DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whatcha Reading now?

U4ea

While I am still trying to get through my WoT re-read, teaching 7th-9th grade English has derailed me to 'reading whatever I will be teaching next.' So this week I've been reading The Odyssey, Rikki-tikki-tavi, and "The Wise Old Woman" (A Japanese folk tale in translation). And tonight I reread the short story "Flowers for Algernon." 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't "Flowers for Algernon" a book? Isn't it also called "Charley?"

I'm going to start Cloud Atlas today.

Flowers for Algernon was a short story originally and then it was expanded into a full length novel.  Charly is a film adaption that's based off the short story.  It's a great story, don't know if you've read it, but if you get the chance I would highly recommend reading it.

Flowers for Algernon was a short story originally and then it was expanded into a full length novel.  Charly is a film adaption that's based off the short story.  It's a great story, don't know if you've read it, but if you get the chance I would highly recommend reading it.

Yup! I am just having my 8th graders read the short story. I was thrilled to find it in the textbook. The ones who have bothered to 'do' the reading are actually really into the story. :smile: 

Isn't "Flowers for Algernon" a book? Isn't it also called "Charley?"

I'm going to start Cloud Atlas today.

Flowers for Algernon was a short story originally and then it was expanded into a full length novel. Charly is a film adaption that's based off the short story. It's a great story, don't know if you've read it, but if you get the chance I would highly recommend reading it.

Oh, I've both read it and saw the film. I work with people who have intellectual disabilities.

Just started Cloud Atlas today. Lol couldn't get around to it before.

I can't stand audio books, honestly. I've tried them a few times and they just annoy me.:-(

So, I'm being through Soon of Neptune at school and working on The Hunter at home. It's not the best book on the planet, but the idea is intriguing. I'm hoping it picks up here pretty soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished A Knights own Book of Chivalry by Geoffrey de Charny and Mouse Guard: The Black Axe

Next up: Formal Combats in the Fourteenth Century by Steven Muhlberger and after that perhaps The Doctor and the Rough Rider by Mike Resnick

Kynwric - Ah! What did you think of Charny?

I read him when I was working on my Master's thesis (An analysis of fealty in the middle ages, the roles of kings, knights, squires, and how Tolkien made use of fealty in the Lord of the Rings). 

Current readings (still so I can write assignments for them for my students): "The Fenris Wolf" "Beowulf" (My freshman had slightly blown minds with the alliterative poetry, even in translation :wink: ), an excerpt from a book about Harriet Tubman, and just another whole slew of short stories and a couple of poems. So much stuff! I want to read something for myself. Hoping to eventually get enough ahead to have time! At least the stuff in my text books is enjoyable to read. Honestly best selection I've gotten to teach from yet. OH! "The Smallest Dragonboy" by Anne McCaffrey! I got to teach that to 7th Graders! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got to read Mercedes Lackey's "Bastion" (about a week after it came out. It stared at me from my desk until I finished grading stuff). 

Now I am working on slowly getting through the first Percy Jackson book. (I call this 'research' given my students all adore the series. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

"The Unfettered Mind" translated by William Scott Wilson.  This is a set of three letters written by Takuan Soho, a Rinzai Zen... guy.  I'm not going to pretend I understand Zen Buddhism or feudal Japan, so this is an interesting read for me.  I've been interested in material that deals with the internal aspects of fighting (I'm hesitant to use the word "spiritual" though I'm sure you can find plenty of people in the martial arts community who are more than willing.)  There's a bit to digest and Wilson's notes do not treat Westerners kindly, so I dunno.  I might try another translation.  Had also read Yagyu Munenori's "The Life-Giving Sword" - much better material, I think.  Soho and Munenori had corresponded, so there is a bit of overlap in the two texts.

Archived