DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How I Met Your Mother - Final Season [Possible SPOILERS]

SBoydW

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the verge of hating it, until the French Horn scene... redemption granted.

WHAT?!

That was exactly the problem.

Agreed. Hated that. Spend 9 seasons getting over her and eventually ends up right back at the beginning.

Think that's exactly what they were going for unfortunately. Seems like they're trying to do a Seinfield like ending. Trying to go full circle and ending up ruining it.

what can I say... I liked it...  there isn't some philosophical or logical reason behind it... I just liked it.

It didn't bother you that Ted spent 9 seasons getting over Robin, finding the actual love of his life, having two kids with her, having her die, only to go chase Robin again? Really? I mean there was so much wrong with that. How many wasted episodes did we get where Ted realizes he doesn't love Robin like that, she doesn't love him like that, it'll never work, they're too different. It was drilled into our heads over and over and culminated with an episode where Ted LITERALLY lets Robin go. But nevermind all that because lol it's Ted and Robin duhhhh. And the kids not even batting an eyelash or saying something like "I miss mom" when Ted talks about her being sick and dying? Yeah that's believable. And the kids both want him to go after Robin neither one has a problem with it.

Ok I'll stop ranting for a second and say it's not a bad ending...for a show that should have ended 3-5 years ago.

It was a bad ending for the show that lasted 9 years. We saw these characters change and grow together only to have the writers go hey remember all that change? Nahhh never happened they're the same people they always were despite everything that's happened to them. Barney is still a womanizer even though he settled down for Robin. Robin still puts her career over her friends even though she already went down that road and hated it. Ted...well we've been over that. The only ones who didn't need retconning were Marshall and Lily. If this show had ended at like season 4 or 5 this way it would have been fine. Ending season 9 like that was the wrong move and clearly I'm not the only one who thinks so.

• Community Administrator

what can I say... I liked it...  there isn't some philosophical or logical reason behind it... I just liked it.

It didn't bother you that Ted spent 9 seasons getting over Robin, finding the actual love of his life, having two kids with her, having her die, only to go chase Robin again? Really? I mean there was so much wrong with that. How many wasted episodes did we get where Ted realizes he doesn't love Robin like that, she doesn't love him like that, it'll never work, they're too different. It was drilled into our heads over and over and culminated with an episode where Ted LITERALLY lets Robin go. But nevermind all that because lol it's Ted and Robin duhhhh. And the kids not even batting an eyelash or saying something like "I miss mom" when Ted talks about her being sick and dying? Yeah that's believable. And the kids both want him to go after Robin neither one has a problem with it.

Ok I'll stop ranting for a second and say it's not a bad ending...for a show that should have ended 3-5 years ago.

It was a bad ending for the show that lasted 9 years. We saw these characters change and grow together only to have the writers go hey remember all that change? Nahhh never happened they're the same people they always were despite everything that's happened to them. Barney is still a womanizer even though he settled down for Robin. Robin still puts her career over her friends even though she already went down that road and hated it. Ted...well we've been over that. The only ones who didn't need retconning were Marshall and Lily. If this show had ended at like season 4 or 5 this way it would have been fine. Ending season 9 like that was the wrong move and clearly I'm not the only one who thinks so.

The part I disliked about the ending, was the total -un-focus on how he met the mother, and how it all ended up being how he convinced his kids to let him go after robin.

In many ways, its insulting to the mother that she was such a 2-bit player int he entire thing.

That said. The ending Does make sense. 

One of the reasons Robin couldn't be with Ted, (in the beginning) is her lack of ability to have children. (Something she knew Ted wanted) Now that kids are out of the way, they won't have to have that conversation.

Though, they'll have to have the conversation about having sex, when she had sex with Barney.

She might want to get tested...

My only problem with the ending was the kids, they didn't sell it to me. They were way to cheerfull and easy going , I mean they are both teeneagers and there mom only died 6 years ago. If they would have been a little mire tearful, and then given Ted permission to find happiness, I think it would of gelled better

Nolder, in response. Nope.

And Sin, the show was never focused on the mother. It was always about Ted's search for love. He found it twice.

I understand that. But the point was, for him 'finally' finding 'the one' we didn't even really get to 'see' there relationship, like we did his others.

It was intentional (obviously), but it doesn't prevent it from being any less disappointing.

One of the reasons Robin couldn't be with Ted, (in the beginning) is her lack of ability to have children. (Something she knew Ted wanted) Now that kids are out of the way, they won't have to have that conversation.

No, it doesn't make sense and I will never concede it does.

That effing show beat the audience over the head with a hammer over and over telling them how Ted and Robin would never work for more reasons than just kids.

We had that episode of Ted telling Robin he doesn't feel that way anymore and literally letting her go.

After all that the writers just went "lol nevermind Ted lied"? No. That is cheap and unforgivable.

I call bad writing on that and will not accept it. Does it happen in real life? Sure. This is not real life and we expect better than that.

Nolder, in response. Nope.

You're much easier to please than I am I guess.

My only problem with the ending was the kids, they didn't sell it to me. They were way to cheerfull and easy going , I mean they are both teeneagers and there mom only died 6 years ago. If they would have been a little mire tearful, and then given Ted permission to find happiness, I think it would of gelled better

Exactly. They didn't even seem the least bit upset when Ted spoke about her death. If she died when they were babies I could get that but they were old enough to have known their mother so a deep sigh or something would have been appreciated. But no they were just REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ROBIN YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

The show wasn't called "your mother's and my relationship" it was called "how I met your mother" and that was fulfilled.

In that case it should have ended when they met, no?

Yeah, the way I see it, I loved the show for 7-8 years (I started watching during the second season) so I'm not gonna let a not perfect but acceptable/fair ending spoil anything. And other then the mom dying the last episode was perfect. And the story portion of the show did end when he met her. After he told the kids how they met we got the short after portion where he went back to Robin.

I've said this before to others and I'll say it again-I was sad about how it ended.

True they wrapped all the ends up but that's not the point. The whole point was how Ted met the Mother and they lived happily together. It was supposed to be about the mother. Robin had her time till then. It was How I met your Mother not How I met your mother, she died and I went after your aunt robin.

It makes the mother seem like a second fiddle, a third wheel.

I mean what was the point of last season and Ted repeatedly telling that he got over Robin? 

• 3 weeks later...

Oye....  we already know the mother's version of how i met your dad. (It was semi-boring)

Meaning, if they make a spin-off "How I met your father/dad", it's going to be a completely different set of characters... and it can either go well, or fail spectacularly. (Think, That 80's show,  or The Joey Show))

Oye....  we already know the mother's version of how i met your dad. (It was semi-boring)

Meaning, if they make a spin-off "How I met your father/dad", it's going to be a completely different set of characters... and it can either go well, or fail spectacularly. (Think, That 80's show,  or The Joey Show))

That's exactly what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

That effing show beat the audience over the head with a hammer over and over telling them how Ted and Robin would never work for more reasons than just kids.

We had that episode of Ted telling Robin he doesn't feel that way anymore and literally letting her go.

After all that the writers just went "lol nevermind Ted lied"? No. That is cheap and unforgivable.

I call bad writing on that and will not accept it. Does it happen in real life? Sure. This is not real life and we expect better than that.

You're missing the biggest piece of the puzzle here: Ted is, and always was an unreliable narrator. The final season, especially the last episode makes it really clear how guilty Ted feels for falling for Robin again. He's spent the whole show trying to show his kids how perfect they are for each other, but simultaneously making it crystal clear to them that he was over her when he met their mother. It would have been unforgivable for him to have implied that he had feelings for Robin during his relationship with their mother, but for him to fall back in love with the woman that he couldn't escape for the 8 main years of the show makes perfect sense. In most shows implying that Ted lied would be a cheap gimmick, but there is so much precedent here for it. He lies to his kids outright, omits chunks of stories, and mixes up plots because he can't really remember how it happened. Viewing the whole show whilst keeping his bias in mind makes this fit quite well.

Exactly. They didn't even seem the least bit upset when Ted spoke about her death. If she died when they were babies I could get that but they were old enough to have known their mother so a deep sigh or something would have been appreciated. But no they were just REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ROBIN YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Whilst they were a bit blase about talking about their mothers death, the writers put in nods towards why they would be so excited. Think about it, both of them have probably known that their father wanted to get back with Robin before he did, Ted has always been a bit oblivious to his feelings and transparent to others.

The show wasn't called "your mother's and my relationship" it was called "how I met your mother" and that was fulfilled.

I, for one, would have been incredibly disappointed if it had.

All that being said, I did still have one problem with the finale.

Lily didn't pay Marshal the five bucks they bet.

You're missing the biggest piece of the puzzle here: Ted is, and always was an unreliable narrator. The final season, especially the last episode makes it really clear how guilty Ted feels for falling for Robin again. He's spent the whole show trying to show his kids how perfect they are for each other, but simultaneously making it crystal clear to them that he was over her when he met their mother. It would have been unforgivable for him to have implied that he had feelings for Robin during his relationship with their mother, but for him to fall back in love with the woman that he couldn't escape for the 8 main years of the show makes perfect sense. In most shows implying that Ted lied would be a cheap gimmick, but there is so much precedent here for it. He lies to his kids outright, omits chunks of stories, and mixes up plots because he can't really remember how it happened. Viewing the whole show whilst keeping his bias in mind makes this fit quite well.

Exactly. They didn't even seem the least bit upset when Ted spoke about her death. If she died when they were babies I could get that but they were old enough to have known their mother so a deep sigh or something would have been appreciated. But no they were just REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ROBIN YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Whilst they were a bit blase about talking about their mothers death, the writers put in nods towards why they would be so excited. Think about it, both of them have probably known that their father wanted to get back with Robin before he did, Ted has always been a bit oblivious to his feelings and transparent to others.

I, for one, would have been incredibly disappointed if it had.

All that being said, I did still have one problem with the finale.

Lily didn't pay Marshal the five bucks they bet.

No way that works. The whole show was supposed to be how he met the mother. They should have stopped there rather than go the other way.

Seriously, it was called-How I met your Mother, not How I met your mother, she dies and I went after your aunt Robin. The entire time he called her Aunt Robin. I mean what was the point of the entire last season-dragging on Robin's and Barney wedding. Hyping it so much-the ring bear, the skiing area etc. 

The whole point was the mother. They had hyped her for years. And this. Just so that Marshall wins his bet. No way. They made the mother(I should stop calling her that-Tracy Mosby) the second fiddle.

And they say that-this ending was planned for years, the awesome ending that only Josh Radnor, and the creators knew about. If so, I'm disappointed. Not for the really great episodes the show gave but at the last scene. The should've ended when he told the kids that he was thankful to God that he spoke to her. That would have made it beautiful with Ted being sad and everything. 

Archived