DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

March chatter

U4ea

Math is an ever present reality in the world... You'll need to know it or you will forever be missing DT skill and being taken advantage of... And losing it in work because you can't do it.

I disagree. I haven't needed it since school.

To chime in on 'math'. :smile: As an author, and an artist (and an English teacher) I find the majority of the math I use daily I learned in Algebra 1 or earlier, with the exception of some elements of Geometry and occasionally Trig (which I find useful often in many physical applications as well as drawing). In my day-to-day life the math I used most often is the math I use for determining students' grades (as a teacher), and keeping my finances balanced. The ability to do math based in science however, is definitely useful as a novelist as far as things like "can this catapult realistically actually fire this flaming rock as far as I'm claiming it's going and damage that wall as much as I'm saying it did." 

I, personally, find higher math often challenging and it requires a lot of extra diligence on my part to make sure I've done it right, but there are times when I use it. Mostly I use basic, practical math for day-to-day things. That said, if you are good at it, run with it! It gives you a wider variety of options in our very fluky job market. :smile: 

I still have the rest of high school and then college to take math, and it's all useless since I'm planning on becoming a professional author and artist.

Old lady warning... What you plan and what actually happens are rarely the same thing. Prepare for everything while you still have time to do it!

I still don't want a math-related job.

Especially since I am horrible at math.

It's funny; I a TA for Astronomy, and there tend to be four categories:

Those who like math and get the material

Those who like math but claim that this astronomy stuff isn't the same as the math they know (bogus; just a different way of applying it)

Those who don't like math, recognize the math immediately, and don't get it

Those who don't like math, recognize the math immediately, claim they don't get it, but actually do decently.

The last category is the most common. 

It's useless to me too. Geometry might be useful in art if I drew lots of bulidings/architecture, but that's about it, and I don't draw that anyway. And it won't be useful in writing either, considering the crazy universe I write in where pretty much anything is possible.

Archived