DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brah, do you even Role Play?

Tsukibana

Another easy way to learn is to jump in with pre-made characters. The average group of players should contain one rogue, wizard, fighter, and cleric.

A DM can save time, and give new players a taste, by drawing up generic characters, letting each player pick one, and running them through a one-shot adventure or dungeon.

Oh no, Play by mail is even worse than play by post. No, Pen and Paper refers to you, 4 friends, a boat-load of snacks, stacks of books, arguments about music, laughing when a player fumbles at

a critical moment, smacking your friend for taking the last slice of pizza, losing dice under the table, arguing about what to do when a die falls against a book and isn't clear about the result...

yup. Once video games came out, face-to-face RPGs became know as either "pen-and-paper" or "tabletop" RPGs. Now days, despite being able to play in various ways (skype, play by post, etc), they

kept the name and adapted it to mean any RPG where there are character sheets (although filling one in using pen is dumb, unless you are a DM making an NPC).

I too enjoy my video games, Chels... but for me, growing up, gaming was a social activity. Money was tight, and game systems, or PCs capable of playing the newer games just weren't

in the budget.  Since losing touch with my high school group, I have tried the solo and MMO games... but they fail. RPGs are, to me, about the role. MMOs fail horribly, and turn into

twink-fests, with everyone bragging about their DPS and whinging about gear. The players can not create new stories... Solo RPGs are closer, but still fall short. There is simply

TOO much to ever try to make a game a true RPG. Take Skyrim - A Dunmer can join the stormcloaks, no prob. Khajit hero? Only one allowed into any city, but no racist remarks...

Sigh. But like I said, it's the activity I miss most, working together to create stories that you are still talking about 5 years later...

"Hey man, remember your dumb-ass Wish?? Yeah, the one where we were fighting those Red Dragons in the caldera of an ancient volcano, and they kept hiding in the lava, swimming

from pool to pool? What was the wish, again? Oh, yeah, I wish all the magma and lava within one mile was turned to ice?? Remember the result? *laughter* that bloody volcano cracked

like a frozen glass dropped in boiling water!! Yeah, and the gnome?? Tried to hide inside his adamantine, Instant Fortress?? HAH!! Launched his ass into space!"

*True Story*

I really like playing games with real people. I have a whole mountain of board games and the real interactions during those games are brilliant.

I remember my sister in law bought me this old game called Nightmare and you had to watch a vhs video whilst you were playing. There was a tad of wine and so on and suddenly shouting out that my brother-in-law's name was Raymond was hysterical.

Games are fun.

Ohh man, I totally know what you mean about the stories! Especially critical fail rolls tend to result in some quality entertainment. :D

And yeah, I really enjoy the roleplaying aspect of it, too. Although I think we caused our GM some grey hairs with one group because we had a warrior, who made it very clear that he wasn't our friend and that he was in the team just for money and whatever his other reasons were... And my cleric and the paladin didn't appreciate his attitude, so a few times we just didn't wake him up when something happened and we went to investigate, which led to the warrior sleeping through a couple of fights. I suppose that campaign was a learning experience for us all. x)

Archived