DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Full Chapter One Spoilers!!! Sign Contest

Neophyte

THIS ENTIRE THREAD DEALS WITH A SPOILER FROM THE FIRST CHAPTER OF AMOL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

In the first chapter of AMoL, we read this:

“Tell the people,” Rand said to his clerks. “Post warnings. Earthquakes will continue. Storms. Real ones, terrible ones. There will be a Breaking, and we cannot avoid it. The Dark One will try to grind this world to dust.”

I'm on the record elsewhere as being of the opinion that Last Battle signage is an absurd waste of time. However, a number of folks have disagreed with me, and that is a thing which reasonable people can do. So, the purpose of this thread is to give everyone an opportunity to post exactly what they think should be written on the signs, and maybe where they should be put and how they should be distributed.

Feel free to be creative. This doesn't have to be a serious conversation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does someone care to explain to me the premise of this thread? I'm probably being especially obtuse, but I just don't get it. Neo?

Rand tells the clerks to "post warnings" about the continuing earthquakes, storms, etc. I think that is a ridiculous idea, but some people thought it was a good one, so I am interested in exactly what they think the signs should say to be useful.

There certainly is a tongue-in-cheek element to it, as well. I'm not opposed to humor, as a rule :) But it is a forum for serious ideas too, if anyone has one.

Does someone care to explain to me the premise of this thread? I'm probably being especially obtuse, but I just don't get it. Neo?

Rand tells the clerks to "post warnings" about the continuing earthquakes, storms, etc. I think that is a ridiculous idea, but some people thought it was a good one, so I am interested in exactly what they think the signs should say to be useful.

There certainly is a tongue-in-cheek element to it, as well. I'm not opposed to humor, as a rule :) But it is a forum for serious ideas too, if anyone has one.

You know I saw this your way. But now I think it's a good thing. The point is not to inform the moron who doesn't know what's coming. It's to instill a sense of security by showing that someone is in charge and has an idea of what's coming.

The random farmer who sees this is going to be comforted knowing that the Dragon Reborn knows what he's going through, and what else the Dark One can do.

You know I saw this your way. But now I think it's a good thing. The point is not to inform the moron who doesn't know what's coming. It's to instill a sense of security by showing that someone is in charge and has an idea of what's coming.

The random farmer who sees this is going to be comforted knowing that the Dragon Reborn knows what he's going through, and what else the Dark One can do.

Right, the same way that Elayne made it known in KoD that the AS were aware of the halls changing. It comforts people to know that the people in charge are aware of the problems. Well, unless they don't trust the people in charge.

Right, the same way that Elayne made it known in KoD that the AS were aware of the halls changing. It comforts people to know that the people in charge are aware of the problems. Well, unless they don't trust the people in charge.

I simply don't understand that mindset. What message, that can be distilled to a sign and includes "warnings" about earthquakes and storms, can promulgate both the warning and give a message of comfort? Part of the reason I started this thread was to genuinely try to find out what people think will accomplish that, because I honestly can't think of anything.

Dear Citizens of Randland,

This is to announce that the end is nigh. Soon, the Dark One will face the Dragon in the Last Battle. As the Seals have weakened, the power of the Dark One has increased in the world. The worst of the things you face are known by me, and anticipated. Know that it is expected for things to get worse before they get better. But Belief and Order give strength. Stay steadfast.

Rand al'Thor,

Dragon Reborn.

This is to announce that the end is nigh. Soon, the Dark One will face the Dragon in the Last Battle. As the Seals have weakened, the power of the Dark One has increased in the world. The worst of the things you face are known by me, and anticipated. Know that it is expected for things to get worse before they get better. But Belief and Order give strength. Stay steadfast.

Rand al'Thor,

Dragon Reborn.

I'm genuinely not trying to be funny here - are you serious? Because if so, I really think it is absurd. This reads like the worst kind of public service announcement, and in a world not accustomed to PSAs it would be either ignored by those who have already reached this conclusion, scoffed at by the cynical, or cause extra pandemonium among the innocently earnest.

That kind of message can be delivered with effect in a speech - especially aided by Rand al'Thor's ta'veren effect. But as a printed ... flyer? It just strikes me all wrong.

Maybe I am just too cynical, but if I lived in Randland and saw that on a piece of paper or on a roadside signpost, I would either laugh bitterly or roll my eyes. I don't mean that to be insulting, that's just my honest reaction.

Rand al'Thor,

Dragon Reborn.

I'm genuinely not trying to be funny here - are you serious? Because if so, I really think it is absurd. This reads like the worst kind of public service announcement, and in a world not accustomed to PSAs it would be either ignored by those who have already reached this conclusion, scoffed at by the cynical, or cause extra pandemonium among the innocently earnest.

That kind of message can be delivered with effect in a speech - especially aided by Rand al'Thor's ta'veren effect. But as a printed ... flyer? It just strikes me all wrong.

Maybe I am just too cynical, but if I lived in Randland and saw that on a piece of paper or on a roadside signpost, I would either laugh bitterly or roll my eyes. I don't mean that to be insulting, that's just my honest reaction.

But it won't be a roadside sign. It will be sent to each town, and the town cryer, or equivalent, will read it aloud to everyone. And in a world unused to their rulers caring that much about them (save in Andor), you can bet it will have a positive effect.

It may be corny publicity by todays' standard, but do remember that todays' corny publicity was good publicity years ago. The people of Rand-land are not media jaded cynics.

But it won't be a roadside sign. It will be sent to each town, and the town cryer, or equivalent, will read it aloud to everyone. And in a world unused to their rulers caring that much about them (save in Andor), you can bet it will have a positive effect.

It may be corny publicity by todays' standard, but do remember that todays' corny publicity was good publicity years ago. The people of Rand-land are not media jaded cynics.

Well, that isn't what Rand said. He said "Tell the people," but the he said, "Post warnings." What you're describing would be slightly more effective (though I'm not sure that your average town in Randland has a cryer - have we seen one?) but I doubt that the positive effect would justify the sheer manpower required to disseminate this to all corners of Randland at this late hour.

And I think you overestimate the credulity of Randland's inhabitants.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one though.

Well, that isn't what Rand said. He said "Tell the people," but the he said, "Post warnings." What you're describing would be slightly more effective (though I'm not sure that your average town in Randland has a cryer - have we seen one?) but I doubt that the positive effect would justify the sheer manpower required to disseminate this to all corners of Randland at this late hour.

Its the same language Dyelin used when she wanted her support for Elayne known. She said she "published" her support. Obviously, there are no newspapers. The only way to get a public announcement is a cryer. I think such a system likely exists in all towns to let the decrees of the rulers be known. That's the system Rand plans to use I think.

And you're ignoring that troubled farmers are all headed towards TG. To them, knowing that someone is in charge will be a great support. It doesn't require much credulity. For these people, the DR is a figure from legend. When he has something to say to them, they'll listen.

Its the same language Dyelin used when she wanted her support for Elayne known. She said she "published" her support. Obviously, there are no newspapers. The only way to get a public announcement is a cryer. I think such a system likely exists in all towns to let the decrees of the rulers be known. That's the system Rand plans to use I think.

And you're ignoring that troubled farmers are all headed towards TG. To them, knowing that someone is in charge will be a great support. It doesn't require much credulity. For these people, the DR is a figure from legend. When he has something to say to them, they'll listen.

When Dyelin "published" her support, I never thought that was to the common people, I thought it was to the nobility. It was a political act meant to ensure that she couldn't revoke her support later, not a public information campaign. We've seen no indications of even an Andoran "town cryer" system anywhere, much less an international one.

Also, the Dragon Reborn is a figure of as much fear and dread as he is one of hope. Throughout this series, only relatively small portions of the population have really listened to what he had to say even in person, much less by hearsay and rumor - and nothing has gone out from him as "official proclamation" to the population at large. He has sown chaos, fear, and division - war and destruction have both preceded and followed him wherever he went.

He will become the figure of legend that we (the readers) see him as in the days following the Last Battle. But right now? He's regarded by a significant chunk of the world as a dangerous borderline lunatic.

Archived