DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

please help!

scarlettemoon

This question has been bothering me since i read the last book. At the end when Mat is talking to Arthur Hawking he asks if when he was hung at rhuidean broke him from the horn of valere. Hawking replies that it was a time before that but both times he was reveived by Rand. What time is he talking about i reread the series and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know??

wot wikia says

A side effect of his filled-in memories is that he is now fluent in the Old Tongue, although often with varying accents.[26] Mat is poisoned somewhere after Rhuidean from being slobbered on by a Darkhound, which Rand kills with balefire (undoing the actual poisoning to a degree and preventing Mat's death).[27] Mat faces death once more during Rand's invasion of Caemlyn; he was killed, along with Aviendha and Asmodean, by Rahvin's channeling.[28] However, shortly afterward, Rand killed Rahvin with enough balefire to undo those deaths and permanently kill Rahvin. This fulfills the first Aelfinn prophecy; therefore releasing Mat as the current hornsounder and breaking his link with the Horn of Valere.[29]

INTERVIEW: 2013
Twitter 2013 (WoT) (Verbatim)
LISA MERCER (23 JANUARY 2013)
When was the second time that Mat had died? Was it when he was 'reborn' with a new name from his marriage?
BRANDON SANDERSON (23 JANUARY 2013)
Rahvin's attack.

The Darkhound attack may have been the previous event that cut the bond with the Horn as Balefire was used to save his life, even if he hadn't died yet, he would have. 

This question has been bothering me since i read the last book. At the end when Mat is talking to Arthur Hawking he asks if when he was hung at rhuidean broke him from the horn of valere. Hawking replies that it was a time before that but both times he was reveived by Rand. What time is he talking about i reread the series and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know??

"Of course we fight for the Light," Hawkwing said. "We would never fight for the Shadow."

"But I was told---" Mat began

"You were told wrong," Hawkwing said.

"Besides," Hend said, laughing. "If the other side had been able to summon us, you'd be dead by now!"

"I did die," Mat said, rubbing at the scar on his neck. "Apparently that tree claimed me."

"Not the tree, Gambler," Hawkwing said. "Another moment, one that you cannot remember. It is fitting, as Lews Therin did save your life both times."

"Remember him," Amaresu snapped. "I have seen you murmur that you fear his madness, but all the while you forget that every breath you breathe, every step you take, comes at his forbearance. Your life is a gift from the Dragon Reborn, Gambler. Twice over."

• 2 weeks later...

When I skimmed the scene, I thought 3 times::

-the tree (Rand doing CPR)

-the darkhounds (balefire)

-Rahvin hunt (balefire)

though the 2 balefire times seem to fit the context of the scene better.

Hawking tells him it was an incident before he was hanged otherwise the hanging would have severed the link because he did die.

Per RJ:

Interview: Jan 16th, 2003 Tim Kington
My friend Josh and I had been talking about how Rand and Mat spent a week in Rhuidean, and so he asked how long Mat was hanging.
Robert Jordan

Long enough.

JOSH

Long enough for what?

ROBERT JORDAN

Long enough to be ALMOST dead.

Hawkwing never said it was a time before the hanging. 

"Not the tree Gambler," Hawkwing said.  "Another moment, one that you cannot remember.  It is fitting, as Lewis Therin did save your life both times."

So it as Rhavin balefire when Mat died and the hanging he came close to dying.  The darkhound isn't counted since it got balefired too fast so Mat was not close to dying yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the key is "one that you cannot remember".

Doesn't Mat remember the darkhounds at the door?  Even though Ran BF'ed them, I though Mat still had a memory of the attack.

On the other hand, I don't recall any of the people that died in Rhavin's trap remembering dying.

Archived