DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just For Despo

John E. Kelley

That's funny lol. Not a bad pun at all, in fact that's a pretty good one. We're trained as a society to have a knee jerk groan reaction to puns, but the fact is they're often very clever. Plus, English just so happens to be the best language in the world by far for wordplay. People who don't speak english at first but then learn it and then discover puns often appreciate them more than the rest of us, but the fact is - puns have a great capacity to be hilarious. They're a different sort of humor, yes, and they don't provide for the same kind of instant gratification that slapstick, dick and fart jokes, or schadenfruede can give, but to the uncommon mind they are often quite enjoyable.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate that puns get such a bad wrap.

Oh and here's the second part of my rant -

While I got the joke, because I originally learned to play piano when I was young, the symbol used in that picture is not the normal symbol used for a rest in music. It's basically either the fancy symbol used, or the symbol used for piano music tablature.

The more common symbol looks smething like this:

rest-time-signature.jpg

Since that symbol can also be inverted and used the same way, I think it almost might have been funnier if the picture had shown a stick figure with an inverted rest symbol over their head, cause it would have made it look like they were wearing a hat, while ALSO being under a rest. When going for puns, double or triple entendre can only make it better imo

:biggrin:

Fancy one is quarter note rest. The one you showed is a note rest and if you invert it then it's a half note rest

I never said they were the same type of rest, just that the one I showed was the more common one. And the one in the picture can also be used for whole or half rests, it really just depends on the person writing the tablature.

Generally speaking tho, you're right about the whole step/half step in regards to the one I showed. And because a whole note rest is more common than a half note, it's the more common rest symbol! :laugh:

Not a picture, but still funny-

A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilization in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks.

The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very BAD if drums stop."

The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!"

The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! VERY BAD!"

The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?"

Wild-eyed, the boy responds,

" . . . BASS SOLO!!!" -

062-Christian-Rock-I-may-be-going-to-hell-but-at-least-the-music-wont-suck-annoying-christian-rock-music-hell-funny.jpg

i take offense at this. i've heard some really awesome christian rock before.

Lol so have I (August Burns Red is awesome). It's a generalization yes, but I wouldn't say an offensive one. It's not saying Christian music sucks cause it's Christian after all. Plus, I just thought it was kind of a funny meme. Sorry if it offended you

Archived