DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battles (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

Actually no it isnt in a trollocs nature to fight, its in its nature to slaughter, they are base cowards and opportunists who run away from a challenge if they are not forced by fades.  

As for the wards, your probably right but it would have been more fitting with how the other 13 books had gone than. "I have a great plan, we shall wait for those cowardly mongrols to attack us, dont worry it wont take long, they have no food in Caemlyn... oh what you say? they will eat our friends/family/neighbours? oh no dont be daft trollocs are vegetarians... they will attack us before the night is done."

Its like reading a different series with the names of a few people we've seen in other books. Honestly the battles seem like out of the Stormlight Archive. The difference is that in The Way of Kings, the armies are fighting the wars as a sport and competition, not to win the war, which explains why they fight so stupidly. You dont expect that from people who know they are fighting for the lives of every human alive.

It's in their nature to fight until they realise they can't win, even if it was the case they didn't look for fights without fades, there are still fades there to drive them. 

And how many people do you think the trollocs had to feed on? Probably close to a hundred thousand if you discount those who escape/died in fires. That's not enough to get them to turn down a fight they think they can win without fades pressuring them to stay put. The trollocs behaved unusually because the Shadow made them, you could argue the light should have seen this earlier and changed the plan, but that's a tactical mistake and the Light had enough reasons to make those by that point. 

Caemlyn had around 300k pemenant inhabitants or close, add in atleast a 200% growth of refugees if not more, Caemlyn was the only place in Andor getting food so a 1mil population is not out of the realm of possibility, Suttree could probably give an accurate count. If they got half of those out before the Trollocs started sealing the exists then they would have been lucky. Then you have the ones which Talmanes got out, thats probably another 100k if you believe in wishful thinking.

No sorry just dont buy them not leaving a good 200k dead or still alive hiding under their beds, the trollocs were intentionally leaving people alive to make the forces of light come into Caemlyn after them.

As for the Trollocs, in almost every scene we see of them in aMoL they are being driven by fades because they're cowards. None of them want to be the first to die, and in their minds why attack the army infront of them when they can swan off into the country side and eat some farmers. They dont give a damn about fighting, they care about eating and killing. The Fades held them together but even if they didnt, they wouldnt have been charging off into an army between 200-400k large. they would have split into a hundred small groups.

Sorry the entire Caemlyn front was a terrible plot hole, ignored the lore of the series as a whole (how they got so many through the waygate) it simply served to explain why part of the lights forces couldnt do anything productive whilst the lights most useful troops(those that were in the book) were decimated... i.e the borderlanders, the aes sedai.

I would have been more understanding if they had sent 50k, destroyed caemlyn to demoralise the light and to give warning that other attacks might occur at the home cities of other rulers and had them pull back large chunks of their forces. At least that would actually be fitting with the series as a whole. There is absolutely no way based on 13 books worth of information that Machin Shin would have let millions of trollocs through the waygate and there were no portal stones nearby. so machin shin was ignored and sensible options went out the window with the Aiel, the Seanchan, the Great Captains... (Why didnt Elayne give them a Foxhead....)

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel that gateways killed the battles in these books.

When you can just dump lava on an army.  When you can sit inside a mountain and use gateways to fire out.  When you can use them to view the battle and instantly know what's happening.  When shadowspawn can't cross them.  When you can create gateways to sever a man's heart.  When you can move entire armies instantly anywhere.   They're just TOO powerful.

Heh, some of these are aspects of modern warfare, which I think is part of the point.

Yeah I got that.  Maybe it's more realistic (hell I was like "Dragons inside the mountain and shooting out!  THAT is smart")...but it still felt very cheap.  Like...why didn't we think of this back when we discovered gateways?   

*shrug*

And i'm not sure but i got the impression that the second host of Trollocs in Cairhain also came out of Caemlyn.. they just split their armies on the march. Thats my point- as far as the Light knew the supply of trollocs was practically infinite and could be swarming out of that waygate indefinitely.

As far as the light knew up till this alternate world variant of RandLand that aMoL takes place in, knew that the Black Wind would have eaten them, that or they would have asked the Ogier to fetch their waygate growing tool, gateway in with a large force, seal it up and then get out of there again. or atleast gate in and close it after the trollocs had left Caemlyn

Actually no it isnt in a trollocs nature to fight, its in its nature to slaughter, they are base cowards and opportunists who run away from a challenge if they are not forced by fades.  

As for the wards, your probably right but it would have been more fitting with how the other 13 books had gone than. "I have a great plan, we shall wait for those cowardly mongrols to attack us, dont worry it wont take long, they have no food in Caemlyn... oh what you say? they will eat our friends/family/neighbours? oh no dont be daft trollocs are vegetarians... they will attack us before the night is done."

Its like reading a different series with the names of a few people we've seen in other books. Honestly the battles seem like out of the Stormlight Archive. The difference is that in The Way of Kings, the armies are fighting the wars as a sport and competition, not to win the war, which explains why they fight so stupidly. You dont expect that from people who know they are fighting for the lives of every human alive.

It's in their nature to fight until they realise they can't win, even if it was the case they didn't look for fights without fades, there are still fades there to drive them. 

And how many people do you think the trollocs had to feed on? Probably close to a hundred thousand if you discount those who escape/died in fires. That's not enough to get them to turn down a fight they think they can win without fades pressuring them to stay put. The trollocs behaved unusually because the Shadow made them, you could argue the light should have seen this earlier and changed the plan, but that's a tactical mistake and the Light had enough reasons to make those by that point. 

Caemlyn had around 300k pemenant inhabitants or close, add in atleast a 200% growth of refugees if not more, Caemlyn was the only place in Andor getting food so a 1mil population is not out of the realm of possibility, Suttree could probably give an accurate count. If they got half of those out before the Trollocs started sealing the exists then they would have been lucky. Then you have the ones which Talmanes got out, thats probably another 100k if you believe in wishful thinking.

No sorry just dont buy them not leaving a good 200k dead or still alive hiding under their beds, the trollocs were intentionally leaving people alive to make the forces of light come into Caemlyn after them.

As for the Trollocs, in almost every scene we see of them in aMoL they are being driven by fades because they're cowards. None of them want to be the first to die, and in their minds why attack the army infront of them when they can swan off into the country side and eat some farmers. They dont give a damn about fighting, they care about eating and killing. The Fades held them together but even if they didnt, they wouldnt have been charging off into an army between 200-400k large. they would have split into a hundred small groups.

Sorry the entire Caemlyn front was a terrible plot hole, ignored the lore of the series as a whole (how they got so many through the waygate) it simply served to explain why part of the lights forces couldnt do anything productive whilst the lights most useful troops(those that were in the book) were decimated... i.e the borderlanders, the aes sedai.

I would have been more understanding if they had sent 50k, destroyed caemlyn to demoralise the light and to give warning that other attacks might occur at the home cities of other rulers and had them pull back large chunks of their forces. At least that would actually be fitting with the series as a whole. There is absolutely no way based on 13 books worth of information that Machin Shin would have let millions of trollocs through the waygate and there were no portal stones nearby. so machin shin was ignored and sensible options went out the window with the Aiel, the Seanchan, the Great Captains... (Why didnt Elayne give them a Foxhead....)

I'm not saying there weren't plenty of questionable things around Caemlyn, but you may be taking it a little too far.

Also, they weren't expecting trollocs to charge a few hundred thousand troops. They expected them to charge after a small group attempting to harass them.

Why didn't they just link to Androl and have him drop a wall of lava on Demandred and his main peeps on the heights?   Why not open a gateway into a trolloc charge that brings the ocean into them?   Why not just setup a long ass gateway in the Gap/SG pass so no Shadowspawn can assualt you?

I'm with you on this. One of the things that bothered me about the battles in the book was the lack of creativity by both the light and the dark. I would think that Gateways would make traditional battle obsolete, Why mount charges when you can instantly flank your enemies? etc.

For me the worst offense was the failure of the light to use its unchallenged air superiority. They had Rakens etc. from the Seanchan as well as the horizontal gateways, and, with only a couple of exceptions, never rained death from above. Consider from a tactical standpoint:

Your channelers are probably your single most powerful weapon and they are nonrenewable. They must be protected. Solution? Lines of small arrrow slit type horizontal "invisible" Gateways above the batlefield. Down come fireballs, windstorms or whatever. The shadow responds by targeting through the Gateway, but they only have a small window to "shoot" through. Channeler steps out of the way and returns to business when the attack ends. Also if you place all of these in Mayenne, you can rotate channelers more easily, thus minimizing the exhaustion factor.

I was also flummoxed by Demandred's annoyance that these type of Gateways hadn't been considered during the Age of Legends. If people lacked creativity to THAT extent how legendary could the age have been?

I'm not saying there weren't plenty of questionable things around Caemlyn, but you may be taking it a little too far.

Also, they weren't expecting trollocs to charge a few hundred thousand troops. They expected them to charge after a small group attempting to harass them.

Perhaps your right, you probably are, but this didnt really feel like it was written in the same world the other books take place in. Overall I liked the book. But its a bit like waiting all day for Steak and then someone hands you a beef sandwich. Yeah its nice and fills the void, but it wasnt the steak I was promised. Thats sort of how I feel about the book as a whole. I enjoyed it but it wasnt very Wheel of Time'ish. It didnt follow the same world rules as the other 13. and anything which was inconvinient because it made the premise of the overall flow of how the battle was written on paper was ignored. To me that is wrong, better to leave it unsaid so we dont actually know that someone forgot to tick several things off the box when they were remembering what needs to be in the book. Its not all Brandon either in many respects, his writing wasnt the problem, but his style fits in with well detailed and pre-planned/explained scenario's.

That doesnt work with the Wheel of Time, not unless you cross every T and dot every I. And that quite frankly was not done. The editors failed to pick up on it.

And i'm not sure but i got the impression that the second host of Trollocs in Cairhain also came out of Caemlyn.. they just split their armies on the march. Thats my point- as far as the Light knew the supply of trollocs was practically infinite and could be swarming out of that waygate indefinitely.

As far as the light knew up till this alternate world variant of RandLand that aMoL takes place in, knew that the Black Wind would have eaten them, that or they would have asked the Ogier to fetch their waygate growing tool, gateway in with a large force, seal it up and then get out of there again. or atleast gate in and close it after the trollocs had left Caemlyn

Well, over a hundred thousand trollocs already attacked Rand and his allies at the manor house, so they had to know it was a possibility (and otherwise why bother warding all the waygates). I think theres a very strong chance the Black Wind had been neutralized somehow, or I agree, these armies never would have made it in these numbers. My pet theory is that Machin Shin continues to follow Rand around to whatever waygate he's closest too, making it a much smaller danger than if it roamed freely.

Same as some of you, am I dissapointed by the lack of really good strategies in some of the battle moments, and even more by the lack of realistic numbers of Light's forces, which we were given in the prevous books.

We didn't get a lot from The Band of the Red Hand in this book, as they are supposedly the best military unit in the Light's forces, only championed by Aiel. 

My biggest dissapointment is that they managed to figure out to use gates to Dragonmount and bring lava to slow the trollocs, but no one thought out the strategy to use the same traveling gates to bring ocean water on trollocs, instead of lava. They are said to hate water, it would drown a lot of them and it would make the others fearful when they approach the fight. Mat had the high ground, he could used gates to bring ocean water without fear that it may turn against him.

Someone here suggest to get the Channelers to oliberate Caemlyn - you never want to that it will lose morale and would you like to basically destroy your know Town - if something is lost you can take it back, if something is burned then you can rebuild and regrow....but once people morale has gone then they lose hope and won't know what they are fighting for.

You know what really hurts morale? Losing the Last Battle. Oh, and also loosing an army of trollocs on half of Andor and Caemlyn. I don't think there's a soldier alive that would prefer to keep a city infested with trollocs intact in exchange for their lives and tens of thousands of their comrades. Nuke the waygate, go fight somewhere else... say perhaps saving Lan's army from destruction. Might even have saved Fal Dara and Fal Moran. How was that on morale btw?

The way you win a battle is more important than winning a battle - why do you think every army in the world and through out history was to protect there homeland..yes it would be easy for them "nuke it" and move on...but Caemlyn is a symbol to the people...they would fight as much if they lost their morale and they definitely would lose the Last Battle anyway. Think as a solider you just see your home, your future, your life and family destoryed would you really like to move on at full energy and help another nations homeland, as a solider you would be saddened and depressed and lost hope....Plus that would resort to the Dark Ones tactics and that is what they are opposing and Rand has tried to create.

Would there be guaranteed victory if they did "nuke" Caemlyn and helped Lan? Then you would have 2 corrupted General Captains leading an army (which would be harder to track and prove there mistakes) and I think the Dark one would then move his forces to counter this and been so close to the Blight etc easier... 

They split up into 4 because they thought Caemelyn could be won quickly and they could hold back the other two armies until then, thus limiting the damage.

Yes. And then they hatched a strategy that would ensure Caemlyn could not be won quickly. That made no sense to me, even if Bashere was already compromised. Nobody raised the point that waiting a week for the trollocs to chase Perrin back to the Woods would allow several hundred thousand additional trollocs to come through the way gate? And that in the meantime the bulk of the light forces would be standing idle?

Pretty sure they were under the impression the trollocs would be hungry and itching for a fight. If the trollocs charge out immediately then it's a decent enough plan. Levelling the city would have been the ideal choice but levelling Caemelyn is easier said than done, even with dragons and channeller it's still a massive job. I would have started to destroy the city if I could get the dragons close enough without the trollocs being able to catch them as a way of drawing them out but drawing them out and destroying them was the best way. 

Several hundred thousand humans had been killed in Caemlyn. The trollocs there were probably the least hungry in the world. Not to mention the people still trapped inside...

They could have warded the city like Rand did the waygates, invert weaves on all the exits and the trollocs would die shortly after leaving. it would have hurt them more than just sitting and waiting for them to come after them. Hell use a full circle and ward the entire city so that all shadowspawn inside die and the job is done. But that would mean that trollocs/fades arent as strong as they have been since erm book 1 when they were actually dangerous...

Trollocs are always hungry and looking for a fight! It's in their nature. 

The second bit is easier said than done and I can guarantee if Rand had done that people would have gone MENTAL on here. I'm guessing you can't just ward every entrance to a city like Caemelyn.  

Caemlyn only had five gates. 

1. Sunrise Gate
  2. Far Madding Gate
  3. Mondel Gate
  4. Whitebridge Gate
  5. Tar Valon Gate

They oiled much of the city (using Gateways to Mayene for the oil, and then all over Caemlyn to oil-up basements), and set it ablaze to drive the Trollocs out. Would have made much more sense to ward the gates, or just open Gateways (Deathgates) across the entrances when the Shadowspawn fled in panic. 

For as much as their plan failed in the long run, the POINT of the whole thing was to destroy the Waygate, which was never done.

Total waste of, well, everything on their part, I'd say.

And speaking of the Waygate, and The Ways... Did Machin Shin decide to take the month off to go lighten-up in Disneyland? How did all those dambed Shadowspawn get through in the FIRST place???

The way you win a battle is more important than winning a battle - why do you think every army in the world and through out history was to protect there homeland..yes it would be easy for them "nuke it" and move on...but Caemlyn is a symbol to the people...they would fight as much if they lost their morale and they definitely would lose the Last Battle anyway. Think as a solider you just see your home, your future, your life and family destoryed would you really like to move on at full energy and help another nations homeland, as a solider you would be saddened and depressed and lost hope....Plus that would resort to the Dark Ones tactics and that is what they are opposing and Rand has tried to create.

Would there be guaranteed victory if they did "nuke" Caemlyn and helped Lan? Then you would have 2 corrupted General Captains leading an army (which would be harder to track and prove there mistakes) and I think the Dark one would then move his forces to counter this and been so close to the Blight etc easier... 

The way you win a battle is immaterial if losing it means the end of existence.

They split up into 4 because they thought Caemelyn could be won quickly and they could hold back the other two armies until then, thus limiting the damage.

Yes. And then they hatched a strategy that would ensure Caemlyn could not be won quickly. That made no sense to me, even if Bashere was already compromised. Nobody raised the point that waiting a week for the trollocs to chase Perrin back to the Woods would allow several hundred thousand additional trollocs to come through the way gate? And that in the meantime the bulk of the light forces would be standing idle?

Pretty sure they were under the impression the trollocs would be hungry and itching for a fight. If the trollocs charge out immediately then it's a decent enough plan. Levelling the city would have been the ideal choice but levelling Caemelyn is easier said than done, even with dragons and channeller it's still a massive job. I would have started to destroy the city if I could get the dragons close enough without the trollocs being able to catch them as a way of drawing them out but drawing them out and destroying them was the best way. 

Several hundred thousand humans had been killed in Caemlyn. The trollocs there were probably the least hungry in the world. Not to mention the people still trapped inside...

They could have warded the city like Rand did the waygates, invert weaves on all the exits and the trollocs would die shortly after leaving. it would have hurt them more than just sitting and waiting for them to come after them. Hell use a full circle and ward the entire city so that all shadowspawn inside die and the job is done. But that would mean that trollocs/fades arent as strong as they have been since erm book 1 when they were actually dangerous...

Trollocs are always hungry and looking for a fight! It's in their nature. 

The second bit is easier said than done and I can guarantee if Rand had done that people would have gone MENTAL on here. I'm guessing you can't just ward every entrance to a city like Caemelyn.  

Caemlyn only had five gates. 

1. Sunrise Gate
  2. Far Madding Gate
  3. Mondel Gate
  4. Whitebridge Gate
  5. Tar Valon Gate

They oiled much of the city (using Gateways to Mayene for the oil, and then all over Caemlyn to oil-up basements), and set it ablaze to drive the Trollocs out. Would have made much more sense to ward the gates, or just open Gateways (Deathgates) across the entrances when the Shadowspawn fled in panic. 

For as much as their plan failed in the long run, the POINT of the whole thing was to destroy the Waygate, which was never done.

Total waste of, well, everything on their part, I'd say.

And speaking of the Waygate, and The Ways... Did Machin Shin decide to take the month off to go lighten-up in Disneyland? How did all those dambed Shadowspawn get through in the FIRST place???

5 Massive gates well defended by trollocs and a massive hole in the city wall? So assuming they could get close enough 6 times and were able to ward 5 massive city gateways and a hole in the wall (they'd probably need Rand for this, bit of a risk for the Dragon Reborn but I'm willing to accept someone else could do it) they also need to make sure that the Dreadlords don't just move in after the Light's forces have gone and remove the wards or blast another hole in the wall, or that the trollocs don't just dig a 9 feet deep trench under the gate opening and walk out.

Not convinced of that plan to be honest... I'll be amazed if one of you can come up with a decent strategy to contain the trollocs in Caemlyn (or at least force them to use the waygate to leave).   

Edited by ddidiodion

haha it might have...I was wondering was it just so focused on Rand and did not care about anything else...I remember I discussion around 'after the Taint was cleansed what will happen to the Ways' - did anything came out from that disussion  

Ok, look. The Light has some powerful channelers, 'angreal, and circles

One bro in TSR glassed an entire city. I'm pretty sure the combined force of female channelers plus the Rand loyalist Ashaman could torch Caemlyn and all the guys in it in a few hours. Then you redeploy to the Northern fronts.

For the love of Christ, is everyone aware that Randland is at least as big as the US east of the Mississippi? Or even larger? We're talking hundreds, thousands of miles. If the Light had turned Caemlyn into a charnel house, they could have redeployed a few days later with rested channelers and stop the other two armies in their tracks

Edited by Mr. Micawber

Another question about battles. Why did the Sharans only use their gateways once and then seemingly forget about them(aside from the fact that they could have decimated the lights regular forces)?

I'm going to guess their battle plan was thought up by the mysterious. Male Sharan channelers which don't exist therefore have bad battle strategies.

Another question about battles. Why did the Sharans only use their gateways once and then seemingly forget about them(aside from the fact that they could have decimated the lights regular forces)?

I'm going to guess their battle plan was thought up by the mysterious. Male Sharan channelers which don't exist therefore have bad battle strategies.

:O

I love you

Only one thing would have been better than the Lava Gateway of Doom:

Demandred opening a gateway into space and using the vacuum to suck the armies of the Light into oblivion.

I was totally waiting for that one-upsmanship from Dem.

I mean, thing is, they actually did do something like this in TOM for everyone's favorite Dark Side congealing assassin

One bro in TSR glassed an entire city. I'm pretty sure the combined force of female channelers plus the Rand loyalist Ashaman could torch Caemlyn and all the guys in it in a few hours. Then you redeploy to the Northern fronts.

yep.  but it's Camelyn!  Who cares if every city in the North is burned to ashes....not the pretty one!  we like that one!

*rolls eyes*

100% exactly what they should have done.

Well done Vards old boy. Well done indeed.

:O

I love you

Seriously tho. It pisses me off and makes 0 sense. Forget discussing strategy and missing soldiers these guys DO NOT EXIST. They birder them all at 18. So wtf. Did Demandred time travel?!?!?!?

Lol @the space idea. Brilliant. But they have no concept of space. Ocean water would have ruined that earth also, but when you're fighting for survival of EXISTENCE some things can be forgiven.

Walking clear across two countries then figuring out it was a bad idea is amazing to me. No one thought that odd?!?!?

yep. but it's Camelyn! Who cares if every city in the North is burned to ashes....not the pretty one! we like that one!

*rolls eyes*

100% exactly what they should have done.

Is this where the church lady screams "OH WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN".

Lol. We're fighting for existence itself. Guess what? Eff morals. There's no "sadness" anymore at this point. Embrace death indeed