DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does Moiraine or Elayne suspect that Thom killed Taringail?

Alric

It seems obvious that Thom did in fact kill Taringail. I mean, it was a "hunting accident" (teehee), Thom would have been the first to pick up on Taringail's ambitions, and well... he was there.

Considering the fact that Taringail was Elayne's father and Moiraine's (half-)brother, this could become.... interesting. These are probably the two people Thom is the closest to.

Do we have any insight into whether Moiraine or Elayne suspect it? I can't seem to remember anything specific other than the fact that Elayne in ToM issued a declaration clearing him of crimes commited in Andor or Cairhien. But that could be explained away by the fact that Morgase had asked for Thom's head and that Thom did in fact kill Galldrian... So what do they know?

And if they don't, do you think they will find out in aMoL?

This also blew my mind during my second read-through; just that they would bring up something as important as that, then not mention it again. If Elayne didn't find out this far, I doubt it'll be brought up in aMoL - though I'd certainly like it to.

Elayne did give him the court bardship and forgave him for crimes 'known and unknown' in Andor. He wondered to himself who told her. I assumed that was referencing the Taringail thing.

Though you would think it would merit more discussion and perhaps not such a warm welcome.

I always thought Thom's wondering "who told her?" was in reference for his killing King Galldrian because Elayne said crimes in both Andor and Cairhien, but considering that only the reader and Thom know about him killing Galldrian, and the only other person who might even suspect (the innkeeper who tried to talk Thom out of going after the King) would have had no known interaction with anyone in Elayne's circle, I think that the Taringail murder is probably the more likely...

This also blew my mind during my second read-through; just that they would bring up something as important as that, then not mention it again. If Elayne didn't find out this far, I doubt it'll be brought up in aMoL - though I'd certainly like it to.

Elayne did give him the court bardship and forgave him for crimes 'known and unknown' in Andor. He wondered to himself who told her. I assumed that was referencing the Taringail thing.

Though you would think it would merit more discussion and perhaps not such a warm welcome.

I think he was referring to Galldrian when he started the sentence..."I wonder who told her...."

If you think that a Cairheinin innkeeper would keep quiet about King's men dressed up as his rivals supporters, found dead in the Silver Fox's room with his dead girlfriend, then you, my friend, don't quite grasp how the Great Game works. Elayne probably suspects his involvement in her putative father's death because she's not stupid (I say putative, because there are plenty of hints that Thom might really be Elayne and Gawyn's papa), and pretty much knows, as much as one can know anything through playing the Game, that he offed Galladrian. But the "crimes in Andor" part of his pardon is almost certainly referencing his outstanding warrant issued by Morgase.

Moiraine knows what happened. She seems to have known a great deal about.. everything.

Moiraine heavily suspects, she doesn't actually know.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone as he was her half brother after all and no doubt did some investigative leg work at some point.

I do not think Elyane knows. I do think she knows about Galladrian.

Agreed.

actually what i find funny is that it seems that moiraine and thom have a history that goes beyond teotw. while thom might have a slight hesitation running into an aes sedai in the two rivers, his reaction was anything but slight when he sees her. there are other clues here or there, such as after she spoke of his history, he spoke of her. their history may not have been through personal interaction, but i think from the start they knew who each other were, and knew that they knew who each other were.

It would be really poor writing if Elayne suspects Thom killed her father yet never thinks about it in her PoV. This is a big deal.

BTW, I wonder if Taringail really was planning to assassinate Morgase and become King. I really don't see how he had any chance. The Andorans are quite patriotic and they like the system with Queens only a lot. How was Taringail planning to get enough support to become the King? Not to mention that surely the White Tower would be very much against breaking the tradition, especially with Elaida being their representative in Andor at the time. Maybe he was an overconfident fool...

BTW, I wonder if Taringail really was planning to assassinate Morgase and become King. I really don't see how he had any chance. The Andorans are quite patriotic and they like the system with Queens only a lot. How was Taringail planning to get enough support to become the King? Not to mention that surely the White Tower would be very much against breaking the tradition, especially with Elaida being their representative in Andor at the time. Maybe he was an overconfident fool...

Elayne was the daughter-heir, but she was still a child at this point. His plan would probably have been to install her as queen and then rule as regent for a while before eventually usurping her

Elayne was the daughter-heir, but she was still a child at this point. His plan would probably have been to install her as queen and then rule as regent for a while before eventually usurping her

very classic idea, get the mother/queen killed, kill the killer, rule as regent and raise the daughter, rule well and become well liked, essentially spoil the daughter and lead her into a bad choice the first year of her rule, everyone loves the regent, everyone hates the queen, remove the queen and take over in all and name, instead of in all but name.

very classic idea, get the mother/queen killed, kill the killer, rule as regent and raise the daughter, rule well and become well liked, essentially spoil the daughter and lead her into a bad choice the first year of her rule, everyone loves the regent, everyone hates the queen, remove the queen and take over in all and name, instead of in all but name.

But for one Thomdril Merrilin. Honestly, an entire book could be written about the Grey Fox.. Pity it won't be :sad:

Should Taringail care to even kill Elayne?

I think there's a mention somewhere that he wanted 'his son to rule Cairhien and his daughter Andor'. Eliminate Morgase and he gains the power of Andor to put Galad onto the throne of Cairhien (or himself with Galad as heir) making him ruler of both realms in all but name, until his kids grow up (and him not being aes sedai, by the time Elayne comes of age he might be satisfied with being the elder statesman/power behind his daughter's throne).

Archived