DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Other Planets in the WoT

seattle

So, I'm doing a re-read through in preparation for the last book release. I just got through the part in TSR (Book 4) where Nynaeve and Moghedien face off in the palace in Tanchico (where Nynaeve wins). While they're dueling with the power, Moghedien is trying to distract her using dialogue. Something that stuck out to me during that exchange was the following comment:

Moghedien smiled and took a step nearer. "...travel to other worlds, even worlds in the sky. Do you know that the stars are. ..." So sure, that smile. So triumphant.

The implication is that they visited other planets in the Age of Legends. It's a curious thought.

Is this mentioned again anywhere in the series? Or does Jordan ever comment on it? I'd like to read more about it.

So, I'm doing a re-read through in preparation for the last book release. I just got through the part in TSR (Book 4) where Nynaeve and Moghedien face off in the palace in Tanchico (where Nynaeve wins). While they're dueling with the power, Moghedien is trying to distract her using dialogue. Something that stuck out to me during that exchange was the following comment:

Moghedien smiled and took a step nearer. "...travel to other worlds, even worlds in the sky. Do you know that the stars are. ..." So sure, that smile. So triumphant.

The implication is that they visited other planets in the Age of Legends. It's a curious thought.

Is this mentioned again anywhere in the series? Or does Jordan ever comment on it? I'd like to read more about it.

Robert Jordan did confirm that a myth from the age before the Age of Legends about 'Lenn, who travelled to the moon in the belly of a fiery eagle' was a reference to John Glenn.

RJ says that WoT is actually our world, the real world, at a different point on the Wheel. The AoL, I believe, is the age after our own. So, AoLers would have at least some of our science (I think actually it was our science plus a few thousand years of research and deveopment). So, whether they went to other stars, who knows. But they would have at least had the ability to go to the moon, probably Mars, maybe the whole solar system (the OP would reduce the engineering required to build a space ship. Just wrap the ship in flows of air to presurize and seal it. Flows of fire to heat it. Water to provide, uh, water. Etc. Hardware needed would be greatly reduced). Space ships may not even be necessary, when you can just Travel there. Surviving once there may be difficult, but once a base is established, Traveling would be quick and easy. Think of the AoL more of an advanced Sci-Fi society rather than a fantasy magical society. The OP just gave them shortcuts, but they did have advanced science.

Even if Traveling to other planets is impossible due to power level limitations (though I bet the CK could get someone to Mars at least), it would be useful to get the ship out of the gravity well. No need to burn a ton of fuel to get the ship into orbit, just open a gateway directly above the ship, power up enough to lift it into the gateway, close it up, and then the ship only needs to power itself into a steady orbit. BAM, missions to space are now extremely cheap.

RJ says that WoT is actually our world, the real world, at a different point on the Wheel. The AoL, I believe, is the age after our own. So, AoLers would have at least some of our science (I think actually it was our science plus a few thousand years of research and deveopment).

I always was under the impression that in the Wheel of Time, our age did/will end with a nuclear war that destroyed all of civilization. (Mosk and Merk and all that). It might have been the age right before the AoL, but more likely not; there has to be some point when the wheel goes back to the age where people are basically primitave creatures that live in the woods run with wolves, and I'm guessing that that's actually the age after the nuclear war. The AoL is probably the end result of a long and total rebuild of civilization, apparently using very differnet types of technology and magic then our own civilization does.

You can travel to other planets, Jordan actually had a list somewhere of how large a circle you would need, so it was certainly doable (although Travelling to other galaxies was impossible because of distance, although theoretically you could build a space ship to get most of the way there I suppose) I have always wondered whether there were any space colonies in the Age of Legends.

Where was it said or implied that greater distances require more of the One Power to Travel?

Canon?

Anything info touching on Traveling in the books seem to imply that one needs to have the strength to make a Gateway. Once that threshold is met, you can travel a mile away or to the other side of the world.

From the Tor QotW

Week 19 Question

How far can a channeler Travel with the One Power? I know they can Travel anywhere on the globe, and enter Tel'aran'rhiod through a slightly different weave, but is it possible to Travel to other planets, or even planets in other galaxies?

Robert Jordan

Travel to other planets within the solar system would require a circle of fairly strong channelers, though not necessarily as many as thirteen, depending on exactly how far out they wanted to go. Travel to a planet in another solar system would require a rather large circle (of the maximum possible size) of very strong channelers, and there would a limit on how far they could go in one jump. They could planet-hop, of course. Travel to another galaxy would be beyond them even if they began on the planet in this galaxy nearest the target galaxy.

RJ says that WoT is actually our world, the real world, at a different point on the Wheel. The AoL, I believe, is the age after our own. So, AoLers would have at least some of our science (I think actually it was our science plus a few thousand years of research and deveopment).

I always was under the impression that in the Wheel of Time, our age did/will end with a nuclear war that destroyed all of civilization. (Mosk and Merk and all that). It might have been the age right before the AoL, but more likely not; there has to be some point when the wheel goes back to the age where people are basically primitave creatures that live in the woods run with wolves, and I'm guessing that that's actually the age after the nuclear war. The AoL is probably the end result of a long and total rebuild of civilization, apparently using very differnet types of technology and magic then our own civilization does.

Yeah, keep in mind, the Dark One in this "age" is still remembered, and we're relatively fresh out of the "stone age"

So, if it's our world, we should have access to the Power, right? Sign me up, pl0x.

Yeah sign me up as well.

But yes everything indicates that our world is the first age and that yes it go under in a nuclear war and then we have the second age where the One Power is combined with science and when that go down we have the third age, there is no indication that there is an age between the first one and the Age of Legends and also remember that we do not know how long ages last, sure the third one lasts three thousand years or so, but the second age can have been far longer for all we know.

So, if it's our world, we should have access to the Power, right? Sign me up, pl0x.

Yeah sign me up as well.

But yes everything indicates that our world is the first age and that yes it go under in a nuclear war and then we have the second age where the One Power is combined with science and when that go down we have the third age, there is no indication that there is an age between the first one and the Age of Legends and also remember that we do not know how long ages last, sure the third one lasts three thousand years or so, but the second age can have been far longer for all we know.

I think we're the 7th Age, that would make more sense, since the Dark one is a Legend, well, more Myth in our "age" and Mosk/Merk is a Legend/Myth in the 3rd and 7th Age means 3 ages either side.

I think we're the 7th Age, that would make more sense, since the Dark one is a Legend, well, more Myth in our "age" and Mosk/Merk is a Legend/Myth in the 3rd and 7th Age means 3 ages either side.

First off all if you ask the majority of those who follow Abrehamic religions the Dark One or rather the Devil is not a myth, billions believe in some sort of dark or evil entity or force at work in the world, as for Mosk/Merk, now I am Norwegian and we are very proud of our heritage, but there is allot of things from the Viking times which is only about one thousand to twelve hundred years ago which we do not know anything about save vague legends, including important things, and all over history you find the same, many events just a few hundred years ago is lost to legends. Now why is it then strange for you that an event that in the time of the WoT books would be at least six thousand years in the past, possibly quite a bit more, and whats more than two major cataclysms had wrecked the world since the event happened and the time of the books that the details be a bit vague, do one really need a whole other age to explain why only myths are left?

Archived