DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My Favourite Thought of the Week from @Sleepinghour

Luckers

I don't think he can find Heroes in the normal run of events. I think he has to stalk Nynaeve to get at Rand when the time comes.

Brandon did confirm that the Precepts don't protect heroes beyond the sheer fact that obeying them sets a pattern of behaviour that doesn't expose them often to external threat.

I think it would be hilarious, as well as (only very, very slightly) more plausible, if Mat were to blow the Horn, only to find that the Shadow had found and replaced it with a replica while it was stored in the Tower.

'As the dark, seething mass of Trollocs charged into his lines, Mat inhaled deeply, and blew into the horn. He remembered the long, golden note he'd heard at Falme, which seemed to never end. But now, a weak, slightly tinny note emerged from the curled metal instrument. Fortuona maintained her composure, but Selucia couldn't help but wince at the pathetic sound of it.

And nothing else happened.

The lines barely held through the initial impact of the Trolloc charge; he could see right away that they would soon crumble in a dozen places. "Well, Matrim?" the Empress asked, irritated. Mat looked confused, and tried again, and a third time. If anything the sound emerging from the horn was weaker with each try. He smashed the horn against his hand in frustration, then frowned as a tiny flake of paint stuck to his palm. Frantically scratching at the thing, he found that the famous inscription was false ... painted on! Underneath was another line of script. Dovienya? Gavane dovienya, dinyan'd'ma'purvene? - Moridin. Mat couldn't help but understand it. "Luck? What luck, Sounder of the Horn? - Moridin" As he swore, he could almost hear the laughter echoing from the massive black mountain ahead.

He sat back in the saddle, flabbergasted. "They told me this was the Horn! It's not my fault!"'

I'd have thrown in Moridin smiling "deeply" just to get the Sanderson verisimilitude, but you guys get the point. :wink:

The Tower is the only place I think it can be. Verin and Siuan were the only ones who knew where it was at. I don't see either of them trusting someone else to take it to a hiding spot. Verin was in the Tower for awhile after they got back and then went straight to the Two Rivers with Alanna. I don't think Verin would take it with her there. Siuan was under the impression she was going to be Amyrlin for many years to come so she thought it would be safe with her in the Tower. The Tower has enough empty rooms and hiding places. Also, AMoL has too much to cover to include another search for the Horn

I think it would probably be very difficult for Slayer to find the Heroes since they have thousands of years of experience in hiding in T'A'R, but it would have been an interesting twist and significant blow to the Light's morale. The Heroes might not be needed to win the Last Battle, but they are beloved legendary figures and a powerful symbol of the Light, so everyone in Randland would be devastated if they were killed. Which is what the Shadow wants—to "bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shake their very will itself."

Moghedien knows the Heroes reside in T'A'R; it would be strange if she hadn't tried to use that information to improve her current low standing. The Shadow would benefit in many ways from getting rid of the Heroes, so why not send Slayer who already has access to T'A'R and has been a pretty underutilized weapon so far.

As devastating as it would be for the Light-siders to lose the Heroes, Hawkwing is the only remaining Hero in T'A'R whom we readers know and care about. Birgitte and Gaidal are out in the real world; some of the other Heroes could have been spun out as well. Shivan and Calian are thought by some to be Elayne's twins, in which case they would be safe.

Like I said in the original post, I doubt this will actually happen, so I'm mostly just playing the devil's advocate here. I would have loved for something like this to happen, or for Halima to have turned most of the Salidar camp into unwitting Manchurian candidates. Even with Caemlyn on fire and the Black Tower about to implode, Team Evil's efforts have been a little underwhelming so far.

I think it would be hilarious, as well as (only very, very slightly) more plausible, if Mat were to blow the Horn, only to find that the Shadow had found and replaced it with a replica while it was stored in the Tower.

Okay, that was hilarious. My favorite part was Moridin's inscription. :wink:

'As the dark, seething mass of Trollocs charged into his lines, Mat inhaled deeply, and blew into the horn. He remembered the long, golden note he'd heard at Falme, which seemed to never end. But now, a weak, slightly tinny note emerged from the curled metal instrument. Fortuona maintained her composure, but Selucia couldn't help but wince at the pathetic sound of it.

And nothing else happened.

The lines barely held through the initial impact of the Trolloc charge; he could see right away that they would soon crumble in a dozen places. "Well, Matrim?" the Empress asked, irritated. Mat looked confused, and tried again, and a third time. If anything the sound emerging from the horn was weaker with each try. He smashed the horn against his hand in frustration, then frowned as a tiny flake of paint stuck to his palm. Frantically scratching at the thing, he found that the famous inscription was false ... painted on! Underneath was another line of script. Dovienya? Gavane dovienya, dinyan'd'ma'purvene? - Moridin. Mat couldn't help but understand it. "Luck? What luck, Sounder of the Horn? - Moridin" As he swore, he could almost hear the laughter echoing from the massive black mountain ahead.

He sat back in the saddle, flabbergasted. "They told me this was the Horn! It's not my fault!"'

I'd have thrown in Moridin smiling "deeply" just to get the Sanderson verisimilitude, but you guys get the point. :wink:

This is the best combination of Jordan & Pratchett I've ever read!

It had me laughing through every line! Great stuff!

You should write more of this.

I like the original thought about Slayer killing Heroes of the Horn. (and yes... it would have both hilarious and a big "uh-oh!"... if ony 4 Heroes show up saying the rest is gone)

But considering how most of the Heroes have had thousands and thousands of turnings of practice-time in T'a'r, Slayer might not be much of a threat to them.

In comparison, Slayer is a baby experience-wise compared to the Heroes. Even Perrin manages to hold his ground or get out alive on the times they've met.

I wonder who would have won if Birgitte would have been hunted by Slayer in the Unseen World. Slayer might have just ended up with two arrows in his forehead before it even became a fight...

There's precepts as strong as Law that say (too strong a word, I know) the Heroes shouldn't be getting involved untill they are spun out. Maybe Slayer is the lucky one here that he isn't the one hunted in T'a'r?

Substitute the sound you feel the horn would make, in your head, for the sound of a slide-whistle, and it's giggle-riffic.

Read the rest of the posts after yours but I'm still giggling. Now I can't get that piercing, joyful and mournful sound out of my head. Especially because I imagine it like a Tarzan type call :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Substitute the sound you feel the horn would make, in your head, for the sound of a slide-whistle, and it's giggle-riffic.

Read the rest of the posts after yours but I'm still giggling. Now I can't get that piercing, joyful and mournful sound out of my head. Especially because I imagine it like a Tarzan type call :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh my gawd! LOL! :biggrin:

Mat’s hand shook as he raised the Horn of Valere to his lips...

It was a clear note, golden as the Horn was golden. The trees around them seemed to resonate with it,

and the ground under their feet, the sky overhead. That one long sound encompassed everything.

*cackles madly* :myrddraal:

Verin did return to the WT again post-TSR at least once. She Travelled there to try and free herself from the Oaths to the GLoD and couldn't find the Oath Rod and had to kill herself instead. She also spent a long period off-screen, which she explained bizarrely by telling Mat she was stuck waiting for him. She can lie and has, earlier. She may have been to the WT during that period off-screen oir after she left Mat in Caemlyn..

Her search for the OR would have meant her wandering around in the storerooms where the Horn is likely to have been kept.

She might have re-hidden it on a whim.

Verin might also have removed it earlier if she chose to do so if she wanted,.

She probably hasn't re-hidden the Horn.

Her letter to Mat doesn't mention it at all, which is a bit odd.

She doesn't tell Mat where it is - or even tell him to chat to Suian about it.

And, as far as Verin knows, at the period when she wrote to Mat, Suian Sanche has no access to the WT anymore.

The non-mention in the letter is explicable because Verin intended to return and chat to Mat. But she may have set up contingency measures about the Horn - perhaps the location is there in Rand's letter, or in the coded notebooks Egwene now possesses (and has forgotten all about).

Does Mat even know that Verin and Suian are so to speak, custodians of the Horn? He seems to believe that Egwene will know where it is.

Mat believes the Amyrlin will know where it is. I don't think the White Tower would have let the horn go. They had a watch on it when Fain reclaimed the dagger so I doubt it went unnoticed by Elaida that something special must be held there. The only issue might be if Elaida tells the Seanchan about it and they attack the tower again to retrieve it. We know that they believe the horn sounder must be bound to the crystal throne so to what ends would they go to if they don't realize Mat is the one who blew it and he's going to get it.

Mat believes the Amyrlin will know where it is. I don't think the White Tower would have let the horn go. They had a watch on it when Fain reclaimed the dagger so I doubt it went unnoticed by Elaida that something special must be held there. The only issue might be if Elaida tells the Seanchan about it and they attack the tower again to retrieve it. We know that they believe the horn sounder must be bound to the crystal throne so to what ends would they go to if they don't realize Mat is the one who blew it and he's going to get it.

Is there any hint in the book that Elaida knew where the HoV was? I recall that Siuan told Verin that only they need to know where the HoV was. It wasn't stored in the WT's angreal storage room (which can be accessed by any AS).

Archived