DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Theory: Structure of the Wheel

LapisPharaoh

Introduction

This theory entails how the Wheel of Time is structured and the layout of the Ages. For the purposes of this theory, I have assumed that there are in fact 2 Champions of the Light, a male soul (the Dragon) and a female soul (the Phoenix). I have taken Phoenix to be the name of the female soul because in Chinese culture the Phoenix and the Dragon represent Yin and Yang...

The Theory:

So this is how I assume the Ages are layed out in the Wheel of Time:

• First Age (Age of Survival): This Age involves with the survival of the human civilization after the Breaking of the World during the previous Age. This is the Age where we, the readers live in. This Age ends in the discovery of the One Power.
  • Second Age (Age of Peace): Known to us as the Age of Legends, this Age deals with Chanelling of both halves of the One Power and advancement in technology, which leads to an entire age of Peace. The Second Age ends with the Dark One breaking lose and the male Champion, the Dragon incompletely sealing the Bore causing the Tainting of Saidin, and Breaking of the World caused by mad men.
  • Third Age (Age of War): Due to the Breaking and Tainting of Saidin, this age is filled with war and chaos, but it isn't as bad as the First Age because Saidar is present to balance Saidin. This Age ends with the Dragon Reborn Cleansing Saidin and completely sealing the Bore. There is no Breaking.
  • Fourth Age (Age of Peace): With both halves being clean and advancement in technology, this age mirrors the Second Age. This Age ends with ends the Dark One breaking lose again and the female Champion, the Phoenix incompletely sealing the Bore causing the Tainting of Saidar, and Breaking of the World caused by mad women.
  • Fifth Age (Age of War): Due to the Breaking and Tainting of Saidar, this age is filled with war and chaos, but it isn't as bad as the First Age because Saidin is present to balance Saidar. This Age ends with the Phoenix Reborn Cleansing Saidar and completely sealing the Bore. There is no Breaking.
  • Sixth Age (Age of Peace): With both halves being clean and advancement in technology, this age mirrors the Second Age. This Age ends with ends the Dark One breaking lose again and both the Dragon and the Phoenix incompletely sealing the Bore causing the Tainting of both halves of the One Power, and Breaking of the World, caused by all channelers.
  • Seventh Age (Age of War): With both halves being Tainted, the Breaking continues throughout the Age, causing dramatic decrease in number of channelers, people being extremely skeptic of all channelers. This Age ends with complete sealing of the Bore by the Dragon and the Phoenix Reborn. 

I really like this Dragon and Phoenix theory. The only issues for me are the first two Ages. The first Age is supposed to be our time, where the One Power is unknown. That Age I think ends with the One Power's discovery. The Second age is Saidin and Saidar being used extensively to benefit the world. The cool idea here is that either gender can be tainted or inaccessible as the Wheel dictates. The Dragon or the Phoenix could then appear in the Third Age to correct what has happened after shepherding the end of the Second Age depending on which gender is affected. Very cool. I just wish there were hints of the Phoenix idea in the books, unless Nakomi is it. But that is wishful thinking I feel.

I really like this Dragon and Phoenix theory. The only issues for me are the first two Ages. The first Age is supposed to be our time, where the One Power is unknown. That Age I think ends with the One Power's discovery. The Second age is Saidin and Saidar being used extensively to benefit the world. The cool idea here is that either gender can be tainted or inaccessible as the Wheel dictates. The Dragon or the Phoenix could then appear in the Third Age to correct what has happened after shepherding the end of the Second Age depending on which gender is affected. Very cool. I just wish there were hints of the Phoenix idea in the books, unless Nakomi is it. But that is wishful thinking I feel.

I always thought that the Phoenix of the 3rd age was Egwene. I also think that both, the Dragon and the Phoenix are born together at the end of an Age, in case one turns to the Shadow. The Ta'vereness is an indicator which one is the dominant one. As for Channeling in First Age, due to the extensive breaking in the 7th one, channeling has become much rare, more so than in the 3rd age, and due to the distrust of channelers, people kill anyone who indicates traits of channeling, like the Witch Hunt of Panem, from our history. 

When you look closely, there could be truth to this theory of the Dragon and Phoenix. Meanwhile, we have scientists that have successfully created a human -pig hybrid. That is soo scary

Haha, it really is, but think of it this way, if we do live in the Third Age, we have about 1000 years more till channeling is discovered lol. I do wish this was true though...

0. Misleading title (I thought there will be something else.)

1. There is only one Champion.

2. He's a male.

3. According to Jordan, there was a phoenix among the symbols carved into his Chinese chair.

0. What else could it be?

1. 2. As I said, for the purpose of this theory, I assumed there are 2 Champions, because the souls have genders.

3. I don't know what to do with that information...

2. He's a male.

Where is this stated? Certainly in the series it's all we're shown. Is there a source elsewhere that has addressed this?

Regardless, I'm very fond of this hypothesis.

I always thought that the Phoenix of the 3rd age was Egwene.

Very cool. I've always perceived her as a counterweight. The thought that they are more akin to a double edged sword is satisfying.

2. He's a male.

Where is this stated? Certainly in the series it's all we're shown. Is there a source elsewhere that has addressed this?

Regardless, I'm very fond of this hypothesis.

I always thought that the Phoenix of the 3rd age was Egwene.

Very cool. I've always perceived her as a counterweight. The thought that they are more akin to a double edged sword is satisfying.

Thanks

robert jordan addressed this more than once,the champion of light

is not only always a male,he is also always the same soul,rand by

definition,is the eternal guardian of the world.

I was thinking, if something like Slayer (one body; two souls) can exist, why can't there be something like a fragmented soul. Two bodies with the same broken soul, with one half being man and the other a woman?

So the question is; who fought Rand's soul when he went over to the Shadow?? Ishamael for the Light or another??

Also it is a waste to have a Champion that only uses Saidin when Saidar is there with no one of equivalent importance to use it. This is why I love this theory. A Superman and Wonder Woman in this world would be awesome.

So the question is; who fought Rand's soul when he went over to the Shadow?? Ishamael for the Light or another??

Also it is a waste to have a Champion that only uses Saidin when Saidar is there with no one of equivalent importance to use it. This is why I love this theory. A Superman and Wonder Woman in this world would be awesome.

Thank you. That's exactly what I've been saying. I think the very reason the One Power has two halves is because they act as a counterweight to each other. If one turns to the shadow, the other takes its place to fight against the dark one. If the CotL turned to the shadow, why didn't the dark one win? Who was there to stop him? Answer: The Phoenix. Also, I just finished ToM for the first time and something jumped out to me, through Avinedha's visions of the Fourth Age, we see something like the Pact of the Griffin exists. Maybe the Griffin is our metaphorical Phoenix...?

Maybe the DO never wins because Rand as an agent of the Dark is not very effective. Remember that the more enthusiastic a person was about serving the Light, the better servant of the DO they make, but something is missing from them. Rand as the Creator was somewhat resigned to dying, so he was forced into the job, unlike the girls, who deliberately took up causes. In the end, Rand apparently was no good as a Darkfriend.

Rand also explains pretty much why the DO never wins (at least not a victory to the DO).  The DO wants people to give up, lose hope, beg for mercy etc..  That is victory for him, not simply killing everyone.  But you saw during the Last Battle, they are willing to fight to the very end no matter what.  So the DO might kill everyone, for him that's not a victory.  Also as Rand said the DO doesn't inspire people to sacrifice themselves etc for others, all his followers are selfish, would Dem willingly die for the other chosen if it mean victory?  So even if LTT did serve the DO during other times, the DO would still have the same issues, selfish people only looking out for themselves. 

I was under the impression that Mat and Perrin were there in case Rand is turned, not Egwene. Isn't that why they are ta'veren, as a sort of failsafe for the pattern.

I like Eg, but I thought her purpose was to unite the Aes Sedai before the LB.

I do like the full circle aspect of saidar being tainted, even if I find it unlikely. Nice thought.

How would Egwene be equipped to fight the DO better than the ta'veren? It doesn't require the one power, but i would think it would need a ta'veren.

QUESTION

Ishamael mentions in prior turnings of the Wheel that the soul of Lews Therin was raised up as the Shadow's champion, and if that is the case, who was the champion of the Creator?

ROBERT JORDAN

You believe Ishamael??? Sorry, man, but c'mon!

FOOTNOTE

RJ effectively answered this question twice in 2003: 1) for tarvalon.net, and 2) for Tim Kington on the Crossroads of Twilight book tour. The first version of the question (which clearly refers to Rand, as Ishamael was talking about Rand, and RJ said Ishamael did not lie) seems to contradict this one, but it doesn't, really. RJ does not say here explicitly that Ishamael lied, so it seems that he was avoiding the question of who would be the Champion of the Light if Rand turned. He could hardly say RAFO without leading the reader to believe that Rand would be somehow turned to the Shadow before the end.

While this doesn't explicitly state it would be mat or Perrin, the pattern would find a new champion.

Archived