DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warders & Wolves

jedman67

Feel free to post a link if this was answered before:

What gives warders that 'deadly, wolf-like grace'? I always assumed that warders were simply the best swordsmen and the best fighters; that deadly grace of danger that can only be learned in experience. The bonding itself should not be able to do that; much like training to be Aes Sedai requires learning how, and when, to use the Power.

The bonding itself enhances already (presumably) finely-honed reflexes, gives him extra senses and boosts his stamina, endurance, etc. (much like the famed Blackcollars in "Blackcollar").

I think it comes from being at or near blademaster skill with the sword. Rand has a "near wolf-like deadly grace" as early as The Dragon Reborn, I think. Gawyn and Galad are described with it, too, I believe.

I think it comes from the forms they practice. Remember when Rand is going to meet Siuane in Fal Dara, and Lan snaps at him "Cat crosses the courtyard", which is an arrogant, smooth walk? I am sure that practicing this, and other walking/moving forms will give you a "deadly grace". Most swordsman only practice the actuall combat forms, parry and thrust and all that. It takes practicing all the forms until your body is a weapon as well, with the sword merely an exstension of your body, to get that look.

Edited by Whizbang

Well the bond do enhance someone endurance and their physical shape overall so I think that if someone is already a trained swordsman that might give them an extra edge when it comes to grace, but if an Aes Sedai bonds a coach potato that would not know what end of a weapon to hold then they would not look dangerous and graceful just by the bond alone, though that extra boost of endurance would be worth gold for those late night Star Trek marathons. :P

• 8 years later...
On 1/3/2013 at 6:09 AM, yoniy0 said:

Being a Warder does give one better instincts and endurance. I believe Bryne, for one, was only referred to as graceful after Siuan bonded him.

Arrgh yes, but I HATED Sanderson's writing when he described Bryne's bonding.   Over the top and tacky, unsophisticated and low brow. 

But then Sanderson is, at best, a poor man's Robert Jordan.