DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A petition to Tor regarding AMOL and ebooks

michellem

Hello, I know I'm not the only one who's frustrated by the fact that AMOL doesn't come on ebook until April. My husband made a petition to send to Tor about this subject. I'd appreciate if as many of you as possible would sign this :) And if you do, please leave the comments respectful (and AMOL-spoiler free!)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tor-ebook/

I understand it is Harriet's call, not TORs. And from what I've read it's more of a misunderstanding that e-book sales take away from hardback sales. I think she is trying to protect RJs legacy and has been in the publishing business a long time. I believe she even relented and allowed April as the e-book publishing date, she wanted it later. It's a different worldview and priority. But I don't think it's TOR.

I signed it. Regardless of it being Harriett's decision, the effect is actually the opposite of what she intended. She wanted to protect Jim's legacy. Well, all the negative ratings are destroying that legacy. If they don't relent soon, the overall rating for AMoL might even go to 1.5 stars, and that would do more damage to his legacy than anything else. 

I signed it. Regardless of it being Harriett's decision, the effect is actually the opposite of what she intended. She wanted to protect Jim's legacy. Well, all the negative ratings are destroying that legacy. If they don't relent soon, the overall rating for AMoL might even go to 1.5 stars, and that would do more damage to his legacy than anything else. 

That is a vey good point. I was just trying to point out that the issue may be with Harriet, rather than TOR. And the solution may be more complicated ...

I agree with the spirit, I prefer e-books ... But it may be a generational thing.

Thank you, I did this as a reaction to all the non-respectful ways people deal with this.

And yes, this might be Harriets decision, but the right way to go is through Tor; we can tell them, and then they can tell her :) It's the polite and correct way to do it I think!

Thank you, I did this as a reaction to all the non-respectful ways people deal with this.

And yes, this might be Harriets decision, but the right way to go is through Tor; we can tell them, and then they can tell her :) It's the polite and correct way to do it I think!

Perhaps I am naive ... Are people being disrespectful about this?

Wow! So many things in this world and people get bent out of shape over the smallest things. I am frustrated as well, but at the end of the day, it's not worth being ugly. Your petition is very respectful. :)

I will sign.

Yeeeeeah.... There's a thread in the main discussion forum, called "Late ebook release WTF" or something about that, and if you look here and here there's quite a lot of disrespect going on... I mean, people rate the actual book with ONE star, only to complain about late e-book! And then people download the pirated version to "make a point" to Tor... And that is so wrong.

Wait, you really think an amazon rating has anything to do with RJ's legacy? Nobody cares what amazons trolls think.

Harriet made the decision, and I respeect her for it. Besides, theres something more magical about a new book than an E-book. Of course, I bought the signed leatherbound version, the regular hardcover, and will complete my e-book collection as well. So I am not who this thread is aimed at.

No, probably not. This thread is for those who have small apartments and don't have space for physical books, or who's trying to be eniromentally friendly and not buy physical books, or travel a lot and want to have books with them without taking up half the suitcase, or those who live in places where fantasy books in english are hard or impossible to get ahold of, or those who can't afford physical copies, or the dozens other reasons why people want ebooks.

I'm not an e-book reader, but I believe it is very unfair to those that are to have to wait to read the final book. As soon as I get on my computer I will sign this petition. I hope it helps those of you waiting for the e-book to get it sooner.

I cannot believe some of those comments! What got me to become involved on DM was the home page feature story on the Memory Keeper Announcements. I couldn't believe the vitriol. I signed up, precisely so I could comment. My main feelings are still the same ... If you're going to get that pissed over something like this and allow it to color your interaction and review of the book ... You're not much of a fan.

Misheru, I applaud you and your husband's way of going about this. I signed and I hope it gets presented to Harriet and we get the e-book sooner. :)

I don't think we'll get the ebook anytime sooner, but hopefully it might make Tor reconsider in the future, for their other books :) And that's worth something!

But thats the thing people don't seem to be able to grasp. This is not a Tor decision. Harriet owns the Wheel of Time. It was totally up to her. Sending a petition to Tor is senseless.

Wait, you really think an amazon rating has anything to do with RJ's legacy? Nobody cares what amazons trolls think.

Harriet made the decision, and I respeect her for it. Besides, theres something more magical about a new book than an E-book. Of course, I bought the signed leatherbound version, the regular hardcover, and will complete my e-book collection as well. So I am not who this thread is aimed at.

Yes it does. People are rating the book low and they haven't even read it. There are many people at Amazon who look at ratings before purchasing the book.

I'm older and I concur that books in the hand are magical.

Tor can advise Harriet of the petition and dissatisfaction of the ebook crowd.

I don't think we'll get the ebook anytime sooner, but hopefully it might make Tor reconsider in the future, for their other books :) And that's worth something!

But thats the thing people don't seem to be able to grasp. This is not a Tor decision. Harriet owns the Wheel of Time. It was totally up to her. Sending a petition to Tor is senseless.

Tor is the publisher, and petitions like this should always be sent to the publisher, and if they find it serious enough, they will talk to the owner of the rights about it. That's the right way to do it.

Tor is the publisher, and petitions like this should always be sent to the publisher, and if they find it serious enough, they will talk to the owner of the rights about it. That's the right way to do it.

I think this is the correct way too.

Archived