (Henry Travers). Clarence shows George all the lives he has touched and the contributions he has made to his community..

VS.

A Christmas Story

A Christmas Story is a 1983 American Christmas comedy film based on the short stories and semi-fictional anecdotes of author and raconteur Jean Shepherd, including material from his books In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, and Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories. It was directed by Bob Clark. The film has since become a holiday classic and is known to be shown numerous times on television during the Christmas season, usually in a 24-hour marathon.

Voting ends Friday at 8pm (2pm EST)

Archived