DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jain for the Horn?

Just a small thought. Does anyone think that Jain Farstrider has earned a place with the Heroes of the Horn of Valear? Or where his acts not enough? I think he was pretty damn brave entering the realm of the Aelfin and Eilfin, and he gave his life to help Matt and Thom escape.

(Sorry if any of the names are misspelt, i listen to the audio books so i dont really know how there spelt)

If Jain is worthy he was always worthy. Since most people attached to the Horn were revolving heroes. Why wouldn't Jain be one of the come again Heroes? The Horn doesn't have a criteria list that a hero must achieve to be attached to the horn.

The horn was only used once in the books and when it was only two people were recognized in the mass of heroes. So there is no measure of who can be attached to the Horn.

Why is something that was in the book for maybe five hundred pages total, and most of that was when they chased it across the world, so important to everyone who reads the almost hundred thousand other pages. The Horn is pretty much useless.

If Jain is worthy he was always worthy. Since most people attached to the Horn were revolving heroes. Why wouldn't Jain be one of the come again Heroes? The Horn doesn't have a criteria list that a hero must achieve to be attached to the horn.

The horn was only used once in the books and when it was only two people were recognized in the mass of heroes. So there is no measure of who can be attached to the Horn.

Why is something that was in the book for maybe five hundred pages total, and most of that was when they chased it across the world, so important to everyone who reads the almost hundred thousand other pages. The Horn is pretty much useless.

I agree with what you say about Jain. But i wouldnt say the Horn is useless, the Heroes when brought back with the Horn were immune to everything thorwn at them. I would say that will be a pretty useful tool in the Last Battle, a group of powerful heroes capable of fighting without being wounded or dying? I would want that group around me if i was Matt, considering he claims he hates being put in danger lol

On a side note, that does bring up a question. I belive the One Power didn't harm the Heroes, but will the True Power touch them if the Forsaken decide to start flinging it around?

With how the series grew from three book deal to a six book deal to a twelve book deal to thirteen books, I think the Horn is one of those items/plots that is a victim of the ever-changing length of the series. Since it is an endgame type of item, I never expected it to reappear until the end.

If you think about it, maybe the Aelfinn and Eelfinn didn't kill him. He would be a great "treat" for them if they like to sift through people's memories and emotions. His would definitely be worth savoring. I mean, I do hate to think of him being tortured or anything.......but think about it!

I must disagree on both of these points. First off, when the horn is sounded in tGH, they recognize many right off the bat. Rogosh Eagle Eye, Gaidal Cain, Birgitte (though she's been removed through TAR for now), Hawkwing, and at least one or two more. Numbering barely over a hundred.

Second, it's very important because A: it's in the Karaethon Cycle linked to the LB, the heroes are basically invincible (at least to OP and physical attacks), and will probably serve as generals/battle leaders as well. The thing is, it's been in the White Tower since Mat brought it back with Verin, and they haven't needed it or bothered to use it, but i imagine it'll play a big roll in AMoL.

Lastly, I think Jain is definitely in as a hero, as well as a few others. Hawkwing even says in tGH there's a chance Hurin could end up as one, so we just don't know what the criteria are exactly.

Lastly, I think Jain is definitely in as a hero, as well as a few others. Hawkwing even says in tGH there's a chance Hurin could end up as one, so we just don't know what the criteria are exactly.

I would like to see Verin as a Hero, throwing some hardcore Ghost-Hero-Power fireballs and lightnings down.

The horn was only used once in the books and when it was only two people were recognized in the mass of heroes.

Could you clarify that statement?

Well lets see. A group of "Heroes" walk up. Hawkwing was the only one who said anything. A few people snickered. One guy had two swords on his back. One girl had a silver bow. One guy looked like Eagle Eye. The rest were kind of vague at best. Plus they had no way of knowing who these people were outside of reading books or listening to stories. They just assumed that they were Heroes of Legend.

The horn was only used once in the books and when it was only two people were recognized in the mass of heroes.

Could you clarify that statement?

Well lets see. A group of "Heroes" walk up. Hawkwing was the only one who said anything. A few people snickered. One guy had two swords on his back. One girl had a silver bow. One guy looked like Eagle Eye. The rest were kind of vague at best. Plus they had no way of knowing who these people were outside of reading books or listening to stories. They just assumed that they were Heroes of Legend.

That's not what happened at all. More than Hawkwing talked and Rand knew every single on of them, all hundred plus.

TGH

At first the dense mists hid more than that, but slowly they came closer, and it was Rand's turn to gasp. He knew them. Men, not all in armor, and women. Their clothes and their weapons came from every Age, but he knew them all.

Rogosh Eagle-eye, a fatherly looking man with white hair and eyes so sharp as to make his name merely a hint. Gaidal Cain, a swarthy man with the hilts of his two swords sticking above his broad shoulders. Golden-haired Birgitte, with her gleaming silver bow and quiver bristling with silver arrows. More. He knew their faces, knew their names. But he heard a hundred names when he looked at each face, some so different he did not recognize them as names at all, though he knew they were. Michael instead of Mikel. Patrick instead of Paedrig. Oscar instead of Otarin.

He knew the man who rode at their head, too.

I think that Jain has earned a place in the wheel to spin out again and again as a hero. Hawkwing was famous and a large general comparable to Alexander yet not always the most well known man nor the bravest hero is tied to the wheel and thus can be pulled from T'A'R by the horn. Would we like to see it? Yes. Could he actually not be worthy? It would make us mad, but no, he might not be worthy. Would it make a great story? Oh yeah. It's just a RAFO at this point.

Channellers seems less likely to be bound just because people would expect more of them. Who would want to read a story about someone with the power to take over the world taking over the world? It is much more likely for someone striving against adversity to be bound than someone who just happened to be born with the power to make everyone do what they wanted making people do what they wanted.

Not saying that they can't be bound, just that that standard for Powered individuals would be higher than the already high standard for non-Powered.

Channellers seems less likely to be bound just because people would expect more of them. Who would want to read a story about someone with the power to take over the world taking over the world? It is much more likely for someone striving against adversity to be bound than someone who just happened to be born with the power to make everyone do what they wanted making people do what they wanted.

Not saying that they can't be bound, just that that standard for Powered individuals would be higher than the already high standard for non-Powered.

Pretty much what I figured. I was just brainstorming about it.

Archived