DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most infuriating moment/topic in the books

Alric

This drove me a little wa-wa reading it. Elayne to Gawyn, ToM:

"You say you love her, Elayne said. "You've told her you're devoted to her, that you'd die for her. Well, Egwene has armies full of those kinds of people, as do I. What is truly unique is someone who does what I tell them. Better, someone who does what they know I would tell them, if I had the chance."

seriously???????? just live your life as an intelligent gai'shan with foretelling and you'll do ok, Gawyn.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can kill me if you want, but any scene that even remotely mentions eggy the exalted one. (As you can only address her without an honorific, if you want to cast serious aspersions on your sanity) just makes me throw the book very hard against the wall. To me she just epitomizes stupidity. You do not believe that? just take her name and watch everyone run for the cover.

If we are only talking about topics/moments and not the quality of writing... Speaking of Sea Folk, I was completely flabbergasted by the fact that they demanded a heavy payment from Elayne and Nyn for helping them fix the weather. This makes them the worst kind of mercenaries that exist in all Randlands. RJ never even acknowledged this as an issue.

Judging by the aMoL prologue it seems that BS at least is aware of it but I don't know if this will ever be addressed. I doubt it.

It's no wonder that 'weep on the march to tarmon gai'don' is such an awesome moment :p

Yes, it was. But it doesn't make up for the Bowl of the Winds thing.

I was lurking around and I had to create an account as soon as I saw that topic.

I don't know why but it infuriates me to the very dephts of my being, when they don't stop bitching about how this in stories something never happened like that, or that everything just fell in place in the stories.

NO SHIT, THEY ARE STORIES DUMBASSES...

Sorry, moving on, I also don't when tuon doesn't believe in like visions that some people have(either dreamers, or min, or stuff like that), yet she completely believes that random signs have some kind of meaning and predictions.

I also dislike Faile a lot.

I can't think of more, at least from the top of my head

I can't stand Rand's answer for why he shouldn't destroy the world in Veins of Gold. The series built up to this moment ever since TGH and, for me, the reason for his return to the Light was really disappointing. His whole "now, I'm steel" "no, now I"m cuendillar" bit was always annoying. However, it made sense that he had to find a reason to fight the Dark One other than because he was fated to do so.

Yet, in Veins of Gold, he struggles with a more fundamental question only to find a reason that doesn't negate his earlier despondency. Namely, he asks what the point of living is when evil exists in the world. His answer? Love. You get to love again and fix past mistakes.

Come again? Yes, you get to love again but everyone is still trapped in the same cycle that allows for all of the horrible things that made him despondent in the first place.

The Seanchan as a whole manage to tick me off. I know that's kind of the point, but particular hints in ToM didn't help my opinion of them any.

Elayne's been getting there in the last few books, though I can't put my finger on any huge moments in particular, just a bunch of small ones.

"I know the last battle is coming and all, Rand, and you need a unified fighting force, and your one gauranteed ally is me and Andor, but I am going to go ahead and boot your army out of here and waste all sorts of time and soldiers fighting for a crown I already own and you have secured for me. M'kay? Also, I am angry at your friend Perrin for liberating The Two Rivers from Tollocs and making it a strong part of my realm, able to produce many goods, taxes, and stability without me having to lift a finger, all because he is being called a 'lord' without me raising him up formally. And I know he is your friend, and a ta'avren and critical for the Last battle, but I'm the rightful queen of Andor (despite me fighting over that very thing right now), and everyone needs to bow to me."

Also, what is with describing Tar Valon scheming as somehow more complicated and subtle than the Game of Houses? Just seems.... Eh... compared to political and warfare tactics and strategy. On the surface, anyone who is stronger than you is your superior, except if they are a sitter in the hall or have been appointed your superior. Totally 1:1 comparison to lords' wealth/military strength. Then, of course, you get into the politics of the hall, but this is no more complex than any senate-type voting set up. Senators look for support from the rest of the population and barter and deal for votes with other Sitters. This all seems pretty straight forward to me. The Game of Houses, though, involves all sorts of intrigue and wheeling and dealing, subtle messages and assassinations. Out-guessing everyone else on who will do what when. Plus, there are only so many Aes Sedai. There are literally thousands and thousands of lords and ladies, all with their own agendas and personalities. It just doesn’t seem to compare.

And what’s up with the Borderlanders? Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain… So, let’s all pack up and head south for a holiday, right when everything points to the Last Battle coming any day now. Nevermind the blight. Those fades and trollocs and worms and other nasties are all big push-overs. Some pubescent boys and aged grandfathers should be able to handle them. This Dragon fellow seems dangerous, let’s go and test his worthiness by camping near Caemlyn for months on end, in the middle of a civil war.

Nothing in this series has made me rage/curse/throw books, not really. Not like A Song of Ice and Fire. But Rand's woeful ignorance of events happening at the Black Tower from book six onward comes close. Basically he helped create the new Dreadlords by not taking an active leadership within the BT.

I agree with this, too. Just stupid on Rand's part.

^^ I read it as Rand knew of the danger, but decided it was worth it. He does not trust Taim. He knows that some, or even many of the AM will go to the DO, or go mad. He just decided that he would accept the loss. Building up the BT is a full-time job. He already has a few dozen full-time jobs. He just cannot spare the time or effort to manage the BT, especially since he knows that many will betray him or go mad anyway. He will accept the losses if it gains him a few dozen/hundred allies in the Power. LTT, and now Rand, knows that the Last battle will not be won by mere strength, either in people or in OP. Something clever and final will need to be done. He just needs enough soldiers and AM to fight the hordes and Forsaken while he and a chosen few seal the bore. He is merely adding to the chaos, hoping to distract the DO minions who will fight and expend energy to convert AM, while he fights and spends energy to figure out how to seal the bore and clense Saidin. The DO will have dreadlords regardless. At least this way, the Light also has some AS to fight these dreadlords. Ultimately, the world is going to burn and break no matter what he does. He just needs to distract the DO and company long enough so he can get the job done. He cannot worry about what comes after, or even what occurs during, the last battle other than to ensure he has room and time to work.

^^ I read it as Rand knew of the danger, but decided it was worth it. He does not trust Taim. He knows that some, or even many of the AM will go to the DO, or go mad. He just decided that he would accept the loss. Building up the BT is a full-time job. He already has a few dozen full-time jobs. He just cannot spare the time or effort to manage the BT, especially since he knows that many will betray him or go mad anyway. He will accept the losses if it gains him a few dozen/hundred allies in the Power. LTT, and now Rand, knows that the Last battle will not be won by mere strength, either in people or in OP. Something clever and final will need to be done. He just needs enough soldiers and AM to fight the hordes and Forsaken while he and a chosen few seal the bore. He is merely adding to the chaos, hoping to distract the DO minions who will fight and expend energy to convert AM, while he fights and spends energy to figure out how to seal the bore and clense Saidin. The DO will have dreadlords regardless. At least this way, the Light also has some AS to fight these dreadlords. Ultimately, the world is going to burn and break no matter what he does. He just needs to distract the DO and company long enough so he can get the job done. He cannot worry about what comes after, or even what occurs during, the last battle other than to ensure he has room and time to work.

I agree with this, mostly. I did wish he'd check in at least once a month or something.

On a side note: Aviendha's second trip through Rhuidean - in one of those future lives, aside from a few clans, the only real resistance left is the Ashaman. The outlive the WT.

I agree with this, mostly. I did wish he'd check in at least once a month or something.

On a side note: Aviendha's second trip through Rhuidean - in one of those future lives, aside from a few clans, the only real resistance left is the Ashaman. The outlive the WT.

It's not really obvious; the Asha'man fight, they say, but the fall of the White Tower is still news at that point. So obviously the Asha'man fell sooner, they just kept up a guerilla resistance at least until the fall of the Tower, and their continued resistance after that is only a maybe.

That said, Aviendha's vision of the future was also kinda infuriating, dampened only by us knowing it's probably not gonna happen that way. The GOOD guys are supposed to win, not the 'less evil' people.

I second Alanna rape-bonding Rand. So much cringing. I wish Faile had stabbed her for attempting it on Perrin.

"You say you love her, Elayne said. "You've told her you're devoted to her, that you'd die for her. Well, Egwene has armies full of those kinds of people, as do I. What is truly unique is someone who does what I tell them. Better, someone who does what they know I would tell them, if I had the chance."

seriously???????? just live your life as an intelligent gai'shan with foretelling and you'll do ok, Gawyn.

Right? Did she even hear herself? Besides, those who challenge the person in position of power's rule all the while remaining loyal are infinitely more valuable.

I second Alanna rape-bonding Rand. So much cringing. I wish Faile had stabbed her for attempting it on Perrin.

Right? Did she even hear herself? Besides, those who challenge the person in position of power's rule all the while remaining loyal are infinitely more valuable.

I like raspberries. :)

I like raspberries. :)

Dried are good with tea. And cereal. :)

I can't believe nobody mentioned this...

When Alanna bonded Rand without permission!!!

Even on reread it makes me furious! My friend who just started reading the books got to that part the other night and she said she was in a rage.

I forgot about that one, although it is also one of those that makes me want to scream with rage until my lungs implode.

I can't believe nobody mentioned this...

When Alanna bonded Rand without permission!!!

Even on reread it makes me furious! My friend who just started reading the books got to that part the other night and she said she was in a rage.

I forgot about that one, although it is also one of those that makes me want to scream with rage until my lungs implode.

That one definitely pissed me off. Since the beginning of tSR, basically everything, except for Moiraine dying and the Shaido, had been going Rand's way, except. At this point in LoC everything was looking good for him. And then that complete moron went and ruined everything! And the rest of the Aes Sedai proced to make things even worse. Seriously the Aes Sedai in general come off really, really, bad in LoC.

1. Rescuing Faile

2. Rescuing Egwene

3. Egwene's rise to power. I didnt have to read every other paragraph that she needed to drink that stupid tea.

4. Moggy turned into a complete lame ass chosen. She kicked ass until Moridin got her soul.

5. Rand and Min basically humping every chance they get. I dont get how he thought he and Avi should have married, but suddenly doesnt respect min the same way?

6. anything of Elayne being queen.

I really did like the one scene where Elayne threatened sort of, to have Perrin beheaded, and Perrin snorts that Rand wouldnt appreciate that. I think we need more scenes like that - where everyone realized that Mat and Perrin are pretty darn important people and Rand has a big stick.

I mean really - at one point Rand needs to put Elayne in her place and tell her - "Hey, i set up Andor and Carhein for you, just take the damn crowns...we dont need three books worth of your damn succession plans."

I really did like the one scene where Elayne threatened sort of, to have Perrin beheaded, and Perrin snorts that Rand wouldnt appreciate that. I think we need more scenes like that - where everyone realized that Mat and Perrin are pretty darn important people and Rand has a big stick.

It was quite obviously a bargaining ploy and never a serious thought.

I mean really - at one point Rand needs to put Elayne in her place and tell her - "Hey, i set up Andor and Carhein for you, just take the damn crowns...we dont need three books worth of your damn succession plans."

Rand was regent in Andor, he never conquered that country. While his men did keep the peace for a time Elayne used her own troops to secure the capital and had to go about garnering the votes on her own. Something Rand actually made more difficult by not understading Andoran culture and stating he mean her to have the throne.

TPoD Ch28

You’ve come to accept the throne from the Dragon Reborn, then?”

“I claim the throne by my own right, Dyelin, with my own hand. The Lion Throne is no bauble to be accepted from a man.” Dyelin nodded, as at self-evident truth. Which it was, to any Andoran. “How do you stand, Dyelin? With Trakand, or against?

If Elayne had said she was accepting it from Rand she would never have received the proper support. In addition people like Bashere made it clear that she couldn't use Rands men.

Archived