DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMoL ebook corrections

sleepinghour

As a follow-up to the errata thread, here's a tentative list of corrections (save typos) made in the ebook edition. Please let me know of any changes I've missed; I'll continue to update this list as I find new ones.

Page 100:
“Well?” he asked. “Where does he live?
“Back in Kandor.”
Ebook:
“Well?” he asked. “Where?”
“Back in Kandor.”

Pevara's uncle is dead and doesn't "live" in Kandor anymore.

Page 163:
“I’m going to kill him, Egwene.”
“Who? Moridin?”
Ebook:
“I’m going to kill him, Egwene.”
“Who?”

Egwene shouldn't know who Moridin is.

Page 230: Birgitte reached beneath her shirt and removed the foxhead medallion she wore, one of the three imperfect copies Elayne had made. Mat had the original and a copy. Mellar had escaped with the other copy.
Ebook: Birgitte reached beneath her shirt and removed the rose medallion she wore. It worked as the imperfect foxhead copies had. Mat had the original foxhead and two copies; Mellar had escaped with another copy.

Page 309: “Is it Power-forged?”
I don’t know,” Rand said.
Ebook: “Is it Power-forged?”
I believe it to be,” Rand said.

Page 314: The bloody foxes had told him he would.
Ebook: The bloody snakes had told him he would.

Page 485:Light, Nomesta’s not even an officer!” Still, he’d been training heavy cavalry for years, and there probably wasn’t a better man in the saddle than him.
Ebook:Thank the Light! Nomesta’s a good officer!” He’d been training heavy cavalry for years, and there probably wasn’t a better man in the saddle than him.

Page 610: Egwene waved a few fingers, sending the other women off, except her two shadows—Gawyn and that Seanchan woman—who remained with her.
Ebook: Egwene waved a few fingers, sending the other women off, except her two shadows—Gawyn and Leilwin, of all people—who remained with her.

As Terez pointed out, Mat knows Egeanin better than to refer to her as "that Seanchan woman."

Page 622: He waved to a chair, bearing the red and gold of Andor, at the side of the room.
Ebook: He waved to a chair, bearing the red and white of Andor, at the side of the room.

Page 681: “You know it is the right thing to do,” Silviana said. “If he dies, it could destroy you. Let me have his bond. It will let me find him, and it will protect you, should he die.”
Egwene was aghast. How dare Silviana even suggest this? But, then, she was a Red—and they concerned themselves little with Warders. Silviana did not know what she was asking.
Ebook: “You know it is the right thing to do,” Silviana said. “If he dies, it could destroy you. Let me have his bond. It will let me find him, and it will protect you, should he die.”
Egwene looked at her as if she had professed allegiance to the Dark One. Perhaps she shouldn’t have asked; being Red, she knew little of Warders. Sisters could be foolish about them.

Original scene switched to Egwene's POV despite it being Silviana's.

Page 712: Or was Galgan telegraphing his emotions purposefully?
Ebook: Or was Galgan showing off his emotions purposefully?

Page 731: “Teslyn!” he cried. “What are you doing here?”
“Fighting in the Last Battle, I believe,” she said, dusting off her hands. “Aren’t we all?”
“But the Dragonsworn?” Mat asked.
“I did not find the White Tower to be a comfortable place once I returned,” she said. “It had changed. I availed myself of the opportunity here, as this need superseded any others.
Ebook: “Teslyn!” he cried. “What are you doing here?”
“Fighting in the Last Battle, I do believe,” she said, dusting off her hands. “Don’t we all be?”
“But the Dragonsworn?” Mat asked.
“I did not find the White Tower to be a comfortable place once I did return,” she said. “It do be changed. I did avail myself of the opportunity here, as this need do be greater.

Teslyn sounds more like an Illianer now.

Page 753: Her bundle concealed the sack with the Horn in it. She added, more to herself, “Light. How are we going to reach Mat?”
Ebook: Her bundle concealed the sack with the Horn in it. She added, almost whispering, “Light. How are we going to reach Mat?”

Another sudden POV switch from Olver to Faile.

Page 816: Mat hadn’t realized that Narishma was still there, fighting alongside the Borderlanders. The Kandori Asha’man threw himself off his horse and took Lan by the other arm, then concentrated.
Ebook: Mat hadn’t realized that Narishma was still there, fighting alongside the Borderlanders. Mat quickly removed the foxhead as the Arafellin Asha’man threw himself off his horse and took Lan by the arm, then concentrated.

Narishma's nationality and ability to Heal Lan while he was still wearing the medallion were corrected.

Page 825: She kept the sword raised high, shouting, and—after a moment of indecision—created a weave that made a majestic banner of Andor float in the air above her, the red lion to light the night.
Ebook: She kept the sword raised high, shouting, and—after a moment of indecision—created a weave that made a majestic banner of Andor float in the air above her, the White Lion to light the night.

Things that were not corrected:
* Bayrd and the spearhead.
* Possible First Oath contradiction: “He cannot hear what we say?” “No,” Pevara said. (p. 131)
* “Make for the Erinin? There’s no bridge this far north,” Talmanes said. (p. 275)
* “I don’t know if they’ll listen to me, Perrin,” Tam said. “I’m just a common farmer.” (p. 277)
* "Selucia could teach sandpaper a thing or two about being rough." (p. 302)
* Min and Mat are still more familiar with each other than they should be. (p. 490-491)
* Laras shouldn't know Mat either. (p. 568)
* Gabrelle not being immediately compelled to follow Logain's orders. (p. 772)
* Taim resists Egwene's shield "by force of will." (p. 774)

* No explanation why Nynaeve couldn't use her Well to Heal Alanna or why she didn't see any weaves when Alanna released the bond.

Talking to Fortunana Egwene said she held her sisters captive. Shouldn't she call them her daughters?

That wasn't changed in the ebook. Since Egwene is both Amyrlin and Aes Sedai, I think "sisters" works too, particularly when speaking to foreigners like Tuon who may not be familiar with Tower terminology.

This is great!  Thanks very much for posting.  I have a couple of follow-up questions:

• Does anyone know where I could find a similar list of corrections for The Gathering Storm or Towers of Midnight?
  • Does anyone know if corrections like this normally find their way into later printings of the hardcover books?  For example, if I buy a brand-new hardcover of one of the older Wheel of Time books today, would it contain all of the corrections that went into the paperback and/or e-book versions?

* Possible First Oath contradiction: “He cannot hear what we say?” “No,” Pevara said. (p. 131)

Not a contradiction for native English speakers.

I thought he bonded without the extra bit

* No explanation why Nynaeve couldn't use her Well to Heal Alanna or why she didn't see any weaves when Alanna released the bond.

Nynaeve was being used like a well herself

sleepinghour,

what's wrong with tam saying that he is just a common farmer?

he had some military experience in the past,but he is still a farmer.

Here is the relevant Theoryland post. I have been checking most questions raised by Theoryland's and DM's errata threads. So if you have any questions/objections, take it up with the original poster. :wink:

Not a contradiction for native English speakers.

I thought he bonded without the extra bit

Nynaeve was being used like a well herself

Gabrelle was bonded with the extra bit. We even saw Toveine experience the compulsion onscreen right after Logain bonded her.

Nynaeve not using her Well was one of my own complaints. RJ said a channeler can channel through the Well even when shielded, so it seems likely for her to be able to use it when linked. At the very least it's a possibility that should have been addressed in her POV. Overall, I feel her ter'angreal jewelry set was a huge waste of potential. In WH, she said one of her ter'angreal "can cover me with armor better than any steel. I'd hardly even feel a sword hitting me." It doesn't make sense for her not to use any pieces aside from the angreal.

@sleepinghour,

back to tam.

"so if you have any questions/objections,take it up with the original poster."

hahaha,i don't have any objections at all,in my opinion tam was not reacting

like a wimp(ok,maybe a little)it felt more like a half hearted attempt to wriggle

out of the overall command perrin bestowed upon him.

in the stone of tear tam did tell rand to stop whining about destiny and duty,

when rand protested that he was not whining,tam said:

"i know,kings don't whine,they deliberate."

in a memory of light,tam gets a taste of his own medicine. lol.

Nynaeve was in a circle. She could not access the power anymore than a well could access it just sitting on a desk unaided.

This seems right to me, Nynaeve isn't shielded, she's in a circle. Aside from the Androl/Pevara weirdness, we don't know of any possibility of someone not leading a circle being able to channel by themselves in any way.  The source they are pulling from is irrelevant (in fact if it weren't, Moridin should have been able to reach for the TP independently of the OP via Calandor and fry the two women in a heartbeat), whatever 'muscles' are being used to embrace the source are dedicated to the circle, and remain so until released by the leader.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great!  Thanks very much for posting.  I have a couple of follow-up questions:

• Does anyone know where I could find a similar list of corrections for The Gathering Storm or Towers of Midnight?
  • Does anyone know if corrections like this normally find their way into later printings of the hardcover books?  For example, if I buy a brand-new hardcover of one of the older Wheel of Time books today, would it contain all of the corrections that went into the paperback and/or e-book versions?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?  I am especially interested in the answer to the second question.  I have asked it before in other places, and have never gotten an answer.  If anyone knows the answer, I would very much appreciate the information.

Nothing about Taim able to channel the True Power while shielded and that whole TP shield-leeching stuff? 

(RJ has said that a shield prevents using the TP as well as the OP for those who don't know) 

I think a TP shield is different than a OP shield; from what i understand, one can only be shielded from the TP by someone who can channel the TP

INTERVIEW: Jul 19th, 2005

WEEK 8 QUESTION
When a person that can channel is shielded, where is the shield placed? Is it placed around the whole body of the person or around the head of the channeler where they sense saidin/saidar? If you are shielded from the One Power, are you also shielded from the True Power? What happens if someone in a circle is shielded? Can a Warder feel that his Aes Sedai is shielded?

ROBERT JORDAN
A shield exists both as a barrier around the entire person and as a single point along with everything in between. (In a way, this is like the Bore, which does not actually exist as Shayol Ghul. The Bore exists everywhere, but Shayol Ghul is the place where it can best be detected. Which is not to say that there is any connection between the Bore and a shield. Both simply exist in different states simultaneously.) Someone who is shielded and trying to get past the shield can "feel" their way along its inner "surface" hunting for weaknesses, such as the points that indicate where the shield is being maintained or has been tied off. Shielding against the One Power will indeed stop someone from reaching for the True Power. It isn't possible to shield one person out of a circle since, in effect, the circle has become a single person for the purpose of channeling. You would have to shield the entire circle, which would require either a circle of your own or a pretty hefty sa'angreal. A Warder cannot feel that his Aes Sedai has been shielded, though he would be aware of any agitation on her part. But this would tell him no more than that she was agitated.

Nothing to suggest one needs to have access to the TP for the shield to work. 

INTERVIEW: Jul 19th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part III (Verbatim)

WEEK 8 QUESTION

When a person that can channel is shielded, where is the shield placed? Is it placed around the whole body of the person or around the head of the channeler where they sense saidin/saidar? If you are shielded from the One Power, are you also shielded from the True Power? What happens if someone in a circle is shielded? Can a Warder feel that his Aes Sedai is shielded?

ROBERT JORDAN

A shield exists both as a barrier around the entire person and as a single point along with everything in between. (In a way, this is like the Bore, which does not actually exist as Shayol Ghul. The Bore exists everywhere, but Shayol Ghul is the place where it can best be detected. Which is not to say that there is any connection between the Bore and a shield. Both simply exist in different states simultaneously.) Someone who is shielded and trying to get past the shield can "feel" their way along its inner "surface" hunting for weaknesses, such as the points that indicate where the shield is being maintained or has been tied off. Shielding against the One Power will indeed stop someone from reaching for the True Power. It isn't possible to shield one person out of a circle since, in effect, the circle has become a single person for the purpose of channeling. You would have to shield the entire circle, which would require either a circle of your own or a pretty hefty sa'angreal. A Warder cannot feel that his Aes Sedai has been shielded, though he would be aware of any agitation on her part. But this would tell him no more than that she was agitated.

Nothing to suggest one needs to have access to the TP for the shield to work.

my thought was based on the domination band, when semhirage tried to take control of rand, she prevented him from channeling saidin, but he could still grab the TP.

I wonder if that was ever discussed by Team Jordan?

The Domination Band isn't a Shield. It is a forced circle, kinda like Callandor was for Moridin. It doesn't cut off access to either source. It only makes it so the person cannot seize Saidin without the holders permission. 

As it was most likely a creation post-Sealing, the TP wouldn't have been included, or Semirhage didn't have time to register the threat and prevent Rand from doing it. 

Either way, it's different from a Shield, and their mechanics are not connected. They are more akin to a circle. 

Yes, the hardcover you buy should have all of these corrections, unless it happens to be an older printing that just sat on the shelf for years and years. (Though the chances of that are unlikely)

Does anyone know where I could find a similar list of corrections for The Gathering Storm or Towers of Midnight?

Encyclopaedia WoT lists the ones between TEoTW and KoD (under "Errata and Corrigenda").

Luckers posted some ToM corrections here (which he apparently got directly from Team Jordan), but they only cover the dream ter'angreal errors and don't include other corrections in the book. If some fans have received or personally made more complete lists, I haven't seen them posted anywhere.

Archived