DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will the Gray Fox do in aMoL?

TootThatHorn

If this is already a topic delete this one

I figure Thom will be bonded by Moiraine, which means that he will definitely be protective of her. But as far as the last battle is concerned, what will he be doing? He is wasted in a fight against an army of darkspawn and wouldn't stand a chance. Will there be some people in desperate need of assassinations? I don't know, especially since it's pretty certain Moiraine is headed for Shayol Ghul. I would love to hear some ideas.

p.s. also how cool is Moiraine's name? It fits in well with how she really did pretty good for getting out of Rand's way and allowing him to do the major things he needed to do. Ever since Gitara's foretelling she has been caught up in has path, and gone with it in a total state of grace.

:)

The longer answer is, based on the fact that Moiraine promised Thom knowledge about the women responsible for the Vileness, and that Thom has a lingering sense of debt for Owyn, I believe that he will play a major role in getting the Asha'man on an equal footing with the Aes Sedai, politically speaking.

Specifically, I think the Black Tower's going to be destroyed utterly when it's rent in blood and fire, and that in the aftermath the Asha'man will set up camp in Tar Valon, and that the Black Tower will be built out of what began as the foundations for Elaida's palace. From there, Thom's role will be ensuring that the men gain an equal footing with the Aes Sedai in the new order (perhaps some form of unified government). This would involve compromise from both sides--something the disposessed Asha'man would likely swallow with more ease than the Aes Sedai--this is where Thom's knowledge and skill comes in. He has something over the Tower, and I think he will use it to help the Asha'man, and thus do what he failed to do for Owyn.

And to be clear, I do not believe that the Asha'man will become Aes Sedai, but rather that Aes Sedai and Asha'men will become a singular political body, the men named Asha'man, the women Aes Sedai. There may be a unified training system though, and other absortions--like I could see the men taking on Ajah's and thus being able to sit in the Hall.

:)

The longer answer is, based on the fact that Moiraine promised Thom knowledge about the women responsible for the Vileness, and that Thom has a lingering sense of debt for Owyn, I believe that he will play a major role in getting the Asha'man on an equal footing with the Aes Sedai, politically speaking.

Specifically, I think the Black Tower's going to be destroyed utterly when it's rent in blood and fire, and that in the aftermath the Asha'man will set up camp in Tar Valon, and that the Black Tower will be built out of what began as the foundations for Elaida's palace. From there, Thom's role will be ensuring that the men gain an equal footing with the Aes Sedai in the new order (perhaps some form of unified government). This would involve compromise from both sides--something the disposessed Asha'man would likely swallow with more ease than the Aes Sedai--this is where Thom's knowledge and skill comes in. He has something over the Tower, and I think he will use it to help the Asha'man, and thus do what he failed to do for Owyn.

And to be clear, I do not believe that the Asha'man will become Aes Sedai, but rather that Aes Sedai and Asha'men will become a singular political body, the men named Asha'man, the women Aes Sedai. There may be a unified training system though, and other absortions--like I could see the men taking on Ajah's and thus being able to sit in the Hall.

these are great. Thom as a diplomat and negotiator in a sense...I agree, the ashaman and aes sedai could be seperate yet involved completely, especially if elaida's tower is integrated well in to the white tower, which needs remodeling anyways

It makes me wonder whether Thom might be the first named, known character to be trained as Asha'man. It's in his gene pool, and whilst RJ said he can't channel (referring to the flash of blue lightning during his fight with the fade at Whitebridge), that doesn't mean he couldn't potentially learn.

Or he just plays diplomat and agent.

Continuing in the same vein, I think Thom might help Rand out at Merrilor with establishing the Dragon's peace, with the Seanchan (since he knows Tuon and the Seanchan seem to think he is some kind of big general) and Aes Sedai.

He has the skill for the first, the status for the second, and the motive/"one up" on the Aes Sedai, if Moiraine tells him about the Reds.

Continuing in the same vein, I think Thom might help Rand out at Merrilor with establishing the Dragon's peace, with the Seanchan (since he knows Tuon and the Seanchan seem to think he is some kind of big general) and Aes Sedai.

He has the skill for the first, the status for the second, and the motive/"one up" on the Aes Sedai, if Moiraine tells him about the Reds.

That's some excellent thinking! For some reason, I don't think this is going to be but it would fit him well.

+1 to Luckers thoughts above. Thom can solve his Owyn (sp.) complex by helping others like him. And in addition to that, Thom seems to be connected to Mat. Their first spell was in TDR and TSR. And then they reconnected from LoC till ToM. And they are still together. So, Thom might have a role to play in helping Mat bring some changes to Seanchan ethos.

What if Thom has 'The Song'? Sorry, kind of lame, but I couldn't resist. I don't think his role will do much with the Reds in the last book. Perhaps if there was an Outrigger book about it. I kind of like the idea of Thom learning how to Channel. I don't personally recall any of the viewings Min has of him. Thom is one of my favorite characters. He seems more of a reluctant hero, and always doing hidden plot advances to help but not to be credited for. People getting killed that needed to die.

What if Thom has 'The Song'? Sorry, kind of lame, but I couldn't resist. I don't think his role will do much with the Reds in the last book. Perhaps if there was an Outrigger book about it. I kind of like the idea of Thom learning how to Channel. I don't personally recall any of the viewings Min has of him. Thom is one of my favorite characters. He seems more of a reluctant hero, and always doing hidden plot advances to help but not to be credited for. People getting killed that needed to die.

Min's viewing in Baerlon included Thom. He was a part of the "thing" the gang were involved in. He is important; at least as important as Lan if not more.

Min's viewing in Baerlon included Thom. He was a part of the "thing" the gang were involved in. He is important; at least as important as Lan if not more.

Yeah, although that could be solely in regards to his rescue of Moiraine. IN this case though, I think the "thing" means the Last Battle, not just important for something along the way. I find that Thom's role is underestimated by many people because he has taken such an inconspicuous role. However, he has been there pretty much the whole time except for PoD where Mat also misses out. I think he will be a big part of the LB, if not exactly as much as the main characters.

It's funny, because the way people view Thom is exactly what he would want people to see him as (if he were real). he likes to take the sidelines and influence events and people while they don't notice, which is what has happened even with the readers.

Yeah, although that could be solely in regards to his rescue of Moiraine. IN this case though, I think the "thing" means the Last Battle, not just important for something along the way. I find that Thom's role is underestimated by many people because he has taken such an inconspicuous role. However, he has been there pretty much the whole time except for PoD where Mat also misses out. I think he will be a big part of the LB, if not exactly as much as the main characters.

It's funny, because the way people view Thom is exactly what he would want people to see him as (if he were real). he likes to take the sidelines and influence events and people while they don't notice, which is what has happened even with the readers.

Thom is by far the most accomplished support character in the books. I don't want to compare him and Lan; but I think that Thom's actions are more diverse and have helped more characters ...

Flight from Emond's Field

Shadar Logoth

Cairhien and killing the King

Mat in Tar Valon and Caemlyn

Rand in Tear

Nynaeve and Elayne in Tanchico, Amadicia

Ebou Dar, Bowl of Winds, Mat's escape

Mat's journey from Ebou Dar to Caemlyn

Moiraine and the ToGji

Thom's very important because Elayne and all the Ta'veren respect him which leads me to believe that he will have a big part in the Dragon's Peace and convincing everyone to follow Rand's plan for TG. Moiraine will most likely not be in the front line at TG so he can watch for any traitorous DFs trying to stab or shoot her in the back. In response to somebody saying that the Asha'man would make ajahs so they could be in the hall, ludicrous the men will have something completely different than a rainbow type classification system for differentiating their groups. Maybe he might establish a sort of joint hall where men and women sit on it equally but the men have done everything different thus far so male ajahs should be out of the question. I feel that him getting revenge for Owyn might be one of the side stories BS overlooks since it can probably be left out and not effect the story too much.

Thom should have a kind of mediator role in the Dragon's Peace (if it still happens) because he is kinda like the respected uncle of the EotW Two Rivers crew and like a father to Elayne. The only other person to 'demand' that kind of respect from them would be Moraine. Even Tuon respects Thom enough to listen to him.

The Asha'man don't need Ajahs but they could use Thom's help in getting them to the same political level as the White Tower

I hope Thom does get revenge for Owyn but I don't think it will be in the book

I would think that it's obvious that Thom's revenge plotline is closed. Elaida would have been behind Owyn's capture and gentling - the attack aimed at Thom with the aim of decreasing his influence with Morgase. Her allies would have been involved as well. Many of the likely ones are dead, Black, or turned Black. Elaida was not often a good judge of character when picking allies.

As for his part in the final chapter? Tough call. I guess there's good chance that he and Moiraine won't survive the final encounter. But at the very least, at the open of the book, he'll be bonded to her and perhaps even married. No doubt he'll be concerned with preserving her life until Shayol Ghul. We KNOW from the cover art that they at least make it that far.

He's also tied to Mat, and I figure he and Moiraine will be in Camelyn helping out while Mat tries to save it.

It's a strange prediction, because he's now tied to Moiraine even more strongly than his ties to Mat. She needs to be with Rand. I guess he'll have to leave Mat eventually.

It makes me wonder whether Thom might be the first named, known character to be trained as Asha'man. It's in his gene pool, and whilst RJ said he can't channel (referring to the flash of blue lightning during his fight with the fade at Whitebridge), that doesn't mean he couldn't potentially learn.

Or he just plays diplomat and agent.

This.

Damn how amazing would that be! Him and Damer mumbling about these young upstarts. Damn kids, weaving air and fire all around all willy nilly! RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!!!

Luckers, I have got to give you mad props. That was probably the coolest thing Thom can do at this point in the series.

Kind of being the main diplomat for the Black Tower.

This just reminded me,

Brigitte helped form the White Tower

Thom can help form the new Black Tower, or whatever the Asha Men decide to call it after aMoL

I think Thom should be a hero of the horn, over Lan atleast. Lets face it hes a wiry old man that gets the job done. I wouldn't be surprised if in ages come to pass its the Gray Fox not the Dragon who supposedly saved the world. Muahahaha!

Archived