DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lanfear

thisguy

Given the utility of the knowledge Mat got from the Finns (lifetimes worth of battle experience stuff into his head), the knowledge Lanfear could got from the Finns could be explosively important. She's already a channeler of great skill, power and experience and she also knows more about the Bore than anybody else. If they gave her some special memory of say , "Every weave that can be, and has ever been, performed" for instance.

Given the utility of the knowledge Mat got from the Finns (lifetimes worth of battle experience stuff into his head), the knowledge Lanfear could got from the Finns could be explosively important. She's already a channeler of great skill, power and experience and she also knows more about the Bore than anybody else. If they gave her some special memory of say , "Every weave that can be, and has ever been, performed" for instance.

Given Lanfear's present mood at the time the went through the doorway, I'd bet anything one/two of her requests would have been a way back out with the means to see Rand dead. I'm guessing that was why the Finns allowed Moridin to retrieve her, and they would have delighted in that kind of irony. They might be also be the source of Cyndane's strange ability to contact Rand inside his own dream. Rand's shock, despite his past encounters with Lanfear and full access to LTT's memories, indicates to me that Cyndane shouldn't have been able to do this under normal conditions.

I like this theory thisguy. Lanfear was the one who initially discovered the TP and tapped that power. She would have the most knowledge regarding the prison.

Since she is being tortured, treated like a piece of meat and has reached out to LTT, she has redemptive qualities.

There is no redemption for any of the Forsaken. They are each of them as vile as a human could possibly be and no amount of personal regret or attempt to return to the Light could ever make up for their actions. Lanfear is as bad as any of the rest and watching her soul being tortured by the Dark One (or physicaly by Shadar Haran) gives me as much of a warm and fuzzy as I'll get when David Hannlon gets his.

She might have infomation that could be used about the nature of the prison of the DO, but there is no way providing that infomation could make up for the least of her actions when she went over to the Shadow.

\

It has been said in every book that there is no one so deep in the Shadow that they cannot find their way back to the light. Not only does this show that the Forsaken can be redeemed but it also seems like there will be an ultimate example of this. Lanfear seems the perfect candidate because she never really served the Shadow. She only served herself and the Shadow furthered her ends.

Lanfear seems the perfect candidate because she never really served the Shadow. She only served herself and the Shadow furthered her ends.

That only way that would be a possibility is if she saw an opportunity on the light side to grab a prominent position of power. I do not see that happening. She has never done a thing for the greater good or to help others. Especially given the latest BS quote showing the ploy is most likely a trap...

Lanfear seems the perfect candidate because she never really served the Shadow. She only served herself and the Shadow furthered her ends.

That only way that would be a possibility is if she saw an opportunity on the light side to grab a prominent position of power. I do not see that happening. She has never done a thing for the greater good or to help others. Especially given the latest BS quote showing the ploy is most likely a trap...

I didn't see that quote. What did it say?

Loialson

So, is it possible that what happened in the epilogue, she was really going through that torture?

Brandon Sanderson

You will have to see it. RAFO. Okay, like someone [?] related. I don't think, by the way...when you read the book, what Cyndane is up to should be of paramount importance to you, and DO NOT believe everything that you think happens in the book.

Loialson

From her point of view, or from our point of view?

Brandon Sanderson

From your point of view, regarding her.

Loialson

So, is it possible that what happened in the epilogue, she was really going through that torture?

Brandon Sanderson

You will have to see it. RAFO. Okay, like someone [?] related. I don't think, by the way...when you read the book, what Cyndane is up to should be of paramount importance to you, and DO NOT believe everything that you think happens in the book.

Loialson

From her point of view, or from our point of view?

Brandon Sanderson

From your point of view, regarding her.

Thank you. It does seem that she or someone else is manipulating her when taken in light of that quote.

"Every weave that can be, and has ever been, performed" for instance.

How would they comply with such a request? They aren't omniscient.

Agreed. I doubt she would have considered such a request being the most powerful female channeler as well as one of the most knowledgeable (she must have been an accomplished researcher to have been leading the project that opened the Bore). Nor does this seem within limits of the Finns' resources.

Although, it is likely that Moridin's statement in WH,Ch13 that "Cyndane knows many things" was referring to one of her three boons. What kind of knowledge this may be, however, I doubt we can determine that at this point. It certainly smells like foreshadowing of something significant to be revealed in AMoL, though. :dry:

"Every weave that can be, and has ever been, performed" for instance.

How would they comply with such a request? They aren't omniscient.

Obviously my words and speculation is just guesswork. Say she asked for some sort of knowledge of new weaves - not as slapdash as Mat but something like "I wish to learn to perform weaves I don't know, or weaves that could help me stand against the GLoD" or some such.

They might be able to stuff her mind with channeler memories - we know they dealt with plenty of AS. Or they may possess some sort of ter'angreal that teaches her weaves. We do know that they have huge stores of power-objects.

In Mat's case too, they could scarcely free him from AS (can;t recall his exact words) but they did give him something that went a long way to protecting him against channelers.

I don't see Lanfear betray the shadow. Why would she suddenly do that ? I like redemptions, and have always found it touching in stories, but in this case, i just can't imagine that. During all the books, she shows no signs of regrets, or goodness. Her love for LTT just appeared to be lust and she didn't hesitate to kill Rand when she found out he had slept with Aviendha and had rejected her one more time.

The sudden change in her feelings and behaviour in the last book ? Maybe but i'm not conviced. She could have a major role and maybe could she even help Rand but i don't think this would be a pure act of redemption.

I think the Creator would make it imperfect. If a human can breach it or touch the DO in the first place (Lanfear) then it isn't perfect. There was a quote from TGH I think about all the worlds that might be. It went on to say that the creator, much like a gardener doesn't weep for a plant that dies, but rather moves on to the next plant. i.e. Creator made the world imperfect, and left humanity to make the world in their image. A lot like giving a child play dough and saying make what you will with this.

Fred

The gardener simile was from a random of thought of Rand's in Crossroads of Twilight that apparently came from Moridin (via their strange bond). Of anyone, Moridin would probably be the most likely to know the truth (although I think there is still a high probability he is wrong).

I like this theory thisguy. Lanfear was the one who initially discovered the TP and tapped that power. She would have the most knowledge regarding the prison.

Since she is being tortured, treated like a piece of meat and has reached out to LTT, she has redemptive qualities.

There is no redemption for any of the Forsaken. They are each of them as vile as a human could possibly be and no amount of personal regret or attempt to return to the Light could ever make up for their actions. Lanfear is as bad as any of the rest and watching her soul being tortured by the Dark One (or physicaly by Shadar Haran) gives me as much of a warm and fuzzy as I'll get when David Hannlon gets his.

She might have infomation that could be used about the nature of the prison of the DO, but there is no way providing that infomation could make up for the least of her actions when she went over to the Shadow.

\

It has been said in every book that there is no one so deep in the Shadow that they cannot find their way back to the light. Not only does this show that the Forsaken can be redeemed but it also seems like there will be an ultimate example of this. Lanfear seems the perfect candidate because she never really served the Shadow. She only served herself and the Shadow furthered her ends.

"The Dark One and all the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul, bound by the Creator at the moment of Creation, bound until the end of time" They say a lot of things. Doesnt make it correct. Basicly, can a person consign someone, nevermind entire cities of people to trolloc cookpots be redeemed? Can someone well known for driving her enemies insane in the sanctity of their own dreams ever be redemed? From WOT wiki: "Mierin proclaimed her loyalty to the Shadow in the Hall of Servents itself, and chose her own new name, the only Chosen to ever do so". She pledged her soul to the dark power she had found, and RJ has said that she was already well-suited to serving the Dark One before that, finding it and drilling the bore didnt automaticly turn her to the dark Side.

She only served herslef when she turned to the Dark One? The Dark One specificaly recruits the selfish and the greedy. Lanfear may regret her afiliation, maybe, but who would grant her clemency for her crimes? She is evil beyond the definiton of the word. Whenever I hear of one of the Forsaken being tortured I get a warm fuzzy feeling because I know that there is still something good and right in the world.

Archived