DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a legitimate speculation thread, go.

clu7ch

Unless one of moraine's request is not to be taken by anyone but thom as a foresight as part of her viewings. Also, IIRC mordin used the TP to rip a hole in reality when travelling (not the normal) & he visits other dimensions (moggy's prison befor the soul trap) etc...I would guess he used the TP to get to the Finns directly to the central chamber where he gets his 3 requests. takes lanfear + 2 other things? Possibly the 3rd sang(although why need this is he had access to the Tp)

Morraine had 3 wishes, 1) angreal 2) to be allowed removal for possession from eelfinn by thom & being able to save the world/pattern with rand or the knowledge to, her price was for them to feed off her emotion/ability to channel. (same reason why cynande/lanfear has the lower ability in the power, I assume then that mordin must have gone quite quickly to 'save' her.

I am however just projecting mist!!!

but we have no proof that the TP which is of the DO works in finnland unfortunately. I'd assume not, but thats just a wild guess.

Why would it not work?

The One Power works. The DO is outside the pattern and has had a presence in the portal stone worlds.

Did we not see in Tear that Rand (or maybe Mat) was warned not to ask questions too closely related to the Shadow? That would imply a presence in parallel worlds as well.

All in all, I'm saying that Ishy may have the knowledge to make his own entrance to Finn world and did not need to entire via the redstone doorways or the ToG.

I agree with your last point completely. I'm sure it's been RAFO'd as to why you don't ask questions concerning the dark in finnland, but I was kinda assuming that was the case, otherwise the DO would have just transmigrated lanfear. but thats me speculating :D

Very few authors end with the destruction of reality.

Quite true - but I know one who does; James Blish, in The Triumph of Time.

But even that wasn't the complete end ... if I remember correctly, didn't some of the characters become their own new universes?

They certainly did.. but the principal character opted to make a decidedly non-standard universe. It would probably not have been reality-as-we-know-it at all.

I'm still going to maintain that Blish's ending does not have the same kind of impact that the Dark One laughing over a Pattern shredded out of existence would have.

I'll give you that, certainly! :ohmy::ohmy:

There is a quote from RJ on the difficulty of Traveling to other worlds. A veteran quote master may know what I am referring to.

Unless he said it is impossible, which I highly doubt (the ter'angreal made a passage to 'finnland, so we know the One Power can do it) then it doesn't really mean anything. Moridin is quite capable, I imagine, of doing any number of things that would be considered "difficult."

There is a quote from RJ on the difficulty of Traveling to other worlds. A veteran quote master may know what I am referring to.

Unless he said it is impossible, which I highly doubt (the ter'angreal made a passage to 'finnland, so we know the One Power can do it) then it doesn't really mean anything. Moridin is quite capable, I imagine, of doing any number of things that would be considered "difficult."

No not impossible. Something about a full circle of 72 maybe. I will take a look for it.

RJ:

Travel to other planets within the solar system would require a circle of fairly strong channelers, though not necessarily as many as thirteen, depending on exactly how far out they wanted to go. Travel to a planet in another solar system would require a rather large circle (of the maximum possible size) of very strong channelers, and there would a limit on how far they could go in one jump. They could planet-hop, of course. Travel to another galaxy would be beyond them even if they began on the planet in this galaxy nearest the target galaxy.

The three requests Moiraine asked for would of had nothing to do with escaping whatsoever so that narrows down the list considerably.

"I passed through the ter'angreal" she said. "The ancient treaty held for both of us, though with the doorway

destroyed, there was no simple return. I knew from . . . previous events that I would not escape unless you came for

me, no matter what my demands were or how carefully I worded them. So I used them for the best."

"What did you ask for?" Mat asked. "Beyond the angreal?"

She smiled. "I shall keep that to myself, for now. You do have my thanks, young Matrim. For my life."

Then you have to remember that Moiraine is a BLUE and blue to the core... she considers causes and particularly winning the last battle for the light far more important than her own life - or even Rand's life at times.

I'm pretty sure one of her requests was:

"The KNOWLEDGE of how to assist the dragon against the DO in the last battle"; I really hope she's a philosopher at heart and actually asked for the memories of people who were at the last "last battle" and the bore seven ages ago.

As for the third?... actually I think that'll be a more personal request... like the ability to bare Thom's children in the future or something. (its very vague if Aes Sedai or womeone on the oath rod for extended periods of time can have children or just choose not to.)

RJ:

Travel to other planets within the solar system would require a circle of fairly strong channelers, though not necessarily as many as thirteen, depending on exactly how far out they wanted to go. Travel to a planet in another solar system would require a rather large circle (of the maximum possible size) of very strong channelers, and there would a limit on how far they could go in one jump. They could planet-hop, of course. Travel to another galaxy would be beyond them even if they began on the planet in this galaxy nearest the target galaxy.

OK, but we're talking about 'finn-land here, right? That's not another planet in our solar system or galaxy or even universe. As best I can tell, it is in a different layer or reality - one of the so-called "parallel worlds." Different laws of physics apply. And so do the methods of getting there - it wouldn't be a gateway to cover a long "distance" physically like the quote you've supplied here.

This really is a case of apples to oranges. RJ's quote is talking about interstellar distances within the same layer of reality. Getting to the 'finns is an entirely different proposition. If you were standing in Randland with an infinitely powerful telescope, you wouldn't find the world of the 'finns anywhere in the sky.

RJ:

OK, but we're talking about 'finn-land here, right? That's not another planet in our solar system or galaxy or even universe. As best I can tell, it is in a different layer or reality - one of the so-called "parallel worlds." Different laws of physics apply. And so do the methods of getting there - it wouldn't be a gateway to cover a long "distance" physically like the quote you've supplied here.

This really is a case of apples to oranges. RJ's quote is talking about interstellar distances within the same layer of reality. Getting to the 'finns is an entirely different proposition. If you were standing in Randland with an infinitely powerful telescope, you wouldn't find the world of the 'finns anywhere in the sky.

So then it should be even more difficult to reach by Traveling.

Edit: I actually do think was Ishy and that he has some method of safely reaching Finnland. Just do not think he Traveled there.

RJ:

So then it should be even more difficult to reach by Traveling.

Edit: I actually do think was Ishy and that he has some method of safely reaching Finnland. Just do not think he Traveled there.

You may not be able to reach it at all with the standard location-to-location Traveling weave. But we already know that different versions of gateways can be opened to, for example, Tel'aran'rhiod, which is between and through all of the "parallel" and "perpendicular" worlds at once. So, I imagine there is a method which, while it may not be exactly the same weaves used to Travel from Tear to Caemlyn, would be similar enough in effect to be the same for practical purposes.

Legitimate speculation?

The Hundred Weaves will fix the thinness of the Pattern at Shayol Ghul.

LOL ... If that happens I will, in order, laugh, cry, shoot up my car door, make sweet, sweet love to my wife, and then sit down with a quart of Ben and Jerry's to watch The Phantom Menace, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Some things, you can only wallow in.

Why not read Sword of Truth while you're at it? :D

Legitimate speculation?

The Hundred Weaves will fix the thinness of the Pattern at Shayol Ghul.

LOL ... If that happens I will, in order, laugh, cry, shoot up my car door, make sweet, sweet love to my wife, and then sit down with a quart of Ben and Jerry's to watch The Phantom Menace, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Some things, you can only wallow in.

Why not read Sword of Truth while you're at it? :D

I said wallow, not pickle my brain in poorly executed Ayn Randian fantasy rip-offs. At least Jordan made up the Hundred Weaves himself. :aessedai:

Archived