DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brah, do you even Role Play?

Tsukibana

Call me crazy, but I am having a yearning to get back into some Pen-and-Paper Roleplaying.

Trouble is, I don't do well walking down to my FNGS (Freindly Neighborhood Game Store) and trying to insert myself into a game.

Not to mention the problem of being in the sticks (for those not familiar with that term, it means I am quite a distance from large population centers).

I have tried Play-by-Post, and I find it too slow.

So here is what I am asking:

Do my fellower BTers game? Are you opposed to playing via Skype, Google Talk, etc. If you have a game, are you looking for a new player? Would you be interested

in joining a game? What systems do you know/play?

*Stepping pretty far out of my comfort zone, but damn it, Skyrim is LONELY.*

Talk to me.

First, figure out a system/setting that interests you. rules exist for Wheel of TIme, Cthulu Mythos, Dresden Files, Vampires, Werwolves, Generic Fantasy Creature X,

Traditional Fantasy, Steampunk, Cyber Punk, Mechs, Espionage... it really is endless.

One of the universal themes, though, is the creation of a chracter, a method for determining what the character is skilled at (using certain weapons, magic, etc),

a method for determing the outcome of events (usually dice). Two types of players are needed - GMs (Game Masters, several variants on this name exist), and 

PCs (Player Characters). The GM is responsible for setting the stage, creatings enemies, traps and puzzles, and figuring out how the world reacts to the  actions

of the players.

Game styles run the gamut from Rule-heavy to casual, Hack and Slash to Political Thriller... it depends on what interests you, and finding other players of like mind.

First, figure out a system/setting that interests you. rules exist for Wheel of TIme, Cthulu Mythos, Dresden Files, Vampires, Werwolves, Generic Fantasy Creature X,

Traditional Fantasy, Steampunk, Cyber Punk, Mechs, Espionage... it really is endless.

One of the universal themes, though, is the creation of a chracter, a method for determining what the character is skilled at (using certain weapons, magic, etc),

a method for determing the outcome of events (usually dice). Two types of players are needed - GMs (Game Masters, several variants on this name exist), and 

PCs (Player Characters). The GM is responsible for setting the stage, creatings enemies, traps and puzzles, and figuring out how the world reacts to the  actions

of the players.

Game styles run the gamut from Rule-heavy to casual, Hack and Slash to Political Thriller... it depends on what interests you, and finding other players of like mind.

I might be reasonable good at being the GM. Is that like the Dungeon Master?

I like making up games and situations.

@ Turin - LOL, Dice. You can play entire campaigns in your web-browser. roll20.net has created an in-browser, free (with premium purchases, of course) app that does everythin for you.

Tech is fun. Besides, dice aren't the problem, its the books. Of course, I have almost 400 books from various games in PDF format...

I've done some pen & paper roleplaying some years ago and I've really wanted to get back into it but I don't know people IRL who do it anymore. Might be interested in joining a game via skype/etc thingies but time zones may be an issue for scheduling sessions?

I might be reasonable good at being the GM. Is that like the Dungeon Master?

I like making up games and situations.

That is exactly what a Dungeon Master is. GM is simply used more broadly. Dungeon Master is pretty much Dungeons and Dragons only.

DM-ing is one of my favorite parts of the game. It is fun, but requires time and energy to create a great session. Also, running games requires a lot of familiarity with the rules system being used, as 

it is up to the DM to figure out what happens when someone tries something not covered by the rules.

I've done some pen & paper roleplaying some years ago and I've really wanted to get back into it but I don't know people IRL who do it anymore. Might be interested in joining a game via skype/etc thingies but time zones may be an issue for scheduling sessions?

Time zones can definitely be an issue, especially with RL jobs and such.

Ah ... then not for me as yet I think.

The DM-ing, yeah it can be alot to take in. I have mentored quite a few people through their first experiences running a game. It is the method I recommend.

And I don't really do Skype. I do use google talk and stuff though. of course that would mean people would actually get to see me lol.

There are always other options, such as Raid Call, Teamspeak, Vent... these are mainly used for playing games like world of warcraft, but they are voice only. Plus, you could always just deactivate the web cam, and then no one can see you :)

I guess you could say it comes down to activity. If you are on, and are a decent typer, you could do it in a chat room, so long as a dice rollers were coded in and the DM could

post images. Play-by-Post is like that - you play in a web forum. My biggest gripe with the speed was that some guys would only post once a day, or twice a week. Makes getting through basic

game events (like the obligatory "You're Level One, go kill goblins" fight, take WEEKS.

Exactly!! Chat google, combined with a thirdparty tabletop (like the one I posted earlier, but no need to use the chat function (saving bandwidth and avoiding disconnects).

LOL - I said the exact same thing!! I pissed a DM off once because my sorceror refused to hunt goblins. I actually went in, convinced them (the goblins) I was a dragon, and led them to attack the village, since

the mayor was so intent on wiping them out. "but, but, they are GOBLINS!!??" good time.

I can not give a simple answer to that. There are many, many games, each with different rules, and such.

The most basic system, called the d20 system, goes something like this.

1) Roll 4 six-sided dice (hereafter called a "d6", so roll "4d6"). remove the lowest value, and record the sum of the highest numbers (creating a total between 3 and 18)

2) Repeat step 1 five more times, creating 6 total values between 3 and 18.

3) Decide on Race and Class - These two things should be done together, because some races and classes go well together. A race with a bonus to Intelligence makes a good Wizard, while a race with a

penalty might have a harder time playing one; but do not let that stop you. The game is not about numbers. If you want to play an orc wizard, do so. But it WILL be harder, I won't lie.

4) Once the race and class have been decided, you would begin filling in your character sheet:

dnd3_character_sheet_std_105.png

Don't be intimidated, it's less work than it looks. A skilled character builder can be done in 5-15 minutes. First timers usually take about an hour, longer if they have never seen the source 

material before.

The first thing place on your sheet are your stats - there are 6 - Strength STR, Dexterity DEX, Constitution CON, Intelligence INT, Wisdom WIS, and Charisma CHA. You place the 6 numbers you

generated earlier into the appropriate slots - if you wanna play a Barbarian, and you have a 17, that should probably be your Str or Con. WIth me so far?

Archived